Transitioning from Cub Scout to Webelo Uniforms

We swap over to the tan at the beginning of the Webelo I school year. Most of the time the boys have completely outgrown the blue uniform now that you buy it at the Tiger level. We bought my twins the blue uniform as Tigers (they were HUGE on them) and last year at the end of the year they were barely getting in them.

Buy a bigger tan shirt, something they can get in to for 2 years Webelos, and one or two years of Boy Scouts.

It just seems a like a mish mosh if a couple Webelos are in the Cub blues & a few are in the Boy Scout shirts. Not very uniform to me. When I was a Cubmaster, all the Webelos dens went to the Boy Scout shirts. The kids likes them & it gave them a sense of accomplishment.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

At the end of the day, though, it's a family decision.

Wonder what the current Cub Scout Leader Book says about the uniform method and Cubbing for Webelos? Ditto the Uniform Guide?

Ed - I agree with you - not very uniform uniforming. Even if the boy opts for the Green and Tan, he can still choose to wear the blue belt because the sports/academic beltloops won't fit on the green. I don't care which one they go with, but I do wish there was "just one".

But, then again, National didn't ask me. LOL

YiS

Michelle

We had the boys stay in blue until the Blue and Gold banquet of their Webelos I year, at which point they typically earned the Webelos badge. Keeping the blue uniform let them have a little while to wear their Bear badge and all the arrow points that they earned in third grade, but then we switched to the oval Webelos badge.

And yes, I know it's not "official" or "required" - that's just the way we parents decided we'd do it for our den. A new boy joining in 4th grade would go straight to the tan. A boy who grew quickly might move to the tan earlier, if he was bursting the buttons on his blue uniform. But a den does look good when they all look the same.

we had 2 boys join our den of 4 existing (since Tigers) scouts as Webelos 1's. We told thier parents NOT to get them the blue shirts the other boys were wearing because of the short term- use. My son and another boy switched over after they earned thier Webelos badge; thier blue shirts were waaaay to tight. The other 2 boys can't bare to give up all the arrow points and rank badges on thier blue shirts, so they will wear them thru bridging.

If you are concerned about uniformity...

we are giving the boys badge vests, so they will all match on the outside, lol! BTW, we found a great alternative to the red felt- Wal Mart has a tan lighter canvas material that seems to hold up very well.