Emergency Preparedness Award

Do many of you work on the Emergency Preparedness Award for your Cub Scouts? I thought it would be a great experience for the kids to learn a little more about being ready for emergency situations. We had a paramedic in the Pack take a look at the American Red Cross online Basic Aid Training and he wasn't sure how well it fit for the Tiger and Wolf scouts. What is your opinion? The award does have requirements for all for levels. The local Red Cross does not offer Basic Aid Training until 4th grade, so that rules out the Wolf and Bear ranks.

I would like to get some more awareness by the boys, AND have some fun. Any ideas?

I worked on this award with my Tiger den (12 boys). It was a great thing. We used the McGruff requirement for the Tigers and I plan on using the Red Cross material for them again as Wolves. I see this as a yearly program to work on adding a little more complexity as we go each year. Just becasuse they have earned the pin (and can only wear one on their uniform) doesn't mean that we shouldn't run the entire set of requirements each year to get them more comfortable.

I ordered both the Basic Aid Training and also First Aid for Children Today (FACT) and will be using them in several den meetings throughout the next couple of years. I more than likely will be supplementing the instruction with some Boy Scout First Aid MB things.. just to have them see them and start to understand.. not be able to perform.

Biggest thing to remember here is to get the boys to have fun and remember a few key facts to keep them from panic (as much as possible). I often see the boys reacting to the inevitable injuries a lot better and seeking to help rather than run the other way.

I also used it as a time for me to focus on our Pack/Den safety and make sure that we had the proper amount of first aid kits spread out to the dens and for Pack events.

The adult leader should strive to earn this award as well. My boys love the fact that we earned a "badge" together and all (leader and boys) wear it. I guess it makes them feel like they are more grown up to wear a badge their leader wears as well.

Two years ago when my boys were wolves we earned the EP pin, along with the bear den.

We ordered free workbooks from Fema got enough for the whole pack, didnt even have to pay shipping! There are two books for different age levels, so you can pick the ones that work best for you.

We spent two meetings talking about being prepared, using some things from our book and fema book. Our friend a trained Fire/paramedic come in and helped.

For our last requirement-

We had a meeting for our families- sibs parents cousins whoever.

The boys talked first explaining what they had learned, showing posters they made and what they had done in the books. Then the lights went out- our guy came in - to a completely dark room in full gear, with the big flash light and the mask that sounds like Darth Vader. Its a little scary, but a great experience for the kids. After the lights came up all the kids, (sibs too) got to look over the equipment and ask questions.

Fema site - http://www.fema.gov/kids/pubs.htm

My two sons and I worked on that one as an individual award. The E-kit is still ready to use in the basement.

I thought about doing it as a den but our local red cross is outrageously expensive to get training to teach basic aid training. Is there somewhere I could just get the book and teach myself the course? It doesn't look to be more than common sense.

When my youngest son did the EP as a Wolf, we skipped McGruff but had him teach the den NRA's Eddie Eagle Gun Safe Program. What to do if you find a gun. "Stop, Don't Touch, Leave the Area, Tell an Adult." He did a good job with it.

"I thought about doing it as a den but our local red cross is outrageously expensive to get training to teach basic aid training. Is there somewhere I could just get the book and teach myself the course? It doesn't look to be more than common sense"

Look into your county government. Ours teaches a disater response training and gives you supplies for 10 people for free.

Also contact a hospital they may have a trainer willing to do a basic age appropriate course for your cubs.

you can also have an ambulance corp or Nurse come in. We're mostly talking basic first aid and where to go for help-- -

Another possibility for disaster preparedness / disaster response training is your local CERT (Community Emergency Response Team).

Not all communities have a CERT, but if yours does, you might contact them to see what they can do for you.

cut and paste from fema site...

FEMA Publications

You can get posters, videos and other fun things for free from FEMA. There are two ways to get FEMA publications. You can call, toll-free 1-800-480-2520 or you can write to:

FEMA

P.O. Box 2012

Jessup MD 20794-2012

You cannot send E-mail requesting publications. FEMA cannot send material outside the U.S.

Here is a listing of some of the things you can order.

* A Disaster Preparedness Activity Book (Ages 8-11) FEMA 523

* A Disaster Preparedness Activity Book (Ages 4-7) FEMA 522

* Brochure: Wildfire-Are you Prepared? 5-228 L203

* Door Knob Hanger: Fire Safety. Ask for 5-0200

• 2 weeks later...