Going back to Cubs

I'm just not enjoying Scouting anymore.

I've got 25 years in Scouting. Our son has been in Boy Scouts for a year and I'm Advancement Chair for the Troop.

This is a large, active troop. About 35 active boys. Good supply of adult volunteers (betcha haven't heard that in awhile!).

I'm seriously considering stepping down as the chair (I wouldn't step down unless there is a suitable replacement), taking a less active roll in the troop and going back to a Pack. I think I need to recharge my batteries with a bunch of Tiger Cubs.

Got any ideas?

I've been away from Cub Scouts for a while now and many times I think I'd like to go back. I really enjoyed those little guys. Another thread is running right now about how hard it is to keep a Tiger Den together for lack of leadership. I think it would be wonderful if you offered your help to a Pack in town as a Tiger Den Leader. Go forth and re-energize!

I'm relatively new (my son joined a couple of months ago, but I was a scout when I was a kid) and I've already started volunteering at the district level.

In an email conversation with my old scoutmaster, he remarked that he hadn't ever experienced such a level of dedicated group of adults, or run into any finer people, than when he started volunteering. In my short time volunteering, I've had pretty much the same experience. What a great group of people, and I am happy (so far!) to be working with them.

How about talking to your local district commissioner (or chairman, or executive)? Maybe they have some suggestions where they really need some help. Perhaps they could really use a unit commissioner to work with local cub scout packs.

• 2 weeks later...

did you also consider offering your services to the council? Perhaps they know of a pack that needs help or direction. Maybe even an area that could use a pack. There are also other district positions or helping run day and resident camps.

Tiger Cubs and their parents always benefit from an experienced leader. Your local pack will love you. Just make sure you are aware of the changes over the last few years. Last week, I caught a Webelos mother and a Boy Scout mother teaching their new Tiger Cubs the Tiger Cub Motto, which went out in 2006.

Standerson,

Ask your district executive for a list of packs that dont have adequate leadership. Most of these packs would be ecstatic to have an experienced leader come in to lead the Tiger den. We lost all of the Tiger Cubs in our pack last year when the new parents found out that one of them would have to step forward and be den leader. An experienced leader would help recruiting and retention, and help groom parents to take over as den leaders in the future. Having a successful Tiger den could revitalize a struggling pack.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, my son and I crossed over to Boy Scouts this past spring. I have decided to take a time out and watch the troop run for several months before I would "sign-up" for some type of leadership role. I also wanted to give my son a chance to particpate in some of the activities without having his old man with him, as I was his den leader for 4+ years in Cub Scouts.

Well, here is how I am feeling about Boy Scouts. After observing the troop for several months, I have come to realize that I am struggling to find a place in my son's troop. I consider myself a very effective organizer, and I have found that due to the nature of the older boys planning and organizing their own activities, my primary talents are not needed. I also have a different personality then some of the other leaders of the troop, and I dont think there is a place for an old organizer who may be too soft on the kids, who cannot help but want to roll-up my sleeves and assist them when needed. Finally, I am somewhat uncomfortable with some of the activities that the older boys do, as I was not a Boy Scout and frankly I dont want to sleep in an igloo, for instance!

I think I am at my best when working with the younger kids, where adult leadership and organization is needed, I believe that I was part of the reason for the large number of my old den members crossing over to the troop, which essentally doubled the size of the troop. That said, is it unusual for someone to be a den leader even if his son is no longer in Cub Scouts? I am feeling a little awkward with contacting my old Pack, but can use the encouragement if any of you have found yourself in the same position!

If, when you left the Pack, you were on good terms with everyone, I would say go for it! Contact your CC and find out what kind of help they could use. A permanent Tiger Den Leader who is familiar with Scouting and the Pack is a BIG plus!

I am going back to Cubs with glee. We finally have enough adults for the troop, so I am able to go back to Cubs. I will be the Webelos den leader (again), giving me the opportunity to help introduce boys and parents to Boy Scouting and the new experiences they will soon be able to enjoy. My son is 17 and was thrilled a few years ago, when I got to move back to Webelos and help bring up a new group of Scouts. Your son would probably be glad to know you were involved without being right underfoot. Having the room to grow without a parent right there is a big deal to them.

Just last week at our Cub program planning meeting, we discussed that we really needed someone with experience to come in a be "coach" for all the new Tiger dens and den leaders.