When is a pack event not a pack event??

I tend to agree with eagledad. A couple of us parents and leaders in my pack have gone camping together as a group of friends- NOT as scouts, NOT in uniforms, NOT listed on the scout calander... you get the point. Just because we like to camp. And a beer by the fire is a good thing once in a while, lol.

Yes, they can still earn badges. I don't believe there are many requirements that you HAVE to earn only while wearing your 'scout hat'- most of em you can techincally earn at home, as long as your leader agrees that you actually did it.

My suggestion, though- make SURE it's clear that this is not manditory. Don't work on any requirements that the kids have to do as a den, just stick to the bascis ones like id'ing trees, seting up a tent, ect.

At that point, when you are camping as families who met thru scouting, as opposed to a scout den, you have much more leeway in what you do. You just have a better grasp of safety than your average friends-camping-with-kids group!

No one is really fooled by such verbiage. If a disaster happenend, it would still be reported in the news as "a webelos den. . ." However, if you declared on permission slips that some activity was NOT a scout event, I'm sure you'd forfeit any insurance coverage by the BSA. Is that really worth the risk, just to have a cold one by the campfire late one night?

OzarksOsage

I dont see this as being any more of a liability risk to invite families who happen to be in the pack to meet at the XYZ State Park where we will be camping the weekend after next than to invite my next door neighbors to meet at the XYZ State Park where we will be camping the weekend after next. Obviously, we wont be covered by BSA liability, because it isnt a scouting event, everyone is on their own.

Those of us who are considering doing this sort of thing arent doing it in order to have a cold one by the campfire; were going camping with families weve met in Cub Scouts, because in order to schedule an official pack campout, Id have to take BALOO training, and it hasnt been offered in our council at a time that is convenient for me and my family.

DenZero:

The initial post indicates that a group of Webelos II's plans to go camping as a den, but not as a "den" to apparently circumvent GTSS rules and avoid paperwork. Anyone is obviously free to camp with anyone they choose, but if the trip is a thinly disguised pack activity, then I think those involved should be more forthcoming and admit that's what it is and follow the guidelines that are designed for their benefit. That's all I'm saying.

OO

The only problem I see is announcing it at a den/pack meeting. I have become personally close with the familys in my pack and we do stuff outside of scouting like The renaissance festival where alcohol is served. We also DON'T advertise it at BSA events or on our website. I don't see a problem with it, if it is handled correctly.