Do pack meetings have to be awards ceremonies

I was looking over some of the plans that we have for next year.

I have a question about pack meetings. DO they HAVE to be the big awards ceremonies that they describe in all the books. I was thinking about doing things like Pack bowling night, day trip to the nature center, Visit to the Fire Fighters musuem, and things like that.

The question that I have is, would this qualify as a pack meeting.

I know that the Tiger Cubs have the Go- See its, but I waws thinking about doing more free type outings with the boys.(This message has been edited by SctDad)

What you're describing is a pack outing, not a pack meeting. Pack outings are great and are an important part of the pack program, but they shouldn't be a substitute for the pack meeting.

The purpose of the pack meeting is to recognize the boys for their achievements as well as to bring the whole pack together to show off what the boys have been doing during the month.

The award ceremony is 15-20 minutes out of a 90 minute meeting. The rest of the time is full of games, skits, songs and den demonstrations. It is how the boys show their parents and each other what they've done at their den meetings, and a chance for all the dens to work as a group.

Our pack meetings keep the boys active and learning and sharing for more than an hour. The recognition is an important part of the meeting, but we do lots of other things too.

We have typical 'meetings' about half the time- we try to do outings every other month with the pack. You can acomplish quite a lot of the "meeting stuff" ie giving out awards, making anouncements, ect. at most outings!

Conversely, pack meetings aren't all about sitting still and being quiet. You can have 'guests', like firemen who bring thier trucks, we've had a leather maker that helped the boys make some leather crafts... you get the idea.

We have had some great fun at pack meetings (the 'trust games' work great around about the beginning of every year)... but a change of pace in the form of an outing is always welcome!

In general, do one thing once per month with the whole pack. And make it FUN!

Why would you NOT want to recognize all of the hard work each boy did all month long? Why would you make him wait 1 or 2 months for that recognition, and to receive awards he has earned?

Pack outings are fun and should be a part of the program. We go on outings every other month or so. However, they should not replace Pack meetings.

I'm not always a big fan of guest speakers if all the guest does is speak. If they bring in an activity that the boys can participate in, that's great, but if they have to sit through a 1/2 hour presentation - yuck.

Some of our best meetings have been things like our Emergency Preparedness fair, where we had stations that fulfilled the requirements for the Emergency Preparedness Award. We also did Leave No Trace night, and a conservation oriented meeting.

Our Cubmobile races are a big hit. We've had the boys make snowmobiles and Santa sleighs (and cars). These are great because the involve the whole family. Every other year or so we have turtle races (see the How To Book).

All of these meetings have award ceremonies, but the important thing about them is that they *involve* the boys. That's what you're seeking to do with your outings idea - but you don't *have* to leave the meeting place to gain that involvement. You just have to break the mold of having the boys sit in their chairs all evening - that's what kills the boys' enthusiasm, not the award ceremony.

OK maybe what I am getting at is could I do this.

Have a pack meeting at the bowling alley and have an awards ceremony there at the end. Something like they can earn their bowling beltloop while and be awarded it at then end. Something like that.

Does that help everyone out.

We used to plan a yearly agenda of one Pack meeting and one Pack outing each month. Example of our typical yearly pack outing agenda was:

Sept- Pack Campfire

October - Roller Skate rink

November - Food Drive

December - Caroling

January - Science Museum Lockin

February - Blue and Gold

March - Pinewood Derby

April - Pack Camp out

May - Ice cream Feast

June - Cubmoble races (No Pack meeting)

July - Picnic (No Pack meeting)

August Swimming (No Pack meeting)

We planned an outing every mont h to help the ease the Den Leader Program.

When I was at my best, the Pack meeting generally went 55 minutes of nonstop laughing, singing, yelling, and showing off. That was for a pack of 100 scouts.

Got to go start the grill.

Barry