Our Pack usually gives a token something. One year it was a small picture frame with a "thanks for volunteering" poem. Another year it was a portfolio (handy for leader meetings!). I don't remember whether the gifts have extended beyond leaders or not. Unless I'm mistaken we don't have a functioning committee. We may have included the treasurer, but that's it.

Even if it's just to recognize them at the banquet and give a hand-written thank you (maybe with a picture of the Pack if one is available), I'd do something.

The parents usually take up a collection and give something to the Cubmaster as well. This has been more substantial. I think last year it was a night away at a bed and breakfast in a touristy town nearby.

Personally I always prefer the hand-written "thank you" notes or just a verbal thanks, to stuff. For one thing I have too much "stuff" already and don't want more, but I feel bad about throwing things out that people have given me in sincerity. For another, more expensive items seem inappropriate to me. I don't volunteer to be rewarded with valuable items, all-expenses-paid vacations, etc. and I would actually be very uncomfortable being on the receiving end, knowing that the money could have been better spent elsewhere. But perhaps that's just me.

If you are looking for tangible items to use as thank yous, there are a host of very inexpensive types of things like the "Top Banana" award (a plastic banana with "tops" written on it), the Big Hand award (a foamy hand cut-out mounted on a good stiff piece of cardboard or wood), etc.. Somewhere