We are beginning the process of starting a Pack with the intent of having the first full Den meetings in late August.

I want to make sure we are prepared ( best we can be) for having a great first year, providing for the needs of teh leaders and boys so that we don't have burn out. We have leadership training planned for July and sign ups scheduled for early August.

In terms of needs, for each den we plan on purchasing the following:

Tigers, Bears, Wolves Den:

Cub Scout Leader Book

Cub Scout Leader How To Book

Cub Scout Academic and Sports Program Guide

Webelos Leaders:

Webelos Leader Book

Cub Scout Leader How To Book

For the CM:

Cub Scout and Webelos Leader Books

Den & Pack Ceremonies

We are also looking at the possibility of using the "Den in a Box" curriculum for the first year until we get some experience under our belt.

It dawned on me this am that we will probably also need some craft supplies ( i.e. scissors, crayons, glue, paper).

So my question is, what other expenses am I forgetting? What else do we need to start a successful Pack in the fall?

TIA,

Dawn

Dawn,

The biggest expense is not one of money, it's of time and love.

Every leader in this Pack a-borning should take:

- Youth Protection (can be done online)

- Fast Start for their position (again, can be done online).

You might ask, through your Unit Commissioner, (I assume your key leaders are amenable to gathering for an evening) to have the District Training Committee folks offer New Leader Essentials out of cycle. Definitely, consult the Council calendar to determine when BALOO will be, as also the Position Specific trainings.

Finally, DLs, CM, and CC should all mark District Roundtable on their calendars. Much great information to share, many good ideas available!

Finally, it's not too early to talk with a neighboring Pack to borrow their Pinewood Derby track for January...(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Funny should say that about time... I just had a prospective Webelos volunteer email and ask me how much time was involved. Having never been active in a Cub Pack, I had no idea how much time it takes weekly to tell him.

I know the old adage, " hour per week" which really means once you become a scout volunteer you have one hour of free time left! But how much time do you think is a fair estimate?

It depends a lot on the details. A den with active parents, a den leader with experience working with youth, a den leader who knows his or her community resources and has connections, will all make it a little easier.

But realistically, to run a good den program? I think it take at least 3 hours a week (1 for the meeting, 1 to prepare, 1 for record keeping and communication with other adults including pack committee meetings) and sometimes more.

Each den leader should also have a copy of their den's Handbook and the Cub Scout Program Helps for 2008-2009.

The Den in a Box things are rather expensive. Especially if you only have a few boys. You might be able to purchase just the themed helps booklet instead of the entire Box. BSA's online store - http://www.scoutstuff.org/ - has some from this last year.

Do you have any experienced leaders on board at all? Having someone with experience acting as a mentor will be a big help. Your Unit Commissioner will help here too.

Once you have leaders, sit down and plan your year. Don't forget to include fundraising. If your council does popcorn they will probably have a kickoff sometime in August. Most councils also have a program kickoff in August which you should get at least your Cubmaster (CM) and Committee Chair (CC) to attend.

Your Pack will also need a US flag, a Pack flag and some flag stands.

Your Charter Organization (CO) might be able to help you with some start-up expenses. They might also have someplace that you can use for storage. Have a close relationship with your CO from the get go. It makes a BIG difference!

I would say that you need to your parents one thing. HANG IN THERE. If you are able to get them to hang in for the first year, then things will get better. Have meetings. Find out what your new parents talents and hobbies are. Thhis can help you. See if there are parents that, if not willing to take a leadership role, can take on a special project, like Pinewood Derby, or Blue and Gold. If you have the parents support it will be great. And let them know that if they are willing to help, it will make everything work so much better. I have a few parents who help but I will be looking for more.

I went through and saved a pack this year and I still have lots more to learn, bbut some things just take time.

Lisa, thanks for reminding me!

Scoutingmama, you also want to contact area Troops. You want a total of 4 Den Chiefs. Explain to the Scoutmasters you're a start-up, and you want mature, reliable young men... not 1st year Tenderfeet.

Your DLs need to get with these young men, and together, they need to take Den Chief's training. That way, each can understand the others needs and expectations.

I'd say 3 hours a week for a direct contact leader is about right. If a DL has a Den Chief, that time might increase by 20 minutes a week (huddle time for them), but the rewards reaped in better meeting organization and presentation will be remarkable.

Your Membership and Advancement person will be busy the first several months, building a membership database using one of the standard packages like PackMaster. (3 year initial license $60). You also want to get this person trained in BSA Internet Advancement, so he/she can input basic ranks and arrow points to ScoutNet. Then, it's a printout, a signature, and off to the Scout Shop.

BTW, you want your Pack checking account to have no fewer than 3 signatures: CM, CC, and Treasurer, with 2 sigs required. That way, money is fairly easy to access.

A good tracking program will work wonders for you. If you are unable to afford the $60 program then there is a free program that uses excell. It is has just about all of the different levels of Cub Scouts. I have the programs and it does make it easy. I have used it and I like how it works.

Let me know if you would like the link, I will have to find it again.

Scoutingmama,

I don't think it's necessary to supply all the colored paper or crayons, etc to dens. Esp. with budgeting early on. Ask families to donate supplies those supplies. .Also many offices have extra used computer paper that they will just thorw out, ge them to give you some. Look at craft stores for close-outs and other discounted items. Maybe they will donate some items ?? The leaders should get one of those plastic starage totes that can be carried around for liturature and as a den box once items are collected. Also good to have- all sorts of nature books. Look at book stores for ones on clearance. I found an awesome N. American tree guide, small poacket guides for rocks , birds, minerals and knots. There are all sorts of prgram. Any time you are at the zoo or a nature centers grab acouple of each pamphlet if it's ok. Thers' lots of ideas on the internet to do prgram w/o purchasing the boxed helps. Use your Scouting magazine and Ballo''s Bugle as guides for activities if you are doign the themes. Also look at the archives of Baloo, awesome stuff there.

Did you mention you're doing popcorn this fall?? You need it to help fund the prgram- maybe some car washes with local troops helping too.

Thanks for the advice so far. Here are some answers to your questions.

John in Kc- I have asked our DE to provide training out of cycle and have been promised this can occur. I am hopeful it will happen as the district has no training scheduled until the middle of October. Thanks for the Pinewood Derby tip! I would have never thought of that!

LisaBob- With the exception of one parent, none of the volunteers interested have any experience with Scouting what-so-ever!

ScoutNut- We possbly have an ADL from another Pack willing to transfer- otherwise no other previous scouting experience. We will definitely be selling popcorn. Our council does popcorn in October for delivery in November.

SctDad- Thanks for the reminder about specific jobs- those are important postitions I would have forgotten and the link is going to be helpful to!

Karen- Thanks for the advice- I will keep this in mind as I am out and about this summer.

I hope to have the basic committee formed before the end of the week so we can get the ball rolling!

(This message has been edited by Scoutingmama)

I think the most important thing is to have a dedicated core group of parents who are willing to stick it out. If your core group takes off as soon as it gets difficult, you are in trouble. You need people who are willing to take on the positions of committee members and den leaders, and actually carry out the duties of those position. You nead a functioning committee who can tell if the duties are being carried out, and recruit new leaders to fill the gap. Don't bother starting the pack if it is expected that one person will do everything. It helps tremendously if your core group is well-connected in the community, and can work to recruit more families into the pack.

This morning, I wake up as a CM. Now I get to starting thinking more about some of your issues. We do already have good team of DLs, so I don't have to worry about that aspect. I do need to think more about how to expand the list of dedicated parents to help out. You can never have too many parents willing to help out. When I became the ACM, I started to think that a good pack meeting didn't need as many parents to help as what I think now. We try to have a lot of fun activities to go along with the achievement award ceremonites. But then I realize that I was getting to wrapped in the details that I wasn't able to take in all of the activities. Try to recruit some parents to help with each Pack Meetings and other activities (spread the wealth) so that you can be a floater. This helps you to see what is going on and also allows you to be able to chat with the parents while their boys are busy.

There has already been a good list of training that will help all of the leaders. Two websites that will be beneficial to all the new leaders are:

scouter.com

usscouts.org

There are many more sites with great information, but these two are a great start. I have learned a great deal from reading this forum (and I am most thankful to those who have posted here) and I have picked up a lot of ideas from the various links from usscouts.org.

Best of luck with the new Pack.

The big thing about converting parents into volunteer Scouters is to do it one small task at a time, until you think they're ready.

Ask them to help drive the Den to an activity.

Ask them to reserve the campsite or park shelter for an event.

Ask them to help set up an awning.

Thank them when they're done with it, and keep asking them, and thanking them.

Eventually you ask "We need someone who can do ___________________ for the Pack. Would you like to join Scouting as an adult leader and help us do ______________________. We'll provide the training.

When asked several times about smaller things, they often say yes to the big thing :)

HAve fun :)