Need advice on awarding an Arrow of Light

I am a Scoutmaster that is seeking advice from Cub Scouters on the following issue.

We have a Webelo that is interested in crossing over to our Troop as of turning age 10-1/2 and earning his Arrow of Light. His father has indicated that he has completed ALL of the requirements to earn his Arrow of Light. (According to the father) His Den Leader has indicated that he will not award the Arrow of Light because the Scout was not active DURING THE MONTH OF MAY. In that month, the father has indicated that the Scout attended one den meeting, one Pack meeting and two of our Troop meetings. The Den Leader has stated that he will award the Arrow of Light if the Scout participates until November when his son will turn 10-1/2 and will cross over to another Troop. It's our understanding that the Den has completed all of the requirements for the Arrow of Light together. So they will not be working on achievements toward this award between now and November. It's our understanding that the Den leader will be teaching 1st year Boy Scout skills.

We can not appeal to the Cubmaster as the past Cubmaster stepped down in May (and joined our Troop) and the Den Leader took over the Cubmaster role.

We would like to award the Scout with the Arrow of Light, but don't have a written record of his having competed the requirements.

I would love any suggestions on handling this sticky situation.

I'm not sure I understand why the DL feels the scout was inactive during the month of May if the boy attended meetings. I think this is a point to revisit. There is no set percentage or formal definition of active as it applies to the AoL, but that does not mean that the DL can arbitrarily create a standard either (adding to the requirements).

On the other hand, you are the Scout Master, not the Cub Master or DL, or even the parent. You do not have the authority to award the AoL, which is a CUB scout award, not a BOY scout award. Doing so in spite of this will, in all likelihood, result in burned bridges and angry cub leaders. Is that really worth while?

My recommendation is that you sit down with the parent and the cub leader(s) and have a reasonable adult conversation about the requirements and what is best for this boy, and what interests the DL thinks would be served by making this boy wait until November if he's truly ready right now. It may be that the cub DL is just being a stick in the mud and that you can provide him with some gentle course correction. It may also be that the parent is unreasonably and unrealistically expecting his kid to "get" an award that the boy has truly not earned. Surely you've had some experience with such parents expecting boy scout ranks to be handed out like candy, so before you go much further it would be good to do a little more fact checking on the parent's version of things I think.

My advice...stay out of this. Until the scout meets the joining requirements for the troop this is not something you should get involved in. Advise the parent to seek help from the District Commissioner or the District Executive.

Ditto the remarks above, and in addition it would be good for the family to figure out that scouting is not a contest to see who can get done first. If this boy turns 18 but still has three months worth of work left to do on his Eagle Project then maybe he can blame the DL for holding him back those many years before.

Two things- a. you DO have a written record of his acheivements, his DL should have been signing off on his book this whole time.

b. there is nothing you can do about giving him his AOL.

It certainly sounds like the DL is being a putz and not letting this boy cross over because HIS son isn't ready, though. Are you friendly with the DL? Maybe a simple phone call- "hey, I heard from X's dad who says his son is ready to cross. What's up?"

If there truely is no record of the boys advancement in his book, however, you might want to take that up with the district Those books are supposed to be signed off on for a reason!

That said, there's nothing you can do. DAD can take it to the district, though. And isn't there something about not being able to hold 2 positions in the pack anyway?