Webelos Leader + MBC

Can I be both a Webelos Leader and a MBC for the Boy Scouts at the same time?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

From what I read there is no conflict but is it possible there would be, how much time is involved with being a MBC?

I have 2 young kids, one in scouts, is this going to be too much for me to handle?

Yes.

Time involved, depends on the merit badge and what you and scouts bring to it but usually 3 to 5 one hour meetings. Also some councils/districts allow you to limit what troops you serve which greatly reduces demands.

You control your availability. Some counselors can only hold one or two merit badge courses a year due to their life schedule or seasonal constraints. You do not have to drop everything and hold a merit badge course and you can tell scouts 'Sorry but I cannot work on the merit badge this month, please call me back later or contact another counselor'.

My Webelos have high goals this year and the next (before they become Boy Scouts) and I told them if they would work hard I would make sure I would work just as hard for them to achieve their goals. I don't want to take any time away from them and I know that Webelos can be more time consuming than the other ranks of Cub Scouting. However, I do want to give back to the scouts in every way I can.

The Merit Badges I am looking into our Drafting, Architecture, and Engineering. Are these popular Badges? I don't want to do something just to say I am doing that (of CM does enough of that for the whole Pack) but I can't take away from my den. I guess I am just trying to gather information to make a better informed decision.

PACK15NISSAN, my opinion.

Sounds like you have a full plate.

Webelos only lasts for a year and a half or so. Spend that time getting your Webelos ready for Boy Scouts. Get them interested in Boy Scouts. Take your den and visit troop meetings, join in on their outings, definitely get them outside - camping, hiking, Klondike, etc., make some connections - find Boy Scout leaders and Boy Scout who can help out here and there with your Webelos activities, challenge a Boy Scout troop to a pasta bridge building contest. Have fun.

Crossing as many Webs to Scouts as possible is how you can best give back scouts.

Check your district to see if there are merit badge counselors for Drafting, Architecture, and Engineering. If so, then there is time after crossover for you to become a merit badge counselor ('Heh, no wonder your Webs beat the scouts in a pasta bridge building contest.')

A great merit badge counselor helps make a merit badge popular.

If you are that concerned, simply wait until you are done with Webelos.

Or register for only 1 MB instead of 3. Read thru the requirements and pick the one that best fits your available time. If you are contacted by a Scout, and do not have enough time available, simply tell him sorry, not this time. You are not obligated to accept every counseling request that comes your way.

Your son has been a member of BSA for only 4 months, you have been a leader for only about 1. I am not sure I understand the need to sign up for everything all at once before you have suffcient knowledge of the program or are sure you even have the time available.

Learn the BSA program and do a good job with your Webelos. The rest can come later.

I am going to take the advice of the group and wait until after my Webelos move up to become a MBC. I would rather make sure they are ready to become Boy Scouts and then continue to help them as a MBC.

ScoutNut:

What is your problem man? Does it really matter how long I have been involved with scouts or how long my son has either? I don't go through life wondering what I can get, rather I go through thinking how can I give or help. I already know more than a good portion of those out there, that is why the previous den leader handed me the reigns because I had more knowledge of what we are heading into and I am more motivated to get things done.

By the way, my son did more in 4 months than a most scouts do all year. He earned: Bobcat and Bear ranks, Whittling Chip, 4 BL's, World Conservation Award, 2 Arrow Points, and won the Pinewood Derby (with a car that only had 3 wheels for the last 4 races).

Are you just one of those people who sits back and criticizes and complains about everything but never does anything?

I am going to take the advice of the group and wait until after my Webelos move up to become a MBC. I would rather make sure they are ready to become Boy Scouts and then continue to help them as a MBC.

ScoutNut:

What is your problem man? Does it really matter how long I have been involved with scouts or how long my son has either? I don't go through life wondering what I can get, rather I go through thinking how can I give or help. I already know more than a good portion of those out there, that is why the previous den leader handed me the reigns because I had more knowledge of what we are heading into and I am more motivated to get things done.

By the way, my son did more in 4 months than a most scouts do all year. He earned: Bobcat and Bear ranks, Whittling Chip, 4 BL's, World Conservation Award, 2 Arrow Points, and won the Pinewood Derby (with a car that only had 3 wheels for the last 4 races).

Are you just one of those people who sits back and criticizes and complains about everything but never does anything?

It seems in all of your vast learning, knowledge, and experience you have missed one thing - A Scout is Courteous.

I really don't care about how many things your son earned in how short a time.

Scouting is not a competition to see how much "stuff" can be put on a shirt in the shortest amount of time. Scouting is not a race.

I care about the boys and about the program.

YOU ASKED - "I have 2 young kids, one in scouts, is this going to be too much for me to handle?"

As I stated - "Learn the BSA program and do a good job with your Webelos. The rest can come later."

I really am sorry that answer was not what you wanted to hear.

BTW - If you had read my profile before you decided to be rude, you might have discovered that in the past 16 years I have done quite a bit.

ScoutNut is just urging caution. Those of us who've been around awhile -that noise you hear is my bones creaking ;-) - are all too aware of leader burnout.

We appreciate your enthusiasm, really we do. Most of us were like you at one point, and sometimes we still get bursts of energy. But we'd hate to see you flame out after 12 months. We want to still see you still with us in 6 years!

I think Scout Nut gave you pretty good advice, actually. The thing about the web is that it can be easy to misinterpret someone's tone because all the unwritten clues to communication are missing. You may want to consider whether that happened here?

Anyway, back to the topic at hand - I was a Webelos den leader and a variety of other cub positions. WDL was my favorite by far. Make sure you give the boys plenty of room to learn and grow, not just in terms of the content of the badges/pins, but also in terms of letting them test out their independence, decision making, and leadership skills. There are no specific cub badges for these, but these are the life skills that will serve them for many years to come (and will help them transition into boy scouts).

I am now a merit badge counselor for a handful of MBs. Most of the time I enjoy that too, but the work/time tends to go in spurts. I have found that some are more common than others and I do not believe the ones you list are highly sought after. But it really can be a lot of work to counsel a boy well, especially on the more hands-on/technical badges. Unless a boy is coming to you begging for you to be his MBC because there are no other qualified people who are willing, I would say hold off for now. Learn the webelos program, learn as much as you can about boy scouts (which will make you a better webelos leader), and have fun with your guys while they're still at an age where they WANT to hang with you. There will be plenty of time to be a MBC down the road.