your thoughts?

"she doesnt want to do anything but go on the campouts."

I was afraid that was what was meant, but hoped I was misinterpreting!

That is why I stated that the Pack is not a private camping club. I think allowing her to just tag along on campouts is setting a bad precedent.

Let her know that while you are happy she had such a good time in Cub Scouts, if she is not an ACTIVE Pack Leader, the Pack can not reasonably bring her and her family along on campouts.

Suggest she take SM training, Specific and Outdoor, and go camping with the Troop. In the meantime, doing some family camping on their own would be a great family bonding experience.

I would politely thank her, and let her know that if you need an extra adult along to help, you will certainly let her know.

but IMO an extra FAMILY tagging along on a Cub campout sounds like more of a drag on you all than anything else!

I think it's great that you have an experienced leader that wants to stay on. I'd take advantage and get a really good position out of them. Need a Committe Chair or Secretary? I believe to stay on they should be some sort of registered leader or committee position. As far as fees are concerned if your pack charges the adults then do that but your pack still pays National for them. I would not keep them on w/o be a registered postion of some sort.... Pack Trainer... Outdoor activiti chair....... There are all sorts of positions you could just call Committee member. But make sure they have a JOB to do , not just hanging along for the activities. You may want to approach them and let them know the Council may also want them if they are willing... how about a Unit Advisor or other council post?

If your Committee decides to cahrge them just require wahtever registration fees it costs an adult in your council. If your pack has the funds don't charge them.

I cant speak for Gold Winger, but I asked why to try to understand what she was planing on helping with. it sounded to me at the time that she was mostly intersted in camping. which the pack shouldent be doing much of, which lead me to beleve that maybe she wasent the most commited leader.

Why would a Scouter stay in Cubbing after their boy has moved up?

Perhaps, just perhaps, because they think that is where they can make their best contributions to units in the District over time. Some folk are better suited to work with K-6 kids than they are with High School kids. That's why some go into elementary ed, and some into secondary ed.

As to this situation: "Mrs. Smith, we'd love to have you continue serving Scouting and Pack 123. I'd love to recharter you for Camping Events Coordinator on our committee. Would you be willing to serve there?"

If still "I want to be social...", then, with sadness "I'm sorry, Mrs Smith, but I will have to talk to our COR first. He might be a little uncomfortable with a non-associated adult around the program. May I get back to you next week?"

John-in-KC, that's the way I feel too. I do fine with the scout-aged boys but I really enjoy the cubs more. And I did stay for several years after my son moved up in order to maintain continuity...the guy who was supposed to take over as CM took a job elsewhere and moved away at the last minute. I stayed long enough to recruit the next CM.

If they needed this old cubmaster back again, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat. But as it is, I guess they need me to help with the older boys. Sigh.

I think I read it on this forum that sometimes it is best to let your son cross over without becoming immediately involved with the troop. What better way to stay active and to help the old Pack than to continue as a leader. With the experience of going through a complete cycle of Cub Scouting (Tiger to AOL), Pack Trainer would be an optimal position for someone like this, if they are willing. They could also help the new Tiger Leaders, who probably need a good guiding hand. Plenty of opportunities.

i think we all agree that an experienced leader is great for helping.

can i remind those who may have skipped a couple posts that...

she is NOT interested in being a leader

she is NOT interested in playing a role in the pack (heck - when she was running campouts it was like pulling teeth to even get a our permit as she didnt see the need for them)

like someone stated - she wants to be in the "monthly social camping and outfdoor activities club"

when she talked to me last she was complaining at how much boy scouts costs - and how much they have to sell for summer camp. makes me wonder now if she wants to be in a scouting-lite program for her older son. all the values at half the cost

I think you've answered yourself.

I'd let her know that unless you are a registered leader you can no longer participate as a family in Cub Scout functions. There are also liability issues. Cub socuts and registered leaders are covered by the council, the pack pays for their insurance. I'd let them know that unless she plays an actual leader role and can do the job thouroughly AND be registered, liability simply does not allow her to continue. Sorry Boy Scouts costs so much but Cub Scouts are not a discount travel club.