fake campfires on display

Hi folks, I'm looking for some campfire ingenuity.

For an upcoming cub scout recruiting display I would like to have a fake campfire. I can't use flammables (no propane), I won't have electricity (no fans or plug in lights), and I freely admit my carpentry skills are limited. Dry ice is ok and I have a local source for it (figure I'll use that for "smoke"). Also, this needs to be something that can be sustained or replicated for about 10 hours at a stretch, for 2 days.

So I'm looking for fast-easy-cheap. I recognize it won't be fully authentic but I'm ok with that - the purpose is to get the idea across and maybe also attract the attention of some cub-aged boys. Any ideas out there?

Sometimes trying too hard isn't a good idea. A nice firelay with tinder, kindling and wood displayed open/exposed on one side not only shows the placement of the fire, clean area around (stack of firewood well to the side), but also a demonstration piece to show all the aspects of a good fire build and safety all at the same time. If this is a recruiting piece, the simple demo area can show all the many things the boys will learn as they progress through scouting. Add to the area a fuzz-stick and jackknife , (flint/tinder, bow/spindle, magnesium), match safe, hand-axe and mini axe-yard will all go into everything to make the campfire/cookfire possible. Maybe then the Webelos boys coming into the troop will understand that fire building is more than a stick and a match.

Add to that a Dutch Oven, fry pan, mess kit, lightweight stove (no fuel necessary) camp stove (no fuel necessary), etc.

Boys love fire and to have a demo of how to do it right will quickly catch their attention without any unnecessary faky gimmicks.

I know it doesn't answer the original question, but maybe it was the wrong question for what is trying to be demonstrated.

By the way, dry ice "smoke" does not rise, it just rolls along the floor... A good fire doesn't produce a lot of smoke anyway. :^)

Stosh

Lisabob,

Greetings!

I have created a simulated fire lay for similar indoor ceremonies. From 6 feet away, in darker lighting it tends to create a realistic appearance.

Obtain a 4' x 8' sheet of peg board, and cut in half to a 4 x 4. Secure the fire lay to the other fuel logs by wire and chicken wire. Then wire to the peg board.

Circle all white flickering Christmas lights, thru the center. Between the Christmas lights and wooden logs, and still in the center of the fake fire lay. Place yellow and orange cellophane wrapping paper, between the logs and over the Christmas lights.

Standing directly over it, it appears to be Christmas lights, wrapped in orange and yellow cellophane, and logs surrounding them. Standing at six feet and more, it tends to appear like a realist fire lay.

Good Luck!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Thanks so far for the suggestions. Let me clarify where/why we are doing this. It is part of a Join Cub Scouts booth at a local street fair. We have a rather small area (10x10) and decided to do a campfire scene in one corner with the hope of drawing boys in to see it.

We also have some other displays, hands-on games, and info/flyers. This is our first time doing something of this nature so...all thoughts are welcome.

Those battery powered tea lights seem to be popular and readily available. They would give you the flicker effect. Add to that the colored cellophane and a battery powered tent fan under it all and you should be good to go!

I would ditch the dry ice.

We have something similar we use at our Haunted House. It can be used as a cauldren or hung on a wall. This would work too. Try your local costume/party store. Believe it or not, they are starting to stock up for Halloween already!

We have used something similar to Bob White's. We have some hanging halloween cauldrons with the flames. We had that centered with real wood placed around it. The cord was hidden pretty well.

In the 4th grade class that I teach in, we do skits throughout the year. The students created one with rolled up brown paper logs, with orange, red and yellow flame cut-outs poking out from the arranged logs.

KISMIF!

I like Jblake's take on the fake.

If your on grass/dirt, set up a small tent or fly, too. If asphalt, put down a couple sheets 1/2 inch plywood and stake/ tack things to it. If Scouts available (Den Chiefs?) Demo hatchet sharpening and tent peg making (Totin' Chip stuff).

We have a two man(boy) saw that is an interest grabber, set up a saw buck, a 4 - 5 inch log and let boys cut off a cookie for a souvenir.

Good luck to you.