So Camp is less than a Week away

So what is appropriate etiquette for arranging rides to camp?

More to the point should the driver call everyone to pass the info, or should the passengers call?

Silly I know, but I have been wrong about so many other things I thought I would ask.

The unit does have an outdoor activities coordinator. A Scout is thrifty. It would make sense for one person to address transportation rather than a dozen parents individually trying to figure it out.

Is the Cub Resident Camp that you signed your son up for as a single and then the CM signed up another boy at a later time?

If so, I think it would depend on weather or not this boy is going with a parent or if you agreed to be his responsible adult for the trip.

If he is going with his parents, then I do not see the need for coordinating rides. If he is not going with a parent, and you agreed to be responsible for him, then that could include transporting him there and back. What did you agree to? You might contact the family to see what is going on.

There are times I want to take "A Scout is friendly" and tell someone else "put it..."

Then I get the point again: We're doing this for the sake of all these young kids.

Call other kids' Mom or Dad. Tell her/him/them when you're leaving and where you're leaving from. Considering gas is $$ a gallon, I'd also say what 1/2 the gas price is.

BTW, who is providing the 2d deep leadership for you? You're ok 1/1 with your own son, but...

I offered to car pool with anyone. We did have one boy sign up w/o Dad but since I'm one of the camping co-ordinators I was in the loop. I offered to drive to/from but Dad wants to take him. I'm going to ask one of the other families if they want to share a ride- I have a mini van so taking another Dad and boy is no problem (I'm the only Mom going).

Our council told us if only 1 leader was going they would pair them up w/ another unit.

I always make the effort to be polite and ask. If I'm not answered then I let them make their own arrangements. Tell them you need to know by xyz date if they need to carpool.

In spite of continued discussion on this topic, there still seems to be some confusion about "Two deep."

Two deep leadership refers to "Two registered adult leaders or one registered leader and a parent of a participant, one of whom must be 21 years of age or older, are required on all trips and outings." If a council has organized a camp so that small units with only a couple of boys going can be covered, then it is not an issue. Two deep does not apply to transportation (although it is the prefered method by most including myself). No one-on-one contact is the requirement that applies here. As long as at least three individuals are in the vehicle then you are technically following the BSA requirements.

P212,

I'm not worried about in the car. I'm worried about the unit at the camp.

My Council also runs a Cub Family Overnight Camp (Bear year level). If we are talking 1 kid/1 parent, the Director and Business manager tie them off to a larger unit whose leader has the complete suite of training (FS, NLE, YP, and Posn Spec for posn).

If we are talking 2 different kids, then our Council has two different parents, one of whom must be trained.

I misunderstood your post John-in-KC.

And you actually pretty much echoed mine "If a council has organized a camp so that small units with only a couple of boys going can be covered, then it is not an issue." So it would seem that we are in concensus :)