BS troop inviting Webelos to canoe?

Can a BS troop that is planning a overnight campout and some canoe training on a small lake, invite a webelos den(s) to join them for one night or for the day?

We have our own canoes and equipment, and some newer boys in our troop who are strong swimmers, but have really not had much experience in a canoe. This is a tiny lake (pond, really) shallow and calm, and we want to teach the boys paddling skills, how to manuver, steer through obstacles, how to right and empty a capsized canoe, etc. we were thinking of making it a water sports day, canoe tug of war, and obstacle course, a relay race, things like that.

We have a Den guide that wants to invite his webelos den along. I think it would be a great recruiting opportunity - What are the BSA guideline for webelos canoeing?

We have a number of "safe swim" and "Safety afloat" certified adults, a red cross lifeguard, and a number of boys who have their lifegaurding badge. I think what ever saftey certifications we might need would be covered.

But CAN webelos go canoeing?

what is the required adult /child ratio for webelos in such an event?

Thanks for your reply -

It is a flat water pond/ lake - no motor boats allowed - in a county conservation site - But we are not a council or district.

Still.... gives me some ideas, if not for this time, maybe a good district event for a day of water sports - with webelos and scouts - I'll have to mention it to our district people....

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. I just looked at the Guide to Safe Scouting. There is no prohibition against cubs boating, just follow the rules. See the GTSS, online at www.scouting.org/cgi/gss/viewall.pl. You want Chapter II, Aquatics Safety, part that begins with subtitle "Safety Afloat", and then numbered paras 1-8. (got to ask why National can't write a manual like a manual?).

There is a requirement that cubs boat at "approved council/district events". So, you'll need to have your activity approved as a district event -- or plan an event that would be a district event. However, it would not need to be at the council camp if a suitable location can be found elsewhere, see GTSS rules.

As for cub boating. As you review the GTSS, you'll find it aint' going to be easy! Cubs will have to be "swimmers" as defined. Non-swimmers will have to be in a boat with a certified lifeguard or lifesaver.

Finally, the GTSS notes at end of paragraph 7 that for Cubs you cannot do "trips" or "expeditions" nor boat on "running water", which is defined as rivers or streams. There is also a much more restrictive weather requirement (clear sky, no wind, warm air and water).

So GO FOR IT. Scouting is about OUTING.

Jim(This message has been edited by denver4und@aol.com)