What is too bad of weather to camp in?

I agree with the other posts that if your scouts are properly prepared it probably is neither too cold nor too wet to go camping. The main thing I get concerned about is wind, particularly on a canoe expedition.

The other hazards previously mentioned also would preclude setting out on an outing.

The only event we do annually which we may reschedule because of weather is our "pre camporee". Since the focus of that car camping event is training and preparing for competitive events, we would rather not have to deal with rain as a distraction.

We were on the verge of cancelling our "wilderness survival" campout this past weekend because a typhoon was supposed to come right over our heads on Saturday night. On Thursday, it broke south and west, and we decided to go.

Saturday was the hottest day we've had this year so far; high 90's with humidity to match, and almost completely clear skies meant constant sun. Ditto on Sunday. We took 6 5-gallon water jugs up there and an 8-gallon jug filled with ice. Six hours after we got there, we filled them again, then again the next morning. 90 gallons of water for 14 persons in 28 hours. We had tarps up and plenty of wooded shade area, and they all drank enough to stay hydrated.

We followed all the guidance on hot-weather activities; scheduled movement outside of the hottest times of day, proper clothing, hydration, eating right, staying in shade, etc. Despite that, the heat definitely affected us and took a little of the fun out of it. In a way, I'm glad it worked out the way it did, because a part of our skill instruction was how to stay effective in extreme weather, and this was definitely extreme for us.

I guess if you live in it all the time it's one thing, but we get this in the summer and cold/snow in the winter (frankly, I prefer that -- I can always get warm with the right clothing).

KS

Never been to Korea personally. I have known several US people who served there in the military, and have dealt with clients who were Koreans. I have never heard anybody say a kind word about the climate of Korea. Kind words about other aspects of Korea, but not the weather.

We had a similar discussion among our Pack's committee members late last fall when scheduling problems pushed our fall campout further into November than we wanted. We came up with a good rule of thumb, for Cub Packs at least, which is this: Cub Scout camping is all about having fun. We're not out there to hone our survival skills, prove our manhood or test our mettle. If the weather forcast looks like if will make for a not-so-fun weekend, we cancel.