Does anyone have any new ideas or thoughts on Camp Kitchen Boxes. I looked at the previous post and the plans back in 2000 but was wondering if any new ideas have been thought up. Looking to see what works, what doesn't work. Sizes? Weight? Etc.

Our troop found every downloadable patrol box we could find and considered all of them as a replacement for our large wooden box that the boys can not(nor do they want to)carry.

We saw a troop that used Rubermaid Garden Carts for patrol boxes (modified a bit) and a table. Our boys liked these because they were lighter, smaller and much easier to handle. They said they liked them better than anything they could build. So we are going to give them a try.

We are now raising the money for the (3)new boxes and tables at a cost of about $100.00 for each set. The only ones we found though were made by Suncast and were the BGC2000 (about $65.00)and now I see they have a PJC2500. They look similar.

We hope to have these soon, modified and in service. I can let you know how they work out but it might be a month or two.(This message has been edited by scoutmaster424)

Patrol camp boxes are kind of neat if you plan to do a lot of car camping at undeveloped sites. Our troop does not have any, and I would resist the idea of making them if the idea came up. We have limited storage space and need to use the space for those things we use regularly. When we do a car camping event, there are always picnic tables available. For storage, we prefer the plastic bins that are commonly available these days. You really need to think about this before you commit to the idea.

eisely has a point. Our troop is new with young boys and we do more of what he calls car camping. We frequent places where we can get into or close to with our vehicles. We do not have a storage problem either(unless you call lots of small stuff on shelves a problem), but we do have nearly enough small equipment and goods for the three patrol boxes we plan to buy. Then most of the small stuff will be stored in there. All of the patrols equipment will be kept in the box. Even the backpack stoves, etc. We use totes too. This works for us. It might not work for others. Each will have to decide what would be best for them.

By the way, I have typed the words Patrol box, Camp Box, and every other name I coould think of for these things into several search engines and have come up with practically the same thing. Wooden boxes with one drop side, with two drop sides, and one or two variations, I have all that I found downloaded and in a zip file. If you want it, email me and I will send it to you.(This message has been edited by scoutmaster424)

Here are the links for both.

Project Cart PJC2500

http://www.suncast.com/utilitystorage/38/pjc2500/

Barbeque and Garden Cart BGC2000

http://www.suncast.com/lawnandgarden/19/bgc2000/

Took me a while to find them. They put them is what I think were odd locations on the website. Also, if you email them, they will respond promptly with pricing and where to get them in your area.

Hope this helps!

Our troop uses wooden boxes with 2 drop sides that function as table surfaces. The legs are metal posts that slide into the handles for carrying -- 2 big boys or 4 small boys can carry this. Each patrol has a cookbox packed with campstove, cooking utensils, cleaning utensils. There is also an "adult" cookbox -- it has the coffee pot in it! After a campout, the cookboxes go back into storage (troop trailer and garage). The dishrags go home with the QM to be washed and brought back.

The cookbox idea does solve the problem that someone else mentioned about the boys forgetting the frypan. Each box has a frypan in it at all times. The one things the boxes do not have that it sometimes needed is a strainer for draining hamburger meat or spaghetti -- but you can make do without one of those.

I think someone built these for the troop. They work fine for "car camping". Ask around and you can probably get flatware and other dishes donated from families.

Sctmom is right. These do keep everything together and helps keep things from getting forgotten. Also, if your charter organization is a church, you can put an add in thier bulletin about your needs (especially the small stuff, i.e., flatware, strainers, etc) People will clean out thier kitchens for you. Our CO is a church and we did this, the next Sunday, there were three boxes of stuff from flatware, napkins, towels, cups, cooking utinsels, coffee pots, even a teapot!