Bike Trek or Bike Ride

Our Pack is planning on going on a trip to the Virginia Creeper in October, for those of you who don't know (which I didn't) it is a 17 mile downhill bike ride. The trail is fairly smooth and kind of rolling downhill with the exception of some flat lands near the bottom. The people who run the place say it is easy enough for young kids, inexperienced riders and older people, nothing very strenous.

At our last committee meeting we where picking leaders for all our events, I was nominated to take charge the Virginia Creeper (because I asked a question). Anyway, down to the question.

Would this be considered a bike trek?

I know that under the G2SS Age Appropriate Guidelines for Scouting Activities section the only scouts allowed to go on a bike trek are Webelos and up, and mountain biking is the same, however I would not consider a paved down hill ride mountain biking.

Does this fall under something else that I don't know about that will allow us to do this? Or are we just going to not participate as a Pack?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why you could not do this. To me, anything "trek" related probably includes more than one day. That is solely my interpretation based on personal experience - but what you describe sounds entirely reasonable for cubs.

two things to consider pack15nissan,

one is that the Guidelines for Age Appropriate Activiites does not "prohibit" any activity for any age group. It's guidlines not policies. the policies are in the Guide to Safe Scouting not in the the Guidelines for Age Appropriate Activities. treks are not "recommended" for Cubs, they are not prohibited.

Second, what is the purpose of the trip? The bike is just the mode of transportation, where are yu going and why. if the only purpose is to ride a bike, then can't the scouts stay at home and ride bikes?

In Scout leader training we talk about "hiking for a purpose" and biking is just a type of hiking, it's transportation, what is the attraction that you will use to inspire the Cub to participate?

Just my 2cents.

It's a nice way to spend the day and to be outdoors! Perhaps they will be stopping to see some sights along the way?? See the turning of leaves- depending on the season.

Is it part of the Historic Trails Prgram? I'd do patches for all doing the ride.

What better way to get families off their couch and put down their video games!!

Make sure there are enough adults at all levels so the beginner levels aren't left in the dust alone.

The only time/distance requirements in the current Cub Scout Activities and Sports Program Guide (#34299B) for the Cycling Pin are:

- Belt Loop requirement of a 1/2 hour ride.

- Requirement 1, to document 10 hours of riding.

If you think all your kids can hang for 17 miles, and you think it will add significant value towards the Cycling Pin, go for it. Are your kids conditioned such that a 17 mile ride isn't going to have parents reaching for the muscle ointment the next couple days?

I like one thing Philmont Camping Headquarters encourages: We'll all make it. An event like this needs to be structured for teamwork. If that means shortening it to a 10 miler, do it!

"If you think all your kids can hang for 17 miles, and you think it will add significant value towards the Cycling Pin, go for it. Are your kids conditioned such that a 17 mile ride isn't going to have parents reaching for the muscle ointment the next couple days?"

Good question. Next one would be are the adults conditioned for the ride? I have noticed on some campouts that the Cubs have reserves of energy the adults are lacking.

A few things to consider about this trip.

Will this be a day trip only, or an overnighter?

If it will be an overnight trip, it must be planned and run by your Pack's BALOO trained person.

17 miles, no matter what the people you talked to say, is a long way for the younger boys to bike. What happens when 3-4 miles into the ride some of the boys want to drop out?

What happens if there is an injury along the way? Will there be an easy/quick way to transport to a medical facility if needed?

Ask at your District Roundtable to find out if any other Packs have done this and what their recommendations are.

Make sure to have an approved Tour Permit before the Pack goes.

Thanks everyone for you assistance, since it is not prohibited we will be going on the trip.

This is not an overnight trip. The trip is a very easy ride virtually all down hill. Not too steep but rolling, the only pedal part is the flat part at the bottom which is only about a mile, the rest of the way you just coast and enjoy the ride and sites. When you arrive, you call the place and they send a bus to pick you and your bikes up and take you to the top, when you are done you simply pack up. There are a lot of spots around where you can pull off and have a picnic, see the mountains, and the leaves.

