Service hours for 1st Class, Star, Life

In the Boy Scout Handbook, the requirement of x hours service project doesn't give guidelines, but in the Eagle Section it does.

My question is how are you interpreting this for 1st class, Star and Life since it just says a service project approved by the SM?

I'm thinking that helping in your church homeless meals program should count, working on a habitat for humanity house should count, helping at vacation bible school? helping at cub day camp? volunteering for a service project at summer camp?

What does your troop allow for service hours?

Thanks

Quixote

We do a variety of things. We count the time each Scout helps with Scouting for Food. We also do various service projects when we go camping at our council Scout camps.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

In Advancement Committee Polices and Procedures, No. 33088D, pg 27, it states:

"Second Class Rank

For the Second Class rank, a Scout must participate in a service project or projects apporved by his Scoutmaster. The time of service must be a miniumum of one hour. This project prepares a Scout for the more involved service projects he must perform for Star, Life and Eagle Scout ranks.

Star and Life Ranks

For Star and Life ranks, a Scout must perform six hours of service to others. This may be done as an indivdual project or as a member of a patrol or troop project. Star and Life service projects may be approved for Scouts assiting on Eagle service projects. The Scoutmaster approves the project before it is started."

Like Ed, we also count the Scouting for Food. It is generally the first service that our new scouts do after crossing over in March. This year, though, most of our scouts did their first service project by helping the VFW (our chartering organization) raise fund for the Veterans hospital programs by selling Buddy Poppies. They raised over $400 in 4 hours. It will probably become an annual service project for our troop.

My older son was approved for working in a soup kitchen as his initial service hours when he was a younger scout. Some of our scouts help with Meals on Wheels and at the clothing and food banks.

I don't know about your troop but service hours has NEVER been a problem for us. The bigger issue is that the kids get really tired of clearing brush (seems to be one of the more common service needs) and doing service every time they turn around.

Quixote, on face value, all of what you mention count in our troop. However, for example, the summer camp service project counted for our troop in our goal to receive the "spirit of the totem", a special award the boys receive at summer camp. Therefore, we have a rule that if it counts for that, it does not count for individual rank advancement; i.e. no "double dipping."

Personally, I try to stay away from service projects that benefit the BSA in any way. Although not required for non-eagle service, I believe it is a good policy. That does not mean we do not do service projects for our council or district, it just means that we don't necessarily count it toward our rank service hours. Kind of like cutting your parents lawn vs. cutting your neighbors lawn.

Quixote,

Ourtroop has counted all activities that you listed as service time. We also include such things as helping on an Eagle project, performing work for the scout's church, and tutoring other boys at school when it is voluntary.

Our summer camp also has the Pipestone award which requires service time benefitting the camp. We do not double count this either.

We don't count Eagle projects as service hours for rank. Also, if a Scout wants to do things like tutoring, etc. I get more details & contact the person who will be supervising the Scout for more details.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

OGE,

We have always felt Eagle projects are different than service projects. The Eagle candidate recruits the people to help him and helping is completely voluntary. A regular service project is usually undertaken by a Troop or Patrol & while attendance isn't manditory, it is expected.

Hope this helps.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

It can be a variety of things. It can Scouting for Food, Library Fair, Adopt a Highway, Trail Work on rail trails or on County or State hiking trails (there is no Federal land).

Ed, I'm a little confused by your post. By definition, shouldn't all "service" be voluntary? If not really voluntary, it is not service in my book. Granted service is expected from all youth and adult scouts. However, to try to differentiate between quasi-mandatory service (troop service?) and individual service seems somewhat arbitrary to me.

What do you do if the whole troop pitches in to help on an Eagle service project?

acco40,

Yes all service should be voluntary. Bad choice of words. Eagle projects are required for the Scout who is working on his Eagle. Service project hours are required for ranks below Eagle. To me there is a difference. I'm just having a hard time explaining it.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Ed,

Our Troop has always allowed time at an Eagle Project as service hours for the other ranks. It certainly is an approved service project. The difference in the classification type of these projects makes no difference to the younger Scouts giving of their time to accomplish "their" goals in Scouting. They usually like to support an older Scout Eagle candidate, because they hope to be in that position eventually. The other type of service projects tend to be more lead by the youth leadership, instead of being planned and coordinated by an Eagle Scout candidate. To the younger Scouts, no difference.

anderson

Seems like there is a broad range of opinion - the handbook clearly spells out that the Eagle service project cannot benefit scouting, so my question is does this or should this apply to the Life and Star rank requirements.

Specifically, would you count his volunteering to be a counselor at a Cub Scout Day Camp?

Quixote