Uniform Inspections

I understand that beginning to implement Uniform Inspections during Webelos is a good idea to get them ready for Boy Scouts. We have never had a Uniform Inspection before, nor have any of the other dens to my knowledge. I am just now taking over our den, in the past they where just the shirt, sometimes a pack t-shirt, sometimes street clothes, some kids where the whole uniform but not many. How do I go about implementing this?

Should I be easy at first, then get harder or stick to the guidelines all the way through?

I was thinking of implementing a calendar with an A, B, C uniform code, A being pack t-shirt, B being uniform shirt tucked into blue jeans, and C being full uniform. Also once we become a patrol I would like to use this decide who is the patrol leader for the month (without repeating the same child). Has anyone tried anything like this?

For our pack a we don't require the official pants.

For uniform inspection we started off with giving ice cream bars to any den with all members wearing their shirts. Then the next month required the shirts, necker, and slide. Then the next month -- all patches in the correct places.

May be another idea is a blue ribbon for the Den flag.

We try to make it a carrot, not a stick.

I know that not all the kids have the pants and I don't think they required them in the past, however we have a district competition in February in which Uniforms is one thing they are graded on so I am going to have to make the pants required. I know this is problably not going to go over well and I will have some complaints but the competition is a team thing so they have to learn to sacrifice for the team.

How can you not require the official pants? The uniform is the uniform, there is no unit option unless of course you are a venturing unit but that doesnt seem to be the situation here. Now, I am sure there will be those who will state that the BSA does not require a uniform and they would be correct. The best approach would be to present the pack with a fully and correctly uniformed youth and state this is the full uniform, this is what we would like to see and leave it at that. You are either in uniform or you are not, its not a transgresion if you arent, but its not honest to say you are either

It's hard to inforce complete uniform when the pants don't fit everyone. No husky sizes in kids is a problem. Also our CM is too tall for switchbacks. (I hear that will go away with the new uniform)

Due to cost and the rate these kids grow, we're pushing the Walmart and Target navy cargo pants.

We pushed if you were not in your uniform shirt, neckerchef and nice pants you would not receive rank at graduation. Surprisingly not 1 showed up in a pack t-shirt.

A scout shirt tucked in to blue jeans is not a scout uniform.

Here is what the Cub Scout Leader Book says about such an "outfit" under the heading "How to Uniform Your Pack"

" Uniform parts should not be worn separately or with civilian clothing. The entire uniform should be worn or not at all. The pack does not have the authority to make changes in the uniform."

Chapter 12 of The Cub Scout Leader Book

You can find tips on how to do uniform inspections in chapter 12 of the Cub Scout Leader book.

Holding uniform inspections will not help to strengthen uniforming when the scout moves into a troop. Supporting complete and proper uniforming from the time boys join cubbing is what will make a difference.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I intend to bring the entire 'Uniform' issue up at our first leaders meeting of the scouting year. Our Pack lacks leadership and organization, they just kind of do whatever, whenever, and the boys follow suit. That is why I believe that I am fast going to become one of those 'like me or hate me' guys, because I am very organized, I stick to a schedule and expect parents and other volunteers to do the same.

I am going to sit down with the parents and the kids and let everyone know what is expected, especially uniform wise and that if there are any problems, questions, or concerns to come talk to me. I believe that change comes within and that when the older boys and volunteers set the example everyone else will eventually follow. Perhaps it will not work out that way, but at least the my boys will be ready for Boy Scouts, the CM is responsible for the rest.

At this stage of the game it can be a real battle to get scouts properly uniformed after they have been told for years that blue jeans are uniform pants.

-The first thing I would do is get adults fully uniformed.

-Then make a plan that makes full uniforming affordable for the cubs you currently have.

-Then as new cubs join let parents know from the beginning what a correct uniform is and what the units expectaions are.

Maybe fun is not the best word but certainly uniform inspections should be positive experiences.

Recognize improvement

Reward completeness

Make positive statements about what the scout did right rather than about what he did wrong

Make suggestion as as to how they can improve as a group rather than spotlight individuals.

But unless the adults are correctly uniformed you will never get the parents to buy in to the process.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I don't have any problems with the adults in my den wearing the full uniform. When I took over the den, I made sure that both Assistants knew that I planned on holding uniform inspections and that a full uniform for them would be expected as well. They both went out and got the pants. Don't get me wrong, I want the kids to have a fun and rewarding experience in scouts but I also want them to be prepared for Boy Scouts.

I make sure that I set the example by always wearing my uniform, no matter if its a den meeting, pack meeting, pinewood derby, etc. I want all the boys to know that the leaders support them and we won't ask them to do anything we are not prepared to do ourselves.

This is always a stickler of a issue with Cubs because they grow so fast. But then again so do the Boy Scouts...

If one is feeding into a troop with full uniforms, it might do well to expect full uniforms for Cubbing as well. Always remind the parents not to cut off the cuffs of the pants and plan on re-hemming them multiple times. Also tap into on-line auctions for cheaper pants than the scout office has for the boys who have financial struggles. I presently have about 20 pairs of Boy Scout pants and have them available for any Scout that wants them. Periodically multiple lots of pants are on sale on E-Bay and I've picked up pants for as little as $5 each. Thus there is no reason why my boys can't have a full uniform.

If one is feeding into a troop that doesn't use full uniforms then I guess anything will do. Unfortunately this is the rule in most councils in that I believe my Troop is the only one in my council that expects full uniforms for the boys. I also have the situation where my boys will wear their full uniforms more often than other troops which makes finding them in a crowd very easy. Over the past year my boys have taken a liking to wearing the full uniform and have often commented they feel better in them when they look the part of being a Scout. That kind of pride is often difficult to establish in a unit, but if the expectation is there, the boys seem to like stepping it up a knotch over the other units.

One more thing. When my boys came back from summer camp I had one parent ask if the boys had taken off their uniforms during the week. I guess they might have been a little "soiled". I told her that if the shirt looked fairly clean, he probably even wore it swimming.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)

The resistance we've gotten from parents is over the cost, but the new Cub S2 switchback type pants have been a big hit. They like the two for one aspect. The harder we've pushed, the more they're responded.

Our troop started out saying - "We expect the whole uniform". Again - expectations are met. Of 24 boys, 20 or 21 have uniforms pants. They others are earning them through fundraising. Again - the Switchbacks made a big difference. The perceived value is very high.

Our council has formed a neat partnership with a local dry cleaner called "Scouting for Uniforms". During July all of their locations are accepting donations of experienced uniforms, which they will clean and donate to the council uniform exchange.

http://www.pilgrimdrycleaners.com/scouting.htm

Cost is a major issue in some Packs and Troops.

My pack is at a Catholic school that wears blue pants as to school. We allow school pants for uniform pants as cost issue.

I now some uniform police will disagree, but I even have trouble with uniform shirts at times.

We raised some money and hit thrift shops and eBay for uniform shirts a few years back. We then set up a uniform swap box and now we have a resource for parents who need it.

I guess you could do the same thing for pants.

We had a Scout leader who saw a homeless guy wearing a scout shirt. It was in good shape minus the shoulder tabs. He gave the guy $10 for it and a couple of t-shirts he had in the car. It took about four good washes before his wife would let him wear it.

A scout is Thrifty.