your thoughts?

i have a webelos leader whose son is crossing over this next month and going into a troop.

they want to still participate in outdoor activities next year (camping and such). as a leader - she had an application on file and was part of the pack - does she need to do anything to continue participating???

i would think an adult volunteer application - but would there need to be anything with the older son or other family members(assuming they also participate)?

maybe i should just feel good that a family likes the pack activities enough to continue.

the other question was revolving around the pack fees. obviously fund raising helps offset any costs we have. our pack only collects a pack fee the first yer a scout joins and their sales continue to "help the pack go". since they wont be selling popcorn - should they have to pay a pack fee?

just a couple things discussed at tonights meeting

thanks

My first question is "Why?"

When my son crossed over, I told the pack committee that I'd be willing to stick around and continue doing my committee job if they needed me. They didn't, so I took off. I did go to the Pinewood Derby just to see old friends and make sure that they were "doing it right" :-) If asked, I would have been willing to be the second leader on a hike or something like that but I would have felt strange showing up at every event when I had no function there.

What are does this fellow want to do? Does he want to support a den? Be another ACM?

Why would he drag his family along? His son is now a Boy Scout, are there siblings in the pack?

If he's registered with a troop, there's no need for a second registration unless you want him to take on a committee role or be an ACM.

Fees? Tell him up front that since his son's not selling popcorn that he'll be expected to cover his expenses.

That's my tuppence.

Having a leader stay active with the Pack when their son moves on to Boy Scouts is a good thing. Not many will consider it.

However - The Pack is not a private, camping club. If this person is going to be a registered leader in the Pack, she should have a specific position and job. Do you need a Tiger Leader? Having an experienced, permanent, Tiger Leader can be a big help. Do you have an Activities Chair on your Committee? Since she likes to camp and do outdoor activities, Activities Chair might be a good fit. She could take BALOO training too and help run the camping program. How about Pack Trainer?

She is already/still a registered member of your Pack, and will be until such time as she quits, transfers, or is not re-chartered with the Pack. Another Adult Membership form (and another registration fee) is not needed. All you should have to do is contact your council registrar and let them know that she is changing her job code from Webelos Den Leader (WL) to Tiger Den Leader (TL), Committee Member (MC), Pack Trainer (PT), or whatever.

As for Pack fees - Do all of your other Pack Leaders (NOT youth, but adults) pay a Pack fee? If yes, than she should pay the same fee. If Pack fees are only paid by the youth, and not the adults, than no, she should not be expected to pay the annual Pack fee.

If there are any fees associated with activities, such as entrance fees, tickets, camping fees, Blue and Gold dinner tickets, etc, that the other adults in the Pack are expected to pay in order to attend, then she should be expected to pay them for herself and her family if they attend also.

Does every single family in the Pack sell popcorn? Somehow I doubt it. Remember, she will be working for the Pack, not just showing up to have fun and camp. There is nothing wrong with her taking a popcorn form to work if she feels it is appropriate. She can also put together and help run a popcorn Show and Sell Booth Sale or two, if she wants to. If her son's Boy Scout Troop also sells popcorn, she will most likely be putting most of her popcorn sales efforts in that direction. However, she might very well purchase a bit of popcorn from a boy in the Pack - IF they remember to ask her!

Ed is correct...dual registrations are common, and only require one registration fee. The boy scout should be encouraged to become a Den Chief if he still wants to be active with the Pack. That being said, the only camping the Pack should be doing is "Family Camping", so the entire family should be welcomed to participate...and pay their fair share of the expenses either with cash, or through fund raising.

Ed and scoutldr have nailed it. Have her register as a committee member or assistant cubmaster. However, you might consider asking her to take your council's BALOO training. A pack is required to have at least one leader with this training present at its overnighters. More is better. Just a thought in case you think you might need to justify her participation in your pack's outdoor activities.

Dont think theres anything wrong with it, but I have to go with Gold Winger on this one.

WHY?....

Cub scouts is really more of family affair, and as far as her son goes, I dont know that the current cubs need or want some older kid around telling them what to do. She may also find that if she sticks around to long there will be arguments. packs change and shift with reshem change, and in the long term future Im just not convinced that she would be able to easily fit in.

That said, if shes going to stay. I think the idea of having a full time tiger leader is great.

When I was CM I noticed that adults tended to wilt at Bear or Webelos level. So I would have welcomed someone to take on a Bear den and take them through Webelos. I think the pack would have retained a few boys if someone like that had been available.

Having an adult remain in the Pack is normally not a problem.

But sometimes, not all the time having a Lad who has just left the pack and joined a Troop participate in Pack activities can be a headache.

Of course a lot depends on the kid and on the parent.

I kinda, sorta think allowing some time to pass before allowing a new Boy Scout to participate in Cub Scout activities is a good idea.

As far as I know there is no rule or anything that says a Boy Scout can't participate in any activity that his parent is active in.

Bur I might be wrong.

Eamonn.

Our Pack currently has 3 registered and active adults who's boys have been out of the Pack for a number of years. Our current Webelos I leader plans on staying at the Pack level next year when her son moves over to the Troop. Great, wonderful for us...maybe now we can get someone training to the Pack Trainer position, as well has having an experienced Cub Scouter to mentor new leaders/parents as they join the Pack.

Why do these people (myself included) stay at the Pack level when their boys are long gone? I can only speak for myself when I say it is just for the boys. That's it, no other big secret. I am currently back to being "just" the CM, after having been Wolf/Bear combo den leader, Webelos I DL and Webelos II DL. My only Scout is now a 14 Life Scout and former DC. I enjoy working with the elementary school aged boys, but I don't necessarily have the temperment to take on a bigger role at the Troop level (though I am a fully trained Troop Committee Member and enjoy that role) and I also don't believe I should be a Direct Boy Contact leader at the troop level (I'm a woman who believes Boy Scouts should have primarily male leaders in the direct contact positions).

To the OP - sometimes its nice to have a person who is willing to keep working with the Pack instead of forgetting that the Pack ever existed once their child is out of it. You say she is a Webelos Leader - that might make her a great resource for the Pack's Webelos to Scout transition team. Use her but make sure to include her and welcome her too.

YiS

Michelle

thanks for the info and i think some clarification is in order.

from the conversation - she doesnt want to do anything but go on the campouts. i could understand if she wanted to be a den leader - or some other contributing committee member (not just a named position where they show up for the fun stuff).

maybe this will help some.

JeffD - I apologize for misunderstanding what she wanted.

In that case, IMHO, if she (or anybody) wants to do the fun stuff they have to be willing to do the hard stuff too. Cub Scout camping should be for and about Cub Scout families...which can include leaders w/o current Cub aged boys....but it shouldn't be "general public" camping...

Again - I apologize for misunderstanding.

YiS

Michelle