Changing from Den numeral to a Den name for Webelos

Use of a den emblem is optional for Webelos dens -- some packs limit their use to second year Webelos dens, but I find no support for that limitation in the Insignia Guide.

My experience is that the boys like den emblems, and only rarely are they not able to settle on an emblem that's agreeable to all. As a former WDL, the only limit I put on their choice was that they select from among the "standard" patrol patches available at our Scout Shop.

Our boys liked picking their den emblem - it made them feel important and helped w/ the mental transition from Cubs to Boy Scouts. As fgoodwin says - some groups limit it to second year Webelos, though I'm not sure why. Also - as he did, we limit them to standard patrol patches - otherwise they had free reign.

At the first Webelos meeting of the year (for us that is September) the Webelos worked w/ their den chief to pick a den emblem and den name. Then they set about making their den flag (sort of like a Boy Scout Patrol would do) to take with them to Webeloree. At each event the Webelos Den attended a patch (or ribbon) would be added to their flag. When they bridge over to Boy Scouts they "retire" their den flag so future Webelos can use them as an example to build on.

YMMV

YiS

Michelle

In our pack, it has been tradition that the Webelos pick a den name and emblem when they "graduate" to their second year of Webelos in June. This is when we give the boys in each den the handbook, neckerchief and slide of the new rank they are graduating into. Since the Webelos don't get a new book, slide, or neckerchief for their second year, their den emblem patch has become what the pack gives them.

We actually let them have free reign, and have had resourceful parents create interesting patches using blanks and iron-on transfers, or even one mother who had an embroidery machine. Last year, it was the "Flying Pigs" Den. That was a cool looking patch.

Our Webelos II boys adopted an emblem this past cub year. To my knowledge this was the first time our Pack did this. We had two small Webelos II dens that merged (six boys total in the end).

The boys voted on their emblem and became the Dragon Patrol. They made a Patrol flag that they used in some ceremonies and at the Klondike Derby.

Once they adopted the emblem the boys liked to refer to themselves as the Dragon Patrol but officially they are (until the May 17th cross over) still a den.

YIS

Mike