Everyone will know up front that parents should attend with their child and that everyone should know how to ride a bike and that all safety equipment must be worn, even by adults. I don't fore see any kids wanting to drop out, we will take breaks and enjoy the senery.

We have done this before as a Pack several years ago, and everyone involved said it was great and the kids who went (only about 10-15) enjoyed it a lot. I know that there is a Bear achievement on riding that some if not most of the things can be covered during this trip, including going over the safety aspects. I justed wanted to make sure that we weren't violating any policies.

Our troop chose not to ride the Va Creeper because the trail crossed roads at some points. The boys rode the New River Trail instead. However, the troop camped and brought their own bikes.

Doesn't look like much down hill to me I looked at the pictures. I would pre-ride it and judge for your self.....I know that I have traveled routes and walked prospective hikes before an event too see for myself.

As stated earlier 17 miles is a long way for an 8 year old on a bmx bike. Do you have a contingency if you have a few boys poop out at 5 miles, 10 miles???????? You know your boys the best......maybe do it with the weebs first.

Older Cubs (webs, Bears) should be able to handle the VC, Tigers, Wolves, mebbe not.

I would counsel working up to it. Have pre trip Pack meetings about Bike Safety, riding in groups (single file, signals, stopping, ) Have a Pro from a Bike Shop come and do the talk and demo. Mechanical condition of bikes, tighten those bolts, true those wheels, pump those tires, adjust seats for comfort and efficient pedaling. . Make sure someone in your group is tire patch savvy! Small tool kit! Have a "warm up ride" of 5 or 8 miles. Be aware that most if not all of your Cubs have NEVER riden a serious ride like this before. Not to mention the adults. Check their bikes too!

Helmets are required... ADULTS TOO. set the example and be willing to say no to someone who refuses to wear a proper helmet. G2SS and liability and all that.

Carry some water and a small First Aid kit and.... DUCT TAPE..

VC may LOOK all down hill, but you will be helping gravity in places. Plan on at least 3 hours, with pickanic and "look at that" breaks.

And the bail out points.

And a Point Person (kids' pace!) and a Drag (tail) person. "No Scout Left Behind".

Who meets with Pickanic lunch stuff at what point where?

Cell phone exchange.

And do plan on Belt Loop earning, electives, etc. Patches!!

I envy you. Have fun.

I'd be very, very leary of having 6 year olds cross roads after biking 10- 15 miles. I'm assuming you've already checked that all of your kids CAN ride bikes? Some of those tigers may still have training wheels- I'm tellin you now they will never make it 17 miles. Sure, it's all downhill, but then there's the whole balance thing to take into consideration.

You said there is a bus that takes you to the top... will the bus be able to make midway stops? You could either do the bottom half of the trail, or have someone do pick ups at designate points on the road... I would definatly plan for some kids/ parents to not be making it to the bottom.

" if the only purpose is to ride a bike, then can't the scouts stay at home and ride bikes?"

What about just the joy of riding? Hike for a purpose? I just go hiking to get outside and breathe the clean air. I ride for the same reason.

If you really need a purpose, have a picnic waiting at the end of the trail.

17 miles isn't that far on the flat. My kids did a 15 miler on flatland when they were 10 and 8. No problems. They'd zip ahead, fall back, race me, race my wive. Maintaining 10 mph isn't that hard.

My biggest concern would be about the bikes. Do the bikes fit the kids and do the kids fit the bikes? General condition of the bikes? Condition of tires? Brakes? Do the kids understand how to select the right gear for the situation?

"What about just the joy of riding? Hike for a purpose? I just go hiking to get outside and breathe the clean air. I ride for the same reason."

And how old are you GW? You will be very disappointed if you think what motivates someone your age will motivate a Cub Scout.