Difficulty with parent participation

I have a question. I Have been having some problems with parental participation in the things that we are doing with the Tiger Den. The Tiger Den is our largest (7 Boys) and it seems like the parents are just taking the boys to have something to do.

Example

We are getting ready to have our pinewood derby in about a week and a half. I asked the parents to get what they need and if any of them needed any help in getting the cars. I have only had one parent give me money. It seems like the parents just want everything done and handed to them.

They are also the ones that asked to change the meetings from every week to every other week. When we did that, it made it harder to work on our achievments, and now we are having to rush to get things in at the last few weeks.

What do I do. I understand that there is a lot going on in peoples lives these days, but it should not be such a imposition to spend time with your children.

I mean it is so hard to live up to the motto of 'one hour a week'

Any advise????? Please Help.

SctDad,

I went back and reviewed all your posts. You've got a major muscle group challenge here... your Tiger parents do not seem to understand the BASIC PREMISE of Tiger Cubbing: 1/1 parent/kid participation!!

I've looked through for an indication of your own training, sadly I cannot find any (other than your current CM is BALOO qualified). Are you Fast Start, YP, NLE, and Specific for Tiger Cubs and Pack Service trained?

I would show all your Tiger parents this page:

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/parents/role.aspx

I'd also show this page:

http://www.scouting.org/Media/factsheets/02-502.aspx

and emphasize:

"The Tiger Cub, working with his adult partner, (emphasis added) completes 15 requirements within these areas to earn the Tiger Cub badge."

A DL can't be a partner to EACH Tiger in his den...

This is one thing I see in all the youth-serving activities I'm involved with: Drive-by parents, wanting the child out of their hair. Happens in HS band just as much as Cub Scouting :(

HTH(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

We stress at roundup and at the meetings that Tigers have to have an adult partner. We did have to make an exception this year. One of our Tigers is border line autistic. His dad normally brings him. When his mom stepped foot in the room he just kept saying you're not suppose to be here. As soon as she stepped out he calmed back down.

Above Tigers we have several parents that like the hour or so to theirselves, but wonder why they don't know what's going on. It's a never ending battle.