our pack is asking for $30 per new scout in pack dues. the parents then pay the BSA fee and boys life

re-chartering scouts pay no pack dues - but will be persuaded into participating in fund raising efforts :)

this is new for this year in our pack (we have never really had a big fund raising effort). we are hoping that parent realize the scouting year can be very very cheap if they "help the pack go"

they get PWD and a spring event (usually estes rockets) paid for. they also get a neckerchief @ crossover and new book at the first den meeting(This message has been edited by JeffD)

When we were involved with cubs we charged anywhere from $25 to $60 depending on the year and the pack. In the years where we charged less, the pack also paid for considerably less but set fundraising expectations higher. In the years where we charged more we paid for neckers, PWD cars, Boys Life, certain pack events, and part of day camp, and reduced fund raising expectations.

There are arguments to be made in favor, or opposed to, either decision. I know some packs who charge in the neighborhood of $100 in dues but never foist popcorn or other fundraisers on already-overstressed parents. Mom and Dad just write a big check once a year. This works reasonably well if you are in an affluent neighborhood. I know some packs who charge little, expect fundraising, and help coordinate fundraising efforts at the den or pack level rather than putting the burden on individual families (whose networks may not be helpful in terms of money). This works better in lower income or mixed income neighborhoods, IMO.

The pack I was last with charged $25.00 for new Scouts and $20.00 for returning Scouts. From that fee, they pack paid for re-charter, PWD cars, and neckerchiefs and slides for graduation. Popcorn sales helped with costs of awards and such.

ccjj

• 8 months later...

My son has just joined a pack where the dues ($50) pay for the recharter ($17), Boys Life, and the balance to the pack for unspecified items. No necker or books, just the awards from the pack (I think). The pack has been a slow starter in the past few years and has little to no fundraisers. We didn't even have the round up until late October or a pack meeting until November sigh). This pack has been up to 100 scouts when my oldest was a Cub with at least 3 dens per age level and is now down only one with no 2nd yr Webelos for the lsat 2 years. Still, I want my youngest to be in scouts as my oldest has really benefitted from the experience. A question - should I look to another pack in our area that does not have our school in it? Interestingly enough, our church is the COR and has no scouts in the pack.

Greetings!

Our Pack increased dues this year from $45 to $55 for all cubs. We also sell the popcorn and do other fundraisers such as selling chocolate bars (made by a local chocolatier, yum!) at various venues and run a concession stand at the District Pinewood Derby.

Dues and fundraising primarily cover registrations, rechartering, including the Boys Life subscriptions, awards (belt loops, activity pins, patches), some refreshments and miscellaneous supplies. It also covers some activities, such as Klondike Derby registration for the Webelos, most of the Blue and Gold expense, and Pinewood Derby cars for each Cub. Most Council sponsored special events and other special events (camp-ins at zoos and the like) are paid for by the parents.

Some of our Den Leaders assess den dues for supplies as needed.

YIS

Mike

Our pack does much the same thing, except it's a little higher (I think $100 total this year, discounted for multiple cubs in the same family). The pack builds in B&G banquet costs (it's one of those eye-rolling things for me, it's held at a pricey banquet facility that I really dislike), adult registration costs, and also a Friends of Scouting donation.

Sorry -- I should have pointed out that the pack doesn't do any other fundraisers. The $100/year is a one-shot deal for every family.

I don't particularly care for the system, so please don't expect me to defend it. :)

Guy

The pack my son is in has $80 dues. It is encouraged to split the payment in two. first payment Sept. second in Jan. It pays for recharter, boys life, end of year party, pack supplies, pack meeting supplies, adwards, pack tshirt. It is so high since we have not had great effort in fundrasier. since my son has been in scouts the last 3 years 3 scouts ever help support fundraiser. this year we have dues and we also had more of a fundraiser effort. I am thinking most parents now realize that 3 scouts can not carry a pack of 40.

I'm new here, so I'm not sure how much my answer is going to count, but I am the CC for our Pack.

Our Dues are 55.00 for new Scouts, and 50.00 for returning Scouts. Our Pack fees include their registration with BSA, insurance, Boys Life subscription is mandatory in our Pack for all Scouts, it also pays for their PWD car kits, Blue and Gold Luncheon fee, all awards and insignia except for starter insignia which is purchased by the parents and their books. We pay for their new neckerchiefs and slides when they move up at the end of the year, and sometimes their books if we have the money. We include a donation to FOS in our registration fees as well.

We are a small pack in that we are in the midst of trying to rebuild and revitalize our Pack after many years of same old , same old..so fundraising is a huge issue. This year's popcorn sales only saw less than half of the boys participating in any way, table sales or take home forms, and those same boys also did both....the rest seem to think that they don't have to fundraise, despite being clearly told otherwise...We historically have not had the parental support in the Committee or Pack meetings, so we are moving to change that, and it appears successfully at the moment.

I did find that the parents had never had the budget discussed with them, so they had no idea what it paid for, why it pays for what it does, how it benefits them and their sons to participate in fundraisers, etc. , and serve on Committees....so hopefully, after our last meeting, things will move in another direction.

We also pay for part of the overnight fees for two events per year for Scouts...and in the spring, we do a candy bar fundraiser for camp fees....

There are a few other things that I am sure that we are leaving off our list of stuff that we pay for with the registration fees, and if I think of them, I will come back and add them.

I know that other packs'in our area are anywhere between 120.00, and 0, but the ones with the 0 Pack dues are usually the ones that sold 13,000.00 worth of popcorn...

Wish that were us.

Pack 28 CC

Our Pack charges $85 for new Scouts and $75 for returning Scouts. This covers them throght the end of the program year (the reason for the $10 for new Scouts is that they are being chartered for 17 months). Dues covers registration, Boys Life, insurance, awards (nearly $40 per year per boy), basic supplies for dens, Den Leader fees, and some overhead capital costs. B&G, camping, derby kits are extra. We do a popcorn fundraiser where the boys get to keep 25% to pay for dues, camping etc. Also we have a scholarship fund available for families that have a hard time paying dues.