My Packs website...what do you think??

I figured I would plug the website that I have set up for my pack. I am trying to make it fun and useful for the cubs and parents. Would a few of ya'll mind checking it out and tell me what you think?

www.geocities.com/cspack56

Thanks in advance,

Tim Dyer

Very nice. Easy to navigate, pages load quickly even with pictures, nice use of colors and fonts.

I agree with Ed, add the first name of the boys to the den pages and try to get a den group photo.

Thank you for your input. I agree that putting the den photo would be a good idea. However, I don't feel comfortable putting the boys first name and photo, from a youth protection point of view. So, looking at it from that stand point, I could put their first name OR den photo. I personally theink that the boys would like to see themselves rather than just their first name.

I don't want to place any more risk than necassary on the boys.

Tim Dyer

I agree with the original poster about the names being posted. I would be OK to have the boys' first names and last initials OR photo(s), but not both together, as it is an invite for problems. I believe this is actually addressed in the BSA guidelines for Scouting Web sites.

Nice site...wouldn't mind some feeback on my pack site as well (http://www.scoutworld.org/pack198/) if anybody gets a chance, as well as my district site (http://www.chippewadistrict.org/).

Thanks, everybody!

Hi tdyer56:

Good looking site.

If you are looking for comments to improve the site, may i suggest that you place on your site things that are particular to your pack, and not items that can be found on other sites. The links to the requirements are nice, but the boys should have books to look these things up. An alternative would be to show how your dens met the requirements; visits to the fire house, WEBELOS Cub Scouts doing first aid for Readyman, what a color wheel is, etc. Post images of projects that the boys do over the course of the year.

Is this designed to be an ad for prospective members, or is it for the members themselves? A calendar of events or online newsletters would help both.

Lots of pictures of Cubs having fun...pinewood derby, picnic, community service, etc. whatever your pack does, record it on the page.

A note on the navigation; you may want to make the text uniform...keep it consistent on each page, or just have a link to the home page.

When you link to other sites, you may want them to open in their own window, rather than the parent window, that way the visitor can return to your home page by closing the child window.

A technical note: your links to your leaders does not function; you will need to remove the coding for the geocities site before your mailto command.

The contest is a fantastic idea!

Have fun and keep up the good work!

Keep on Scoutin'

ora

ExperiencedUniforms,

As far as having the requirements on the site, I feel it is a great help. Boys do have their own books, but having them their is also for the parents. Or say someone is on vacation and wants to see if they can complete something while away.

Our site is for our pack members. We have a list of upcoming events and a calander. Each den will post their calander after school starts back up and the dens as well. The site also shows others what we are up to. So yes. It is for us AND others.

Our pack has been around for 1 year now and only started this site recently. I feel we have plenty of pictures for the amount of time we have been around. And this next year, we will have more pictures than can be used.

I did not want the text to be uniform. It is meant to be fun for the boys. I personally get a liitle board with sites where everything is the same. Kind of like a person speaking in monotone.

As far as windows opening.....it is a free basic site. You can't do everything.

I did fix the mail link to the leaders. Thanks for that info.

I feel that you are looking to deep into this. Remember that this is a site for the boys, meant to be used by the boys.

Tim Dyer