Cub Scout Fast Tracks Advancement Program

OK - Big problem - Materials are NOT up to date on the Tiger program. There is no more Tiger Motto at all. Tigers use the Cub Scout Motto, just like the rest of the Cubs.

Also, this is simply following the Tiger Handbook along with a den newsletter to remind/update families.

So, how does it save the den leader time? They either read their Handbook and use that info along with what they like from the Program Helps - or they read the materials for this program and use what they like (or use 100% with no variation).

You still have to read the information, get materials together, plan activities, have alt activities ready just in case, create a newsletter each week, etc, etc. I really don't see the advantage here except to a brand new leader, or to one who typically does not run a good den program on their own.

It is running a GOOD, FUN, program that keeps the boys and their families in - not cranking out the awards.

Our Pack has a retention rate of 90-95%, the den leaders run good programs, the Pack runs a good, year round, program, and while we do our best to get each boy to earn his rank, sometimes it just does not happen. Do we loose those boys who do not make their rank one year? NO! Why? Because the families know that awards are not just handed out and that they are responsible for working with their sons. And because we run a GOOD, FUN, Scout program! Usually, the year after a boy misses his rank award, his family makes a point to work with him and it does not happen a second time.

Our council has not said anything so far about participating in the expanded pilot program. I will withhold my final opinion until I see actual, current materials. However, from what I have read, here and elsewhere, I am not excited by it.

This thread is interesting to me as we just meet with the DE this week about staring a Pack. She handed us the brochure about Fast Track immediately as "the answer" for a brand new Pack. I am hestitant to commit us to something I know very little about. Thanks for sharing you opinions.

• 1 month later...

National should be relasing more information at the end of the month, if not the beginning of August...

As for ScoutNut, don't kill the messenger...there is no reason to tear apart some information that I posted from LAST YEAR...it was a typical meeting layout...it works for those who take on a leadership role, but have no idea on what to do, and don't have the support in a pack like yours does...

As a Unit Commissioner, I would reccmmend the program for new units, or for units that have a hard time with retention or advancement, which go hand in hand...it makes life a bit easier for those who don't know the program, and decide that they want to make the commitment.

I have used the 'Fast Track' program, as a new leader a found it helpful. I had been involved and seen several den meetings before I took over but if not 'Fast Track' would be a great supplementary tool until NLE and Leader Specific training.

As a Webelos leader I didn't see anything I would use but I still think the information is useful. Our Pack has no problems with Advancement but I would imagine that BSA has looked at the numbers and they have come up with this program to help those who aren't making the grade.

It only takes about 30-45 minutes to complete and can be done online (I did it on my lunch break at work) and it is now a requirement to be considered a 'Trained' leader. Although it may not be necessary or useful to everyone if you haven't tried it yet you really have no right to cast stones because of what you 'assume' it does or doesn't do or if it is effective.

PACK15NISSAN - I believe you are mistaking "Fask Track" with "Fast Start" training.

"Fast Start" is a great online training for new leaders to get them up and running until training is complete.

"Fast Track" (They probably could have picked a more unique name!) is a new BSA program somewhat comparable to the "programs helps" booklet that guides a den though the rank requirements from the beginning to the end of the scout year.

This thread is about the "Fast Track" program. It is new and only a select few were able to use it last year. Myself and others are trying to learn more since the details will not be out until ~August.

Am I wrong or is this just Program Helps without the monthly themes? If so, and if it's going nation-wide this coming Fall (which seems to be supported by a quick search on those councils doing the pilot), than why have Program Helps at all?

This is NOT going National this Fall.

This is STILL a PILOT program.

It has been expanded to the entire Central Region.

It is NOT mandatory. Only councils who are interested are participating. Also, in those participating councils, it is not mandatory. It is up to individual Packs, and dens, in the individual councils, if they want to participate.

From what I have seen it is indeed like Program Helps, only more so. Perhaps it would be good for a brand new Pack, a brand new leader, or a leader who needs to be lead by the hand thru every aspect of the program in order to provide a decent program for their boys.

Other than that, for me - as a possible available resource similar to Program Helps - OK. As a whole new re-written Cub Scout Program - NOPE.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL! I actualy just noticed that on the National site and was looking for the old thread to post the link!

I went thru some of it, and it seems to give short shift (quick & dirty) to some of the requirements/electives. It also really crams the stuff in there.

I still do not like that it takes away most of the Family Involvement method. Even with the Tigers, it has you doing most of the Family Achievements in the den.

And the much repeated resource section is simply the National Web site.

It just feels WAY to regimented for me.

I just looked this over this am and have noticed one thing that is troubling.

Looking over the Wolf Den meetings i double checke dthe 08-09 Program Helps and the two do not match up.

I am wondering if this is suppose to be this way or is this actually a lack of coordination between the two tools?

any thoughts?

YIS

SCott Truax

I just looked this over this am and have noticed one thing that is troubling.

Looking over the Wolf Den meetings i double checke dthe 08-09 Program Helps and the two do not match up.

I am wondering if this is suppose to be this way or is this actually a lack of coordination between the two tools?

any thoughts?

YIS

SCott Truax

Fast Tracks (It's new name) was a pilot program used in the Central Region to help with retention of Cubs. The premise was that using the home based program, cubs would drop out as their parents did not always have the time to work on their advancement with them. By bringing the advancement back into the den, the den leader could work with them, thus earning more advancement ended up with higher retention numbers. In the data I've seen from the Central Region office on the program, is has been a success.

David Harrison

While I much prefer the traditional method, I think that the reality is that this is the way it will go. Den leaders now days are busier than ever and this will help them to plan their Den. Additionally, I think the work at home method best achieves the means of Cub Scouts, but once more reality exists. I see a significant number of Cubs that I get the feeling haven't really done their requirements, the parent either just signs off on it, or they do it half-way. At least by doing most of them in the Dens, you know that they are actually being covered.