unearned awards being given out

Anyone had to deal with awards being given that have not been earned. I have 4 scouts one being my son getting Leave No Trace, but I Know he has not completed requirments, Two others only show up at meetings not saturday outings.

Awards should never be handed out unless they are earned. So what if only 2 kids earned it. Then only 2 kids should receive it. How is it an award for achieving something extra if you did not do everything for it.

Leave No Trace award is based upon a the national guidelines set by the Leave No Trace organization for protecting and respecting the outdoors.

Pack committee meetings are not closed meetings. Any parent can attend to bring up any concerns, suggestions, or advice. Part of a meeting may be close for an executive committee meeting dealing with something sensitve - but I have never seen one of these take place. I was a den leader for 5 years and only missed 2 meetings due to work. Find out the next meeting and attend to express your concerns.

We had the opposite issue in one of our dens. One kid was very active and did a lot on his own. He had to wait months to receive his awards since the others in his den had not earned anything yet. This kid's den leader only goes to half of the leader meetings, none of the events the pack attends, and holds a den meeting once a month. His parents are looking for another pack for next year.

The Problem is we have 14 boys no leaders meetings. Iam bear/asst.cm and every time i bring something up it seams like it goes in one ear and out the other from the cubmaster and other leaders. My wife is resigning from cc due to all the back stabbing from treasure and tiger leader. I am currently looking for a new pack. Half of the activities that were scheduled have been canceled due to leaders kids baseball games. I feel the kids are really being cheated in more ways than one

The unearned awards issue is pretty widespread, at least in the cub years. I think it's the fault of pee-wee sports. Honestly. Many parents are accustomed to the idea of signing junior up in whatever sports league, paying the fee, showing up a few times and then collecting a trophy at the end of the season. They feel their family is entitled to something for the fees they paid. I also know that some parents "fudge" on the completion of requirements. One of my former den parents (the family has since left the pack) used to literally make up, on the spot, what it was that junior had completed. The poor kid had no clue why he was awarded patches. Later, when the boy wanted to drop out, it was reportedly because "Cubs is boring." No wonder he was bored--his dad never worked with him on anything, rather, he only reported it was "done" instead. I stress to parents what the expectations are, and the reasonable ones understand that the value of awards is diminished for everyone when someone is presented with something he didn't earn. Others simply don't care. Fortunately, the ones who don't care are the same ones who don't tend to stay in scouts very long.

I don't think there is a lot you can do to prevent this at this point, since a) you are leaving the pack after this year and b) someone else is apparently in charge of handing out the awards.

What you could do, at least for your own son, is help him complete the requirements after he receives his patch. You know what they say about character - it's what you do when no one is watching? Here's a "teachable moment" for your son. Just be sure not to belittle his friends who also got the patch in the process - if they didn't earn that patch it is ultimately up to them to decide whether to make that right, and how, or whether to let it slide.

By the way, yes this is more of an issue (I think) in cub scouting because the parents are so involved as "Akela" and some parents really don't get it. But it happens sometimes in boy scouting too, especially with merit badges "earned" at summer camps.