International Camporee Neckerchief

I am a Tiger leader and my son is a Tiger this year and we are going to the Michigan international Camporee Visitors Day ( http://www.micamporee.org/ ) This is a special trip for us because it is being held at the camp I used to go to as a scout, and my father who will be joining us was a Charter Camper at this camp over 40 years ago.

If we wanted to buy the neckers and slides from this event would we be able to wear them and be considered in uniform? I could I just use the slide for my own normal tiger leader necker and be ok?

My first thought is that despite how cool it would be to have these, basically these would end up being display pieces,

Rythos

I realize that policy may not support this, but I was told that leaders could where whatever neckerchief, slide, and hat they wished as long as it was BSA. Personally I don't like the picnic blanket look of the Webelos hat and neckerchief so I opted for a Cub Scout hat and a Boy Scout neckerchief that matches color.

Again just opinion here, but as long as you are setting the example of wearing the uniform it shouldn't matter which neckerchief and slide you use.

As far as your son is concerned, it would interested for him to wear it a couple of times and tell people about it, but I would think it best for him to match the other boys.

The Camporee neckers are not considered official uniform parts. You are correct, they are more of a display piece. You, as leader might wear one for the first meeting to tell your Tiger Teams about the Camporee, but not as a permanent necker, and not your Tiger.

The slides are a different matter altogether. BSA Insignia Guide states that you can wear the regular slides from National Supply, or other, boy made slides. The Camporee slide would fall in this category. You and your Tiger can both wear the slides with pride!

Have FUN!

Baloney! Wear the necker!

Wear it to the next pack meeting and tell everyone about the camporee. That's a great part of Scouting.

I'm not saying you two should wear from from now on, but for something special go for it.

Without sounding like Uniform Police,Pack212Scouter is correct. The Cub Scout program has specific neckerchiefs for the ranks. The Insignia Guide points that out in black and white. As to a Cub Scouter wearing it, that is their call, although there are specific Leader neckerchiefs also for them.

The Necker Police are going to get me on this, but in our "troop" (gathering of patrols) the boys all carry two neckers, the troop necker and their patrol necker. I as a wood badge graduate carry two as well, my WB necker and the troop necker. When we travel and function as a whole, everyone wears the troop necker, when the boys operate as a patrol, they wear their patrol necker. If someone comes to a meeting with a specialty necker, they wear it with the expectation that the other boys get a full accounting of all the fun he went through to get the necker. After that, it is his disgression to wear it as he wishes, but once the novelty wears off it normally gets packed away in his scouting memoir box. I occasionally drag out a specialty necker when I want to hint to the boys that they might want to consider the event I went on to get the necker. I have a BWCA specialty necker we got when my troop took another troop up there because they had never gone on a high adventure trip and we hosted them to show them how much fun it was. We got the neckers so that the boys from both troops would all look the same. I also have my Philmont necker (signed by everyone on the crew, again multiple troops were involved) so that I can promote the fun I had at Philmont.

Neckers are good PR for the patrols, troops and special events, wear them proudly and don't worry about the Necker Police.

Stosh

I guess the Necker Police have found me out.

Yes, that is correct, but my boy wore the yellow/blue necker all the way through Cub Scouting, no one arrested him and he got his Arrow of Light and when he crossed over, they took his yellow/blue and replaced it with his new troop necker. If it has caused him any serious emotional stress, it never really manifested itself. And as far as any peer-pressure he never mentioned it nor asked about getting/needing any other necker.

Stosh

And the point would be? That I am Neckerchief Police? Doubt it. That you chose for your son, or he chose not to follow the program's uniform policy? I always assumed the Insignia Guide was printed with a purpose in mind.

Once again, you are correct. And all kidding aside, no, I don't think you're a Necker Police.

There is a reason and purpose to the rules. Some units/dens follow them to the T and others focus on other emphasises and let things slide. It would possible to assume that my son's den and pack didn't seem to worry too much about the uniform, none of the boys wore uniform pants, (another grosse infraction of the rules) and yet all the boys seem to have a good time, and most earned their Arrow of Light, and went on to Boy Scout troops that didn't follow the uniform rules either.

In the greater scheme of things, I guess if I had to err it would be on the side of the boys having a good time, wearing neckers they are proud of, telling the stories of how they got them, and basically enjoy the fun of scouting. If they are falling in for a special flag ceremony, make the effort to "Do Your Best" to look good.

I have found over the years that especially the necker is a great tool in developing unit pride, (patrol pride as well for the older boys), something that often times has a great story behind it, and something that makes a nice momento for the boy to remember the great times he had in the past. If the cub wants all three neckers and a few extras, what's the harm? If the boy only wants one necker and is satisfied, what's the big deal.

When all is said and done, in our Council, I only know of one Cub Scout that owned a full uniform that had all 3 Cub neckers. The Necker Police would have a holiday here, but inspite of it all, there's a ton of boys having a good time in the program.

The original post asked what would be appropriately fun for the boy with a specialty necker, and my advice was to milk out as much fun as possible with it before storing it away in his momento box. My advice still stands.

Stosh