What does a membership chair do?

I am taking on the position of membership chair and would like some tips and pointers from anyone who has done it or has one in their pack. There has not been anyone filling this position in our pack for a long time.

I know what the leader book says is the positions duties. I was just wanting some specific ideas or suggestions. Tell me what you have done or what your pack has done with this.

Thank you.

Do you mean Recruiter and Registration chair??

I'd say help set up recruiting events,make sure the paperwork and fees are collected (and correctly filled out)then submitted to council. At re-registration keep track of fees being submitted. Depending on the pack they may have you do the online registration for the pack. More important-- What does our pack WANT you to do or need you to do??

In our pack this was a paperwork job - make sure the new scouts' registration forms are completed, signed, and turned in, help run recruiting events like Round Up in fall, or spring recruiting, etc..

Some packs ask their membership chairs to be in charge of general record keeping and also tracking down any boys who seem to have dropped out. Others delegate those tasks to other people. So it might be good to see what the Committee Chair wants you to do, and sit down with him/her to figure out what you're willing to do as well. It always helps to be on the same page.

Willingandable, welcome to the forums.

If your pack doesn't have one, you need to get a copy of teh Cub Scout Leader Book -- it outlines the responsibilities of teh membership & registration chair.

As a former Pack CC, I worked closely with my membership chair to ensure the membership forms were correct, and timely entered into Pack Master (your pack may use a different program). Only a few people had write access to PM: me, the CM, the membership chair and the advancement chair. All the DLs had read access, to check accuracy.

The CM and I usually planned the membership drives, but with input from the membership chair and other committee members and DLs. The membership chair also played a large role during recharter, to ensure the council records were accurate and complete.

We call our chair just Recruiter. In any case (if you don't know already), have all the contact info for each den and leader and be familiar with den numbers and meeting nights and times to brief new members. Know where to purchase (or if the pack has a store) uniforms and what they need in teh way of emblems. Brief them on proper uniforming or give them handouts about placement of emblems. Have new leader and new scout registration forms on hand always. Make sure you know what fees you are charging if different than just the national reg. Have info and samples of boys life as well as leader books. The main job for ours is setting up and advertising recruiting events so mostly it's seasonal and following up on any contacts and inquiries during the year. You may also want to keep on eye on any recruiting oppportunites that come up to participate-- council-wide or community events.