District Pinewood - Budget/Planning Resources?

Hey all:

I have raised my hand to plan our District's PWood for 2009 and am looking for two things:

- We seek a baseline for our budget, and are looking for copies of other districts' Pwood budgets for reference.

- I'm also looking for any resources for planning District Pinewood derbies. I see boatloads of "how to plan Cub unit derbies", but haven't yet seen one that addresses district events.

If you have something that can help, please post a reply and we can figure out how to share this info.

Many thanks!

Here's my 2cents on this.

You will need to consider the following before looking at a budget:

(based on apck progream just larger scale for district)

Decorations: how much or can you get donations

AWARDS: Will be most of your budget. What types of awards are you giving out and how many-- just 1-3rd(or 4th) in large trophies (we ordewred through a website and got huge ones at an awesome price).

Use medals for 1-4th in age age group and ribbons and patches for each participant?

Any awards for Best of Categories and what type- Trophy or medal or certificate?

Track: Do you have one already or borrowing one- does it need any maintenence?

Advertising: Any cost associtaed w/ this-- flyers, newspapres, etc or just by email.

We had a cafe that sold hotdogs, soda, candy snacks that were all donated and it covered the cost or our derby.consider this to make up cost.

Any registration fee for scouts and do they bring their own car or are you supplying them??

You may want to find a cost for each of those above and any others I have not addressed and then add it up.

Our district derby is held in one of the atrium areas at a local shopping mall. http://threerivers.nsbsa.org/distderby.htm (Scoll down for pictures).

I don't believe they charge us, so our costs are the trophies, participation patches and some av equipment.

While I'm a member of the District Cub Activities committee which oversees this event, I've never gotten heavily involved. The only difference in planning is going to be scale, and a registration process. We typically do a Saturday race, with a Friday evening set up and check in. As you can see from the reports, there were close to 600 cars in the race this year so the early check in is important. We send out a printed packet with the rules and a sign in sheet each fall (usually in September or October), so that packs can match their rules with those of the district and the council.

BTW, the council race is held each year at the Mall of America.

http://www.northernstarbsa.org/ActivitiesCivicService/Local/CouncilDerby.aspx

Sorry I don't have access to the budget.