Webelos Super Achiever

of course it's possible for the whole pack to get it!

Our den of 6 boys meets roughly 3x a month. We became webelos 2's in march... and one of the boys just this month completed his 20th badge, 3 of them have 18, the other 2 aren't far behind. We have been working hard with them, and have given them minimal homework. Some of the boys don't complete the homeowrk, or have missed a meeting or two, or can't swim so are taking longer to get aquanaut...

The trick is to read the whole book FIRST. Have a good grasp of the requirements for the belt loops and pins, and you can easily complete 2 things at a time.

Here's a typical lesson plan for a 1 1/2 hour meeting for us-

Den meeting @ Library- Communicator/ Computers

(group 1)

Write a story Pin #1

Tell/ read your story to the den Comu # 2, BL #1, Showman #16

Visit a librarian Comu #6, pin #4

(group 2)

Discuss computers Comp BL #1, 2

Computer safety rules Comp pin 8

Type and print a TY letter Comu #11, Comp pin 6 Comu BL 2, Comp BL 3

Go on 5 websites Comu #12, Comp pin

(one must be www.scouting.org)

Use a Paint program Comp pin 5, Art pin 10

Report on activity for website Comu # 8, Comp pin 1

Computers BL Comu #14

Communicator BL Comu #15

To finish Communicator Pin:

-read a book and tell us about it

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that you should not use one activity to complete multiple requirements. Each badge should be earned independently.

Is it a race to get badges.....I sure hope not.

Nothing makes me madder than asking a young man about an award on his shirt, and he has no idea what he did to earn it.

I agree, I hate it when kids get badges they don't earn. I know of a leader that gives ALL the kids the badge/patch/pin when only 2 kids actually completed the requirement. It totally devalues the work the other ones have done to get thier awards. We have had boys look at our chart and ask why they are the only ones not getting a certain award. At that point we remind them that they need to complete x,y,z, and they missed that meeting/ didn't show us thier homework. They usually come thru by the next pack meeting, lol.

There are requirements that specifically state that you cannot 'use' a project for anything else- ie Engineer #10/ Scholar #7 "if you have not earned it for another activity gadge", and I'm pretty sure there were more. Otherwise, if you can combine things, do it! It's definatly more efficiant and resourceful to TYPE and PRINT a thank you note than to write a ty note, type another note, and print yet another one. Use clean-ups to work on Naturalist. discuss sportsmanship while earning a sports BL. And if you do stuff like that every time, the boys will learn a LOT more than if you talk about trees/ saftey/ sportsmanship once, while sitting down with the books open.

Read your book carefully, don't be afraid to work on some things simultaniously (ie naturalist AND forrester, geologist AND scientist) and keep track of everything, lol. We've had to re-do activities because I forgot to write down exactly what we did!

Basementdweller: This was in no way intended to be a race for my boys nor I try hard and I will give the patch anyway type of thing. These boys choose to work toward this goal, knowing it would be hard and I told them I do what I needed for them to suceed.

I fully agree with you and gscan that each badge should be earned individually. I don't think it directly states that except in some places but I want the boys to know what they are working on and earning and truly earn each one. I have thought through and planned on lesson plans that utilize working on multiple requirements at the same time and using Pack activities toward some requirements but I am not going for a 2 for 1 deal.

I think a lot of people misunderstand my goal and questions. I don't want to give these kids a badge, nor drag them along to earn it, I also don't want to manipulate the rules and guidelines for them. All I really want to do was work hard with them toward a big goal that they too want and I wanted to know if it could be done before I did something to let them down. I believe young boys need hard goals, they need to be obtainable and I know how proud they will be if they all stand and receive this badge in 2 years, one they earned through hard work.

One man's opinion here and it looks as if I am in the minority. I do have some experience in the Webelos arena.

The Webelos 2 year experience is part of a journey. It is not a finish line (just like Eagle Scout should not be a finish line) You have missed an important part of your responsibility as a Webelos leader if the boys do not choose to become and actually do become active, enthusiastic Boy Scouts.

I do not like the idea of having boys earn all 20 activity badges nor a recognition for that. I have observed that all too often, boys who try to earn all 20 activity badges either "burn out" as Webelos Scouts or else do crossover as Boy Scouts and then quickly drop out. There is too much concentration on getting badge after badge after badge and on those badges which are not in the prime interest area of each boy. Plus there is so much concentration on the activity badges that the relations with the Boy Scout Troop are not well handled.

I would much rather prefer that the boys earn the badges that they need for the Arrow of Light, maybe a few more, but that there be plenty of good relationship building with a Troop and encouragement and excitement building for what Boy Scouting offers.

excellent point, Neil. We actually earn about 1/2 our badges while working with the boy scouts. A local troup holds a "Webelos Pin College" every year, and the boys earn up to 4 pins apiece each weekend they go. We also work on badges at campouts and troup visits. We have several merit badge counselors that help us out with the tougher ones as well (Geologist, Scientist, ect).

Every pack meeting and outing ties in to something (we went to a coast guard base, we worked on Traveller, slept at a science musuem, and gave the staff a list of stuff we wanted to work on).

I think I was misunderstood, sorry if I wasn't clear- but we don't churn out 20-ers. We have a small den (6 Webelos2, 2 webelos 1), two leaders, and a few parents that help out. We are able to earn so many badges because we can take 2-3 boys aside and work with them when they need it. We offer (and the more dedicated boys earn) more than the requirements for each badge- 7 electives instead of 5, ect. In fact, this year at camp some of the boys will re-earn several badges- just because you can never go over readyman, fitness, citizen, ect enough.

All but one of our boys is gung-ho about scouting and looks forward both to meetings and becoming a boy scout. I personally feel we have done an above average job of making it fun and exciting. Boy #8 only joined because his parents insisted- he won't get all the badges, he won't get the summertime pack award, ect.

I guess my original point was that yes, it is totally possible to earn all 20 badges, as well as more than the required belt loops and pins. But you need dedicated leaders, helpful parents, and enthusiastic boys. Dragging them along and throwing badges at them every month isn't going to hold thier interest at all! Making earning badges fun AND educational will.

It is not my goal or desire to take anything away from the boys just so they can earn all 20 badges. My son will have earned 6 by the time scouts start back and there are other boys who will earn 4 or 5. It is not really as hard as I initally thought if the boys work hard toward it. I am not going to take away from them working with the Boy Scouts nor their other activities just to get something done. The whole thing is a team building exercise and something to show them they can achieve big when they work hard.

I have 3 other leaders helping me and a good supply of parents, that are all in the same page, we will work toward what the kids want. Nobody is forcing them, and everything is designed to have fun.

NeilLup: I can not understand why you think that boys should not attempt nor be recognized for a great achievemet (earning all 20 badges). I don't think working towards this will burn any of the boys out and if it seems that way then I will stop. I want these boys to be prepared to move on and know that they can push each other and work together and achieve great things, not just settle for getting enough to pass (school already teaches them that).

Hello Pack15,

My post was based on data and my observations. I have observed that when a Webelos Scout earns all 20 activity badges, or much more, when the Den makes it a thing for all the boys to earn all 20 activity badges, there is an unfortunately increased chance that the boy/boys will not continue as Boy Scouts or if they do will drop out soon thereafter.

I feel the same way about those boys who try to earn most or all of the merit badges. I believe that they are concentrating on one aspect of Scouting (merit badge advancement) and likely are not getting the well rounded, broadening Scouting experience which is unique.

These kids know how to be stamp collectors and earn parental and adult recognition type attaboys. That is what earning all activity badges or all merit badges represents to me. I believe that outside of Boy Scouting, they have much less opportunity to be independent, be real leaders and masters of their own fate, etc. Done right, Webelos Scouting is a great program in its own right and they prepares and motivates them to continue in Boy Scouting which is another great program.

Your experience and the experience of other leaders may differ. I am sharing my experience.

Super Acheiver is an award given to boys who complete all 20 Webelos Activity Badges. It is an award for any and all boys who earn it (it should make mention of it in the Webelos Handbook).

There is no BSA award for a Webelos Scout earning all 20 activity awards. Youll find no discussion about it in any BSA publication nor on the BSA web site. That does not mean the local council is forbidden from creating some kind of recognition. Some councils have a recognition of some sort; they go by different names and the patches, pins, or certificates are of local design. Its strictly a local thing.

I'm happy to accept that for whatever good reasons, BSA does not support this kind of award.

FScouter, I'm afraid this is a National award, now. Previously, these have been council level awards. However, I have seen, in the National Scout Shops in my area, the patch and certificate. The patch has the BSA logos on the back and the certificate has an item # (which I meant to write down today). While there is probably no reference in the current leader materials, the Supply Division is making these awards available.

Official BSA awards are always described in the BSA publications. It could well be that the "Achiever" award is newly recognized and will show up in the next printing of the Cub Scout Leader Book. If anyone runs across a BSA update about it, post it so we can all learn about it.

I don't think that this is an "official" award, as much as it is a recognition by the BSA that they can probably sell some patches and certificates and make a little cash (nothing wrong with that, either).

But I have also seen what Neil describes, not always to the point of dropping out, but in terms of a difficulty changing expectations from cubs to boy scouts. Those webelos pins are really not all that hard to earn (mostly), especially because in most Webelos dens, the adults are still organizing the program to a great extent. Boys hear all about how webelos prepares them for boy scouts, and they enjoy getting the regular recognition with those pins.

However...merit badges are really quite different. First, they tend to be earned individually rather than in groups (at least, they should be most of the time!). Second, they are much more detailed and therefore boys tend to be a lot slower to finish. And third, the boys themselves must take the initiative to choose badges, contact counselors, and do the work.

Boys who get used to making a big deal out of earning the webelos pins sometimes get discouraged when they realize that the merit badges are a different ball game and when they don't earn a fist full right away.

I'm not saying you shouldn't work with your boys in the webelos den or to discourage them from earning the pins. Just that I can see what Neil is saying, because I've watched it happen too.

pack15nissan:

bravo for explaining it perfectly "i will help push them....but not pull them along".

even my picture perfect scouts need a little pushing, nudging. pep talking and neogiating but i too definately will not pull.

heck, i think we can all agree there's nights when we adults come home from work and sit down on the couch too long and we could use the push out the door to go to a den meeting !

• 5 months later...