Tigers - do they sell popcorn in your pack or do they get a pass?

Last year a number of our best sellers were Tigers (or at least, a number of our best sellers had sons that were Tigers). We don't push them, but we find them anxious to join in pack activities, including popcorn.

They want the pins and patches, too!

My former pack had kids out selling popcorn before the recuitment night at the local school. The timing is a bit tight and some new Tigers found themselves joining the pack after other kids had sold popcorn down "their" roads. They were encouraged to do the best they could. My question is whether or not this is the case elsewhere.

Our pack passed on popcorn, and sold Christmas wreaths instead. The area was overly dense in Scouts selling popcorn. Wreaths sold better, and the profit margin was also better.

Yes, Tigers and Tiger families sold too.

We have a system where the Scouts need to sell a certain $ amount of either popcorn or wreaths to meet their financial commitment to the pack.

We do not hold Tigers to that standard, *but* they can participate. We still point out to the Tiger parents the value of selling (funds in Scout accounts, value of pack activities, etc.)

we will be adding Lion Cubs (kindergartners) to the pack this year. They will be treated similarly.

Of course our Tigers participate. One of my favorite scouting stories I tell is that of my son. He was a Tiger and our family was new to Scouts. He was also very shy and afraid to step out for anything. As we walked up to the store for our first show and sell, I was figuring that he would just hide under the table. Instead, a Webelo scout introduced himself, put his arm around my son and siad, "Let me show you how to sell popcorn." They went off and began to sell. Within ten minutes, my son was off on his own. A few minutes later, a big burly long haired leather clad Harley type dude walked out of the store and my little 6 year old Tiger cub asked if he wanted to buy some Cub Scout popcorn.

It was a great learning experience and a start to a great scouting adventure for him. He's now working toward first class and is a clear leader in his patrol and troop.

Absolutley, our Tigers sell popcorn. In fact, many of them are top sellers. I attribute this to our pack signing them up during spring recruitment so they can fully participate in the pack's summer program. When the popcorn sale comes around in October, the new families have a good idea what sort of fun activities they can expect the pack to provide if they support the sale. Also, the little guys are too cute to say "No" too!

The only time new Scouts do not have the opportunity to participate in the popcorn sale is if they join after the sale is over. This includes Tiger Scouts.

Popcorn kickoff is 08/18 this year. I will mail out order forms and all info to families that week. They can start taking orders as soon as they get the form. Our Round-up is on 08/29. Popcorn is part of the info new Scouts get when they sign up.

Between order taking and show & sell there are plenty of opportunities, for all Scouts, to get out and sell popcorn.

Tigers are fully a part of the pack and are expected to sell popcorn! And the parents appreciate the percentage that goes into their Scout account to help offset any scouting related fees. I think we had a few tigers this last year that didn't have to pay dues OR camping fees because of their sales. Of course our popcorn sale is November since our council doesn't seem to do show-n-sell.