Advancement Computer Program

Since I am a new leader and want to do the best I possibly can for my boys I decided to find some software that would help keep up with their advancement and achievements. I found a couple for free on the internet and tried them, one being Trax and just thought they did not get as deep as I would like and they lacked some things I wanted so I developed my own. I have almost finished the Webelos program and have completed Tigers and Bears, I will be working on a Wolf and one for tracking leader training. When I showed them to our CM and other leaders they thought they where great to move away with paper and to have something that based on the info you provide tells if the boys have earned a rank or award. They suggested I pitch it to our council and put it on our Pack's website to sell. Is something like that really going to sell?

This program is easy to use and very in depth, but would people rather buy it than download something free even if it is not as good. I would appreciate any comments about this, like would it sell, and how much is a reasonable price.

I am not really trying to make any money I originally did it for my own Pack's use and am hoping if it does sell to put the money toward a new pinewood derby track.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it could never hurt to try. Part of the issue of selling it might be people sharing it if it is not copy protected. That said, we as Scouters are suposed to be honest! Generally speaking, I think that most tracking software that sells, does alot more than just advancements and also links to BSA. Our Pack just transitioned to PackMaster because of these reasons and for ease of transition to the Troop which uses TroopMaster. We are continueing to use Trax on the Den level because it is a much better visual and advancement system than PackMaster for Den leaders. I would say if you have developed something better than Trax, it might sell. I am curious as to how it works. You may try it as Shareware, ie. try it and send money if you like it. I'd also try to approach local Packs to start. It is easier to sell if they know you and can see it.

As far as selling it is concerned, I am planning on taking it to one the roundtables and showing it to all of the Packs in our Council and maybe that will help get it started. There is always the chance that some one will make copies but I am not worried about that, it isn't Windows and if people are going to steal then I am not going to great lenghts to stop them.

From what I have seen of PackMaster it may be a good program but the recording of achievements and tracking of advancements is lacking as you said.

Basically the program is designed partially off of the Trax programs, just a lot more in depth. I am the Webelos leader so I wanted it to cover everything that I needed for that group. It keeps track of each scouts info, attendance, progress toward Webelos Badge, Arrow of Light, Bobcat (if needed), Leave No Trace, Outdoor Activity Award, and keeps a track of the individual parts of each badge. It them tells me if the badge or anything has been earned. It also gives me a summary (all scouts on one sheet) of what has been earned and what has been awarded, and has an individual page for each scout so that parents can keep track too. The main difference is the adding of the LNT and Outdoor Activity Award. The setup for other programs is similar but the format is different than Trax.

The Bear and Tiger program are broke down into individual pages rather than one big page and some glitches have been fixed that Trax has (completion of achievements and counting of World Conservation toward Arrow Points). It is very user friendly.

Personally, for individual den use, there are enough decent free programs out there, that I would not pay for one.

For a program that you pay for, I prefer one that covers the entire Pack and can be customized for local awards. There are a number of these tracking programs out there now. Some are Packmaster, Scout Data (free but not very adaptable yet), Scout Track, and Scout Manage.

For my den I have taken one of the free programs and adapted it for my own use. Our Pack uses Pack Manage.

I have tried several types of free software and what I have developed is more in depth and user friendly then any of them.

The programs can be compiled to store data into a large database much like PackMaster and it is customizable to include local awards. This is not some simple spreasheet you put your info into, it is an intelligent system to track achievements and advancement. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

I have been using the Trax spreadsheets for four years and like them a lot. I believe they do almost everything that you describe your program can do. True, the additional awards (WCA, OAA, LNT, etc.) have been removed from the rank-specific spreadsheets and moved to a new, separate spreadsheet, but it was not much trouble to add them back in to the rank-specific spreadsheets.

I am always looking for a better way to do things, so I would check out your program if it was free, but I would not pay to replace something that is already working for me (a Scout is Thrifty).

Okay, from what I can see, it is going to be pretty hard to sell my program because there is one similar (perhaps not as good but comperable) to mine available for free. I can understand that, don't spend money on something you don't need.

What we software need to do compared to Trax to be worth buying? (keep in mind we are talking $10-20)

Is there something that you guys and gals would want the software to do better, different, new?

Sounds like you may have found something that works. I only have one question, what is the program basis of your system. Is it excell (Like the Trax) or is it Access. Or have you written a completely new program for tracking.

I am always looking for new ways to track information for the boys in my pack, but right now I use Trax and that works fine. If there is something that is better and comes with updates, I would be interested in looking into it. As long as it is supported and updates are available.

Can you give me some more information.

The program basis is Excel (Access is too expensive and not enough people have it). There are some things that I like better than Trax and ultimately it will leave room for user added local awards and a compiling program for the entire packs awards and advancements.

I will always provide support for anything I do, problems, questions, advice, whatever. Since the discs would be relatively cheap like $10 each den and $50-$60 for the entire pack including leaders and compiling, and considering that Cub Scout requirements don't change too drastically too often I was not planning on offering updates. If I did offer an update it would be for a slight fee $2 or something.

Pricing is something I could really use some ideas on.

I dunno, I agree with Scoutnut. why pay for something that, with minimal work on your part, you can get for free?

I honestly did up my own spreadsheets, and can easily print out the requirements for each Bl/pin/badge whenever we plan to work on them. Seems easy enough to me, I wouldn't pay for something that might save me an extra 10 mintues. But, if it works for you, then congrats on devising a program that is good enough to market! I hope you do find buyers, and that your boys get thier new Pinewood Derby track.

One of the problems in the software world is that once people have something that works, they don't want to change even if a superior application comes along.

Word Perfect was widely entrenched but missed the march when Windows hit big. MS was there firstest with the mostest and even though WP for Windows is now a superior product, they are lagging behind. The same thing happened with Lotus 123.

If you are intent on doing this, you'll have to almost give it away for a while and also provide a mechanism to convert their data to your format.

I agree with Goldwinger.

You will have to possibly give it away to some before you are able to market it. Kind of like a Beta testing group.

I like the Trax, I have started using it, and I like the way it works.

I hope that you figure things out and are able to market your application soon

There is redistributable versions of access and it is available very reasonable. Or why not write in in MYSQL which is free as well. or how about doing it in open office, that is free too.

Excel really isn't a database. Yes it is easy . Before you sell your creation you may wish to read your user license agreement. The Evil empire wants their cut, per copy.(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

I guess no matter how much I dislike it I must face the music and realize that my software is probably not going to sell.

Trax has beat me to the punch. Although I don't agree, I guess it is better to have something for free than something slightly better for money. The only thing I can really hope for is to pitch it to the other Packs in my council and hope people aren't using or don't like Trax.

As far as software goes, I have put a lot of time into writing this program and will not switch over to something different. This really started out as something to help me and some of the other leaders in our Pack and I had hoped to make some money for our Pack, so if I don't then I don't at least my main goal was accomplished.

Does anyone out there have any problems with Trax or just some suggestions to include in my program? (I want to make the best program I can even if I don't sell it).