Desperate for new leaders

Hello all,

Im a ACM/ADL/whatever, wherever leader in a moderate sized cub pack. Last year we had a large Tiger den that could never agree on meeting times or days, so they never met. The Wolf den that my wife and I run kicks butt and takes names, the bear den met and worked regurlarly, a good solid Webelos one den that was just as solid, and a Webelos II den that fell apart and graduated only one this year. Now, we have a strong Webelos II den, strong bear den......but wo knows if we will have a wolf or tiger den. To top it off, the leaders for the new Webelos I den are moving and will be leaderless. We have tried everything we can to get parents to chair events, with much reluctance. I am very worried that we will only have a Webeolos II and a Bear den his year. The attitude with most parents is that we leaders need to deal with it all, so they, the parents, cna sit and socialize. WEEEEEEElllllllll.....Im a parent too! it drives me insane with the attitudes of alot of parents today. It isnt any wonder why our country is having the trouble it is. Sorry, had to vent. My wife suggested that we find another pack. I dont want to abandon the boys in my den, they all work hard and love to participate. Just at a loss. Any ideas?? Anything at all would be much appreciated. Maybe someone has thought of something that I have not. Thanks for your time.

Marktrail

Ya gotta do whacha gotta do or in the common vernacular, a man must do what he must.

Take the entire den with you if you leave.

The sad thing is that most of the time when an organization folds because no one will step up, those who wouldn't help will say, "someone should have done something." They never realize that the someone was them.

It is the responsibility of the Charter Organization, thru the Charter Org Rep, and the Committee Chair to recruit leaders. What is their take on the situation and what have they done?

BSA has a publication that deals specifically with how to recruit Cub leaders. It involves putting together a list of the people who the CC and COR feel are the best for the job and then asking them PERSONALLY. Making sure new leaders are mentored and have someone they can go to for help and advice works very well also.

If the new Wolf den is so large, perhaps your CC & CM should consider splitting it. Usually the den leader has the final say on the day and time of the meeting, and picks something that works best for them FIRST, then the families. This is mainly because without the den leader, there is not den meeting. Splitting the den based on the 2 most popular meeting times might work for everyone.

Remind the parents that you are parents TOO. That Cub Scouts is not a babysitting program and that parent involvement is expected. If they have a problem with this then unfornatuly the program isn't for them!

Also, encourage your Committee Chairman (and if he's inactive) your Cubmaster to work hard at recruiting specific people. It's amazing and that response you get from people when you have a specific role in mind for them. It's also amazing and the number of people that won't say anything when you simply say "we need help!"

IF you have to leave the Pack let the parents in your den know why and where you are going. About seven years ago I served as Den Chief for a pack. In this pack an entire den left because the Den Leader didn't get along with Pack Leadership and it was causing problems. The Parents backed the Den Leader and they all went to the same pack, and I believe, formed a den together.

Marktrail

Since your Den is doing great I will guess that you are asking this question as the Assistant Cub Master. So the first thing I need to know is why are you doing two job, and if you had to pick one which are you going to do, the den role or the assistant Cubmaster role?

Because if you are going to do the ADL job then the problem you are sharing isn't your problem, and I would recommend that you let those who are responsible make worry about it.

If you are going to do the ACM job instead then I would offer that you need to wait for the Cubmaster and Committee Chair to decide what they are going to do, and then see what parts of their plan you can help with.

as teh ACM developing the so;ution to this problem is not your job and you need to take the load off your own shoulder and give to those whio are actually responsible for finding the solution.

This is a great example why the BSA says "one person-one position" As a den leader you should have your full attention on the Den you serve.

If you feel your Pack will not deliver the scouting program, then it would not hurt to look at other Packs. Attend other Pack meetings and outings with your son/den. You and the Mrs. should attend a Committee Meeting or two see if the Tiger, Wolf, and Bear parents are actively and cooperatively involved in delivering a scouting program. Look at their pack by-laws, budget. fundraising, and program calendar. Talk to members. Relay your findings to your den parents.

If things do not improve with your current Pack and you find a better Pack, transfer over and take as many of your den that want to go with you.

Worked for me, your mileage may vary. I moved my scouts to a better Pack and spent my time and energy on my scouts and not on trying to change City Hall. Happy ending.

Looking at the not so big picture - you've got a Web 1 den that's going to have no leader.

A) Make a list of any den parents that you think have the potential to be good leaders, then go down the list and ask them each privately if they'd be willing to be a den leader. Start at the best & keep going until you get at least two.

B) If there aren't 2 den parents suitable and willing, then give all the den parents a list of other packs in the area. The important thing is to keep the boys in scouting - if your pack can't provide a den, then maybe another pack can.

The one thing to avoid is signing up 2 desparation choices as leaders, then having them flake out partway through the year. Trying to replace them in November - after the den has most likely gotten off to a rocky start - won't be easy.

NC

Sorry that your so frustrated, but it can be quite common. Remember that in any organization, it is common that only about 10% volunteer. This is an issue for Scouting, especially Cub Scouting, which needs more like a 25-30% volunteer rate. It can be tough. As said before, the CC and COR need to help out here. Also the CM needs to help, as they are porobably more familiar with the abilities & personalities of the parents.

As a side note, I have had more success going to someone and saying "We really need someone to help out and I think that you would be great. Would you pray on it?" (You can leave the last part out if you are uncomfortable). You will probably more than double the positive responses if a) you point out their gifts, b) you ask them directly to do it instead of asking them in a more vague manor.

Finally, our pack has an unofficial policy. If the parent volunteers, they get priority on picking a meeting time (as available) and day (not an option in our Pack) and they also have priority of staying if we run out of leaders. Someone who volunteers or has volunteered gets priority over someone who sits. Sad for the boy...we've only had to exercise this a couple of times...but you must take care of the people willing to take time out of their lives to help these boys.

Doesn't the number of adults you need really depend on the program level you are working in rather than percentage to youth?

A Tiger Den (100%)

Packs not nearly that high (30%)

Troops less (you can operate almost any size troop with 7 to 12 adults the percenatge will depend on the number of youth you have)

Crews hardly any (5 to 8 registered adults are plenty for almost any size crew) but again the percentage will depend on the size of the youth membership.

Point being the number of adults need is really related to the program level more so than percentage to youth.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

True Bob White, however since this was a Pack question, I was aiming it at the Cub Scout program. Boy Scouts and Venturing doesn't compare well, and Tigers have to have parents to be there at all.(This message has been edited by pack212scouter)(This message has been edited by pack212scouter)

I just want to add my 2 cents...

Don't ASk for help from the parents, TELL them "great, Im glad you are here, we need a parent to run this station." Sometimes they don't step up because they don't know that you need them to!

You could also maybe pay for the parent helpers to come on the trips, that the other parents have to pay for?

I wouldn't personally switch packs just because some of the other dens are less than stellar. Your den is running strong, and IMO you can't do everything! If there is no Tiger den this year, the pack won't fold. BUT you could try to actively recruit adults at roundups, too! Or ask the other leaders/parents to put a concerted effort into recruiting friends with boys that they think would be willing to volunteer. JMHO...

Thanks for all of the replies. To address a few questions, like why am I doing two jobs? I am more the ADL/DL I dont really have alot to do as far as ACM, more of an extra pair of hands at the pack meeting. The CC, in my humble opinion, is the one guy who REALLY holds it all together. He and I see things very much eye to eye. I did get an encouraging email this evening from him. He did talk to a couple, whose son is a W1. They are considering taking over the Webelos den leadership. If all goes well with this, the den may get and additional 2 scouts just becuase of the meeting time change from after school to evenings. Sorry this is so brief, I want to re read the replies....lots of good ideas. Thanks. More to come.

Marktrail

Ok- Tiger cub familiies couldn't all agree on a meeting time???

You find the one adult willing to step up and set the day and time (they try to get the majority if possible). You can't please all the people.

As the Tigers teams each conduct a meeting (it's supposed to be a shared leadership year) if the family for the next month has a prblem then they can do what's convenient for them.

When I stepped up i said- My meetings will be ... anyone have a problem w/ that? Some missed at certain times but most where there. The Mom who complained wanted to be a "drop" off parent and I told her it was not an option that year. She also complained about the location for mtgs- i told her I asked everyone for suggestions and as no one would help I found what I could arrange.When she did come she just sat and helped w/ ABOSOLUTLY NOTHING, not even helping her son . He was a very nice and well bahaved kid but would give up on everything.

BTY - i just found out my pack may get a whole additional den of my son's rank moving over from another pack because of lackluster committee and CM. etc on that packs part (I already have 2 in my den from that school , 1transfer from same pack, 1 heard of problems so joined us instead) ...

Offer options-- the parents each leading a meeting method worked in our Bear den this year as the DL/ASM was deployed (add your prayers for his safe return in Decemeber as I have found out he could be in harms way).

Also some dens keep the meeting nights the same day of the week as the pack meetings. Everyone then knows what day Scouts is.