Baloo & Owl training

Do you need to wear or bring your uniform for either of these training sessions? We're having a hard time getting information. We did finally get out of them that you need to bring your own tent and food would be provided.

We do not require BALOO participants to be in uniform however it is a scouting function and uniform is appropriate if they have one many BALOO participants are cub scout committee members so they most likely do not own a uniform. Webelos leader outdoor which is the latest incarnation of the old OWL course a ubiform would be useful for flag, dinner, and church. We do not overnite the BALOO trainees the Webelos leaders stay over one night. We specify a tent no larger than 7' X 9' to stop the mega tents and popups from appearing. This is all at the discretion of your local training comittee.

Ironically at these courses, you should be taught that before an activity, an outdoor activity leader should ask or have a copy of your medical form and provide to you an equipment list or reference an existing one, say 'Use equipment list on page 224 of Scout handbook' as you might want to bring a water bottle and sleeping bag. Before departure, the outdoor leader reviews medical form (would be nice to know of any food allergies before ordering food) and often checks a new person's equipment.

My unit only takes Class A uniforms if the campout is a district camporee or scout summer camp, as there is other clothing more functional for outdoor activity.

I took the BALOO training last fall, which was a subset of the IOLS for my Council. I didn't own a uniform at the time. I felt a little out of place in that ALL of the IOLS students wore uniforms and 75% of the BALOO students were in uniform. If you have one, go ahead and wear it. I think my comfort level was self-imposed. It was a great day of training.

Info on the courses should not be that hard to come by. Contact either the specific Course Director or your District Training Chair. Contact info for the Course Director should be on each registration sheet for the training course that you filled out. Contact info for District Training Chair should be available either on your Council Web site or from your Council Service Center.

As others have stated, you should wear your uniform to trainings if you have one. However, it is not mandatory. If it is an outdoor training and you are staying overnight, a tent is necessary or you will be sleeping under the stars!

For the trainings that I have attended, and the ones that I have been CD for, a list of things to bring has been supplied to all registered participants.

I just took Baloo training along with one other leader from our pack. When we went we were the only two in uniform other than the instructors. We were both surprised but I still think it was the right way to dress. The only time I go to a scout event and do not wear the uniform is camping with the pack and committee meetings. I for sure would always wear it to any district event or training.

Y.I.S.

Talen