Is this the role of the troop committee?

Another update. It looks like the majority of the troop is behind me on this. Pretty much everyone placed orders for t-shirts on Monday night and I've heard from a couple of parents (plus one alumnus who helps out a couple of times a year) that they think he was wrong on this. I also talk to our District Commissioner on the phone and he said that he's seen many SM's in the past who can't let go even though they wanted to give up the position. I'm going to talk with our former SM and if he doesn't agree to back off, I'm going to set up a meeting between him, myself, and the district commissioner (who already has agreed to it).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also recently allowed the boys to choose a T-shirt style and then "told" our committee of ther Boys idea's and they thaught it was a good idea and all purchased one themselves. Sounds as if your ex-SM needs to step back and let someone else work with the boys in a "youth run program"!, By the way I also am a graduite of the wood badge course and what he is doing isout of line in my opinon.

Good luck

Hey Chippewa 29, as a commissioner, I've had to deal with similar problems with troop committees and SM's elsewhere in your council recently. There are always resources you can fall back on. Your friend in DC had some valid info and I'm sure his dad will give you all the advice you need if you call him. You may need to convince the troop committee to allow a team from the commissioner's team to come in and do some training.

• 1 month later...

Here is the latest chapter in our saga...

After talking to our DC, I had him come to our recent COH to give a quick speech on the different types of services available for the troop through the district (it was really a promotion for the adults to go to training, but that is what I wanted). While the DC was speaking, our ex-SM interrupted him several times to remind him not to "forget" anything.

At the reception after the COH, the DC pulled our ex-SM aside and asked him to be an ADC (our district is in bad need of them). He had told me before he was going to do this. The DC said after talking to me, he felt the troop was in good hands but we were being held back by our ex-SM (he'd seen it in other troops many times before). Offering an ADC position to our ex-SM would get the DC some help and get him out of my way.

We're hoping it works. By the way, two of the dads in the troop have indicated an interest in going to training after the DC spoke.

This was part of my Wood Badge ticket, design a Class B uniform for the troop. Troop hat. shirt, pants, etc. Presented a t-shirt design and hat design to the troop. Accepted. Currently at certain times of the year scouts are required to wear the offical BSA uniform then switch to the Class B uniform (late spring usually) saves wear and tear on the Class A uniform. At camp breakfast uniform is class B for evening meal class A. The class B uniform for adults is similar but is a polo style shirt with collar. Hang in there.

YIS

Red Feather,

I'm surprised that that would be allowed on a woodbadge ticket. There is no such thing as a Class A , or Class B uniform. This has been discussed in previous strings. There is a Field Uniform and an Activity Uniform. The standards of each are set by the BSA. You are either in uniform or out of uniform but there is no class B. Check the Bot Scout Handbook and Patrol Leaders Handbook for details. No unit or individual has the authority to change the uniform standards.

Bob White

YIKES!

I typed that last one as I was headed out the dorr. let's try again....

Red Feather,

I'm surprised that would be allowed on a Wood Badge ticket. There is no such thing as a Class A , or Class B uniform. This has been discussed in previous strings. There is a Field Uniform and an Activity Uniform. The standards of each are set by the BSA. You are either in uniform or out of uniform but there is no class B. Check the Boy Scout Handbook and Patrol Leaders Handbook for details. No unit or individual has the authority to change the uniform standards.

Bob White

This thread has made me think long and hard about the relationship between the Scoutmaster and the Troop Committee. I understand that the Committee exists to help the SM deliver the program. What about when the SM doesn't follow the program can and should the Committee step in?

Example: SM wants to put all the Patrol members name in a hat and pull a name out to determine who the Patrol Leader will be. SM's logic is that this gives all the boys a fair chance to become PL. Does the Committee Step in?

Example: SM doesn't hold an annual PLC planning session because the boys don't have enough life experiences to know what they want to do. Does the Committee step in?

Suggest to the Scoutmaster some alternatives to accomplish his goal of boy leadership. There are lots of other boy leader positions besides patrol leader. If he has not been to training, I'd suggest the committee send him. They should go too, plus do the Committee Challenge training. Then the committee can intellegently discuss with the SM the importance of following Scouting methods. I'd be hesitant to step in in take over.

FScouter

I should have been more concise. When I said step in I didn't mean take over the Scoutmasters job or role but rather to tell him that he has to have elections ect.

The answer to you training question is as follows:

Committee Chair - Fast Start, NLE, scheduled for Job Specific on the 14th of September.

Committee Member (Myself)- Fast Start, NLE, Scoutmaster Fundamental, Boy Scout Outdoor Leaders Training, Cubmaster Job Specific, Den Leader Training, Webelos Leader Outdoor Training, BALOO, Woodbadge, scheduled for Committe Job Specific on the 14th. I am also on the District Training Team.

Scoutmaster - Woodbadge Trained, Fast Start

Asst. Scoutmaster - Fast Start, NLE, Den Leader Training and Webelos Leader Outdoor Training

The third member of our Committee is the SM's wife who he didn't need to go to training, she was just on the committee to meet the minimum requirements.

As you can probably see training is a sore spot between the two of us. He contends that since he has been to Woodbadge he is qualified for any position. I've asked him to get a letter from the Council stating that all of the Training Requirements for him have been waived so that we can become a Quality Unit.

Thanks

keeping a Troop committee trained is an ongoing process. Just when you get them all trained one of them has to drop out. just like in the troop you just get them trained and they move on. I would recommend that part of every troop committee meeting is training. Just like every scout meeting and PLC has training in it.

If you can get the ongoing training to become a tradition you win.

But just like the scout master handbook says most new scout masters start with less than an ideal troop. If they know the program and work hard at training. In about 1-2 years they will have an ideal troop.

"The third member of our Committee is the SM's wife who he didn't need to go to training, she was just on the committee to meet the minimum requirements."

First of all, NOBODY should be on a Committee simply to meet the minimum requirements. If they are not there to do the job then you should find someone who will. Surely, out of all of the parents, you can find 1 who is willing to give up, at the very least, 1 evening a month?? If you can not find anyone then this woman should get trained. Having someone on the Committee in name only is doing a bid disservice to your Troop.

Secondly, Woodbadge is wonderful, but it is supplemental training. It does NOT replace NLE or job specific training. If you look at the requirements to wear the "Trained" patch it says you have to have completed the training specific to your position. Also, Cub Scout training does not mean anything in Boy Scouts. Your ASM's need to be trained for the Boy Scout level.

Maybe you could invite your District Commissioner to attend a Committee meeting and talk to them about training!

I agree with scoutnut (with one exception Wood Badge is advanced training not supplemental).

You don't wnat or need seat fillers. Determine specific tasks that need to be done asd ask specific people to do it. The whole reason behind the new training continuum is Leaders Specific Training. As your job changes you need to go to the session specific to your new position.

Consider offering Training at your meeting place. We did New Leader essentials during a troop meeting night for the committee and all interested parents, it only takes 90minutes. Then we did a lock-in night for the scouts and did the 3-hour troop committee challenge for the committee and potential committee members. 15 adults completed both sessions.

Work with your district training chair to corrdinate this.

"Every boy deserves a trained leader" BP

Best of luck,

Bob White

Bob

You said

I'm surprised that would be allowed on a Wood Badge ticket. There is no such thing as a Class A , or Class B uniform. This has been discussed in previous strings. There is a Field Uniform and an Activity Uniform.

So are you telling me during my Wood badge training when the Patrol Leader said the Scoutmaster said we could change into Class Bs they where incorrect? The uniform we could change into was scout pants or shorts, scout socks, and a T-shirt that had a reference to scouts on it.

Are you telling me that my Wood Badge training is not following BSA methods?

The point I am trying to make here is that in my humble opinion you are getting hung up on the words. Look at the actions to make sure they are correct and take some words with a grain of salt. If I am correct there is no info on what an activity uniform is, so it can be almost anything that the troop wants it to be, correct?

I could pick apart many post that do not follow BSA wording, such as using acronyms for training courses and troop positions such as PL, SPL, PLC, WOLT, the only one I have every seen shortened in BSA paperwork is BALOO