Who would go for an Ettiquette Merit badge?

Scoutmaster424

I'm glad you like the idea. I think I mentioned that we hold ours in December, so it takes care of the Christmas Party and COH. Although it has a military origin, I think that military is not an accurate description. Formal fits better. I believe your guests and scouts will have a great time. If you need to ask any more questions, just contact my personal email. Thanks

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm. The Dining in is not a bad plan. As regards the military I gather that you have uniform, flags to be brought in, toasts to the Queen (joke - read President or something), ranks and appointments that require people to play certain roles - therefor a military script is probably a good beginning. It sounds like an excellant time to publicly recognise people for their contributions etc.

Our Army doesn't have the repartee that Rooster 7 describes (our Air Force does but it always seemed contrived to me). Alternatively several people make speeches and hopefully they are good ones (amusing etc). We also spread our guests about the dining hall so that everyone at the same table can enjoy their company and help with hosting. To keep the Scouts working on the manners you might similarly position experts (SM's etc) at each table so that they can:

be a role model,

keep the proceedings civil,

correct manners quietly and without fuss.

Just my preference to Rooster 7's method.