Day Camp questions...

Scouting Mom,

My certification is old (91 vintage) but the certification was good for Five (5) years for CSDC Program Director. Has National changed the rules? I will hopefully be attending class in October/November unless contract here is not renewed.

Renewing that often, IMHO, can only be another financial push as the rules can be updated in a manual and neither the district or council needs the expense.

I would be intrested to know what the new rules are for logevity (refresher training).

our camp costs $125 for 5 days, 9-5. it is at a local scout camp, and offers more than enough to make it a great value (bbs, archery, swimming tests, lots of requirements are covered).

We have a tot lot for tots (ie non- scouting age), and older girl-sibs do tag along with some of the tiger/wolf dens. In fact, our first year we had the only girl. her mother was the camp nurse, and had the camp not allowed the kid to come along we would not have had a nurse.

I suggets that if your hubby is 'livid' about all those girls tarnishing the camp experience, then maybe next year he can offer to take the week off of work to run the 'girl camp' so thier parents can volunteer thier time to work the scout camp. Why is it such a problem that sibs are allowed to participate in closing ceremonies?

Yes, I do agree that is sounds dissorganized, and like there isn't much planning going on. Why don't you offer to help? approach an overwhelmed den leader and ask what you can do- having a baby doesn't mean there isn't something you can do (like prepare crafts, or help with a skit).

We just finished up our Day Camp last week, my son and I both had a blast. Our fee was $60 for 5 days (8-5) and there was a $15 discount if a parent was willing to volunteer for 3 days or more. Both his and my shirt where included, all supplies and crafts (birdhouse, boat, bug house), 2 good snacks, awards and patches all for $45. I can't find a day camp anywhere else that I could send my son for less than $125 for the week.

We had a tot lot, but only for the kids of volunteers and they participated in opening and closing but only male siblings or friends could come with the scout unless they where tot lot aged and they had to be registered with BSA.

The only thing the camp didn't pay for was belt loops or activity badges earned during the week, they expect the parents or pack to pick up that which is sensible.

Thought I might as well throw in my two cents worth as well. I've staffed seven camps, three of those as director. Comparing notes, our council charges $47 for five days of camp. For budget, we are given $9.50 per scout, and not only do we use every nickle, we have to account for it at the end. Only registered Cubs may participate in the daily activities, and we do have a tot lot for the non-scout children of staff and walk-around parents. Aside from the DE who is assigned to our camp as general advisor and gopher, the staff is 100% volunteer. In fact, at minimum, it costs the staff vacation time to volunteer, and many supplement their area budgets from their own pockets. Rental of the park is the biggest expense. We have a lot of fun at our camp, and the boys keep coming back for more. Word of mouth is great, and we've nearly doubled the number of attendees in the past four years.

OzarksOsage

"My certification is old (91 vintage) but the certification was good for Five (5) years for CSDC Program Director. Has National changed the rules?"

I've been involved with our day camp for the last two years as a lowly staffer, not worthy of NCS training, but this year's Camp director said he card expired after two years and when he recruited his Program director for this year and his own replacement for next year he said he was looking for someone who could make a two-year commitment. Also, his predecessor only ran day camp for two years, so I'd have to guess that any change in those rules happened at least 4 years ago.

Perhaps word hasn't filtered out to all the camp schools. I attended Camp School for Day Camp Administration in February 2007, and my certification card says it's good through December 31, 2011.

Searched on-line at BSA NCS. Certification is still good for 5 seasons (for 2007 would include 07, 08, 09, 10, & 11).

Would not be worth the expense for just two years. Your Council may just be asking people for a two year obligation for the expense as that would make sense. The Program/Camp Director could serve longer.

I agree that two years is a waste of resources...it takes that long for a director to work out the kinks. Where did you find that info? I know since it is NATIONAL Camp school, it shouldn't vary from region to region, but maybe as someone said, the word on the policy wasn't properly spread.

It is in a few places but the one I used was: http://www.nationalcampingschool.net/

where it states in a big box:

National Camping School Overview

The Boy Scouts of America has developed National Camping Schools to support local councils by training key adult personnel in the best or most well-accepted methods of Scout camping. National Camping Schools follow a national curriculum with emphasis on communicating the mission of the Boy Scouts of America and the purpose of Scout Camping. National Camping School certification is granted for a five-season period to those who satisfactorily complete the training. National Camping School offers training for adults registered with the Boy Scouts of America and employed by a local council.

Hmmmm....Adirondack Campus doesn't do Day camp certification, only resident camp and things like shooting sports and aquatics.

I was talking to another person who had been to NCS, but for COPE and Climbing courses. He said his certifications were good for 3 years.

So, the statement that NCS certification is good for 5 years doesn't apply to those courses either. So maybe that's only for resident camp management. I don't know, but the implication that ALL NCS certifications are good for 5 years seems to be incorrect.

Huh?!?!?!?!

I am not sure where "All NCS certifications" came from. The thread, and my responses to them, are specifically for CS Day Camp. Camp Director and Program Director are good for five "Seasons" (not years). AS for Cope, Shooting, Conservationist, camp Ranger, Chaplain, Camp Management, ... I have not the foggiest.

A seperate thread with those questions may gather you some answers from an approved NCS instructor.

Sorry I did not know you wanted a complete NCS quals/certs listing. I do not know where to find it as I have only been to NCS CSDC Program Director school.

Rick

I guess I was unclear in my last post, let me try again...

The quote you gave from the NCS site refers to "National Camp School certification." Not NCS Day Camp Certification, or NCS Resident Camp certification or anything more specific. The site you provided the quote from doesn't even do Day Camp certification.

NCS provides certification includes 24 different programs. From talking to people who have attended a total of 4-5 of those programs, they have varying lengths of certification. The "Program Director" session description is for Boy Scout Resident Camp, and there is another session entitled "Resident Cub Scout/Webelos Scout Program Director" and perhaps they DO have a 5 year/season certification. The Certification required for Cub Scout Day Camp, which is where this thread started, is entitled, "Cub Scout/Webelos Day Camp Administration" and those I know have gone through it say it's a 2 year certification.

So it seems to me we are talking about two totally separate programs/trainings, that just happen to be taught at NCS.

• 2 weeks later...

SSScout wrote something that is important to keep in perspective.

"I decided along time ago that the grass will grow whether I cut it every week or not, the rug will eventually get vacuumed, and the car gets dirty and then gets rained on again. But the boys will only be Scouts for a short time. Let's see if I can give them something to take with them thru the next year."