Tiger Cub Den Leader Award

Hi! This is my first post I think. I've just finished my first year of scouting and wondered if I could get that Tiger knot for my uniform. (I know it's all about the boys, but I'd like to earn one measly knot for all the work I've done. I do enjoy the boys saying thank you the most however and waving to me when I visit school.) Anyway, I can't decide what I've got left to do. Can you help?

Tenure

Complete one year as a registered Tiger Cub Den Leader.

(Dates of service used to earn this award cannot be used to earn another key or award.)

So, we're coming up on the anniversery of School Night for Scouting when I was recruited as a new Tiger Den Leader. That's out of the way right?

Training

Complete "The New Tiger Cub Den Leader" Fast Start training.

Complete basic training for Tiger Cub Den Leaders.

Complete Youth Protection Training.

Done.

During your tenure for this award, participate in a Cub Scout leader pow wow or University of Scouting, or attend at least four roundtables.

Performance

I went to an all day training thing where I earned my "TRAINED" patch. Is that it?

Do all of the following:

Conduct a Tiger Cub roundup for your pack with at least five new Tiger Cub boy/adult teams recruited. [\quote]

What's a roundup? Would that be this coming School Night for Scouting or the day I visit school classes in uniform or none of those?

Contact the host team each month and provide support as needed for one year. [\quote] Huh? What's a host team?

Coordinate Tiger Cub den participation in three Cub Scout pack activities each year. [\quote]

Hmmm... We have three dens. Does this mean I have to coordinate all three dens or just mine? Does it have to have been done last year or could I spill back? What if I helped coordinate pack activities in general? I'm confused about this one.

Graduate a Tiger Cub den into Cub Scouting with at least 60 percent of the Tiger Cubs becoming Cub Scouts. [\quote]

Done. 80% earned their badge, 90% coming back.

Report on the progress of Tiger Cub dens at 75 percent of pack leader meetings[\quote]

Huh? Is this this keeping up with everyone progress toward their tiger badge, beltloops, pins, etc.? If so I had that under control all year long.

Thanks ahead of time.(This message has been edited by AlabamaDan)

OK, let's see..............

Tenure

Complete one year as a registered Tiger Cub Den Leader.

(Dates of service used to earn this award cannot be used to earn another key or award.)

So, we're coming up on the anniversery of School Night for Scouting when I was recruited as a new Tiger Den Leader. That's out of the way right?

I would say so.

Training

Complete "The New Tiger Cub Den Leader" Fast Start training.

Complete basic training for Tiger Cub Den Leaders.

Complete Youth Protection Training.

Done.

During your tenure for this award, participate in a Cub Scout leader pow wow or University of Scouting, or attend at least four roundtables.

Performance

I went to an all day training thing where I earned my "TRAINED" patch. Is that it?

Well, did you go to a pow wow? You should know what it was called. Did you attend at least four round tables. Pow Pow is where you might take 4 -5 different classes about different scouting topics.

Do all of the following:

Conduct a Tiger Cub roundup for your pack with at least five new Tiger Cub boy/adult teams recruited. [\quote]

What's a roundup? Would that be this coming School Night for Scouting or the day I visit school classes in uniform or none of those?

Round up is where you were probably recruited last year. You need to conduct one and have at least 5 new tigers sign up. Your pack will probably have one in September.

Contact the host team each month and provide support as needed for one year. [\quote] Huh? What's a host team?

Huh, you don't know what a host team is? I thought I read you attended tiger leader training and worn a trained patch. Did you ever read the tiger book?

When you read the Tiger book, you will find that each tiger meeting is to be held or conducted by a different boy/parent team, say at their house or meeting place of their choosing for example.

Did the parent or guardian attend each activity with the tiger cubs?

Coordinate Tiger Cub den participation in three Cub Scout pack activities each year. [\quote]

Hmmm... We have three dens. Does this mean I have to coordinate all three dens or just mine? Does it have to have been done last year or could I spill back? What if I helped coordinate pack activities in general? I'm confused about this one.

No, just your den. Not pack activities. Did you coordinate your dens participation in the Pinewood Derby, rain gutter regatta, Blue and Gold or other activities?

Graduate a Tiger Cub den into Cub Scouting with at least 60 percent of the Tiger Cubs becoming Cub Scouts. [\quote]

Done. 80% earned their badge, 90% coming back.

Report on the progress of Tiger Cub dens at 75 percent of pack leader meetings[\quote]

Huh? Is this this keeping up with everyone progress toward their tiger badge, beltloops, pins, etc.? If so I had that under control all year long.

No, but you should have kept track of thier awards anyway. You must have attended at least 75% of the monthly leader/committee meetings. These meetings are not den meetings or pack meetings, they are meetings with you and the other den leaders or committee members. You report the progress to the CC of what your boys have been doing and what they have completed, along with future planning.

If you are not sure I'd say you did not earn it, otherwise you'd know what Roundtables were as well as Pow-wow and Univeristy of scouting. not every councli has the last two but the RT's are open to all leaders. Find out about them and attend this year and try for the Cub scout Leader knot.

The only item I missed for my Tiger year was the RT/PW/Uscouting requirement. Since that line item is required and not optional that rules it out. I was able to earn my den leader award this year. I looked back after the year and was able to chekc off everything and did not start the year trying to earn this, as I did not know about it at the time.

Thanks for the reply.

I did attend lots of round tables. Learned alot. I didn't attend a Univ or Scouting. But I did attend this all day "thing" where I took about five classes on scouting, leadership and tiger stuff. It was early on and I don't recall if people called it a "pow wow" or not, but it sounds like the same thing.

I did attend all but one of the pack leader meetings. We hold one per month.

I've coordinated my den's participation in the PWD, B&G, Pack Picnic, Day Camp, overnight 3 day campout, cave overnighter...

Oh! The host team is the boy/father who helped with a meeting!

Sounds like I've just got to run a Round up, which I think we call School Night for Scouting and recruit 5 tigers.

Thanks so much.

The Tiger Cub Den Leader Award requirements are confusing because they are not based on that job or even the Tiger program as we know it.

When the Tiger program was introduced in the early 1980's, there was no such position as Tiger Den Leader. There were no beads, no Tiger book, no Tiger rank (just a Tiger Cub Graduate patch) no Go-See-Its, no blue uniforms worn and the Tigers were only invited to no more than three total pack meetings and pack activities. Tiger meetings were to be held once a month, hosted by each Tiger Cub partner family.

Each pack had a Tiger Cub Coach. This role was like an Assistant Cubmaster whose job was to guide the parent-son partners that made up this leader-less den. The Tiger Cub Coach did not ordinarily have a son in the den.

The requirements for this knot are based on that job, not that of Tiger Den Leader. The original name of this knot was the Tiger Cub Group Coach Award, then the Tiger Cub Coach Award. The name of the knot was changed around 2001 after Tiger Den Leaders were finally an official part of the program.

Here is an old website that still shows the requirements for the Tiger Cub Group Coach Award:

http://www.scoutingbsa.org/Programs/CubScouts/CubScout_Adult_Leader_Awards/Tiger_Cub_Group_Coach_Award.html

What you will notice is the requirements are EXACTLY the same as the Tiger Cub Den Leader Award. Even though the job of Tiger Den Leader is very different than Tiger Cub Group Coach, the requirements were never updated.

I once heard talk of discontinuing this award, since (some might say) the job of Tiger Den Leader is no different than that of Wolf or Bear Den Leader. Personally, I think Tiger Den Leader will always be a different job with its own special challenges, no matter how closely we incorporate Tigers dens into the pack. In any case, since the award is still around, it really is time the requirements are updated. (My two cents.)

Yes, I am sure some people have found ways to interpret these requirements so they make sense, but they were designed for something very different.

Yes. Tiger Dens are supposed to be run using Shared Leadership. The Den meetings are divided up between the Tiger Teams (Tiger and his Adult Partner). The Team plans and runs the meeting, or outing, with help and encouragement from the Tiger Den Leader.

The performance requirement - Contact the host team each month and provide support as needed for one year. - makes perfect sense, as do all of the other requirements in the context of the current Tiger program.

(This message has been edited by ScoutNut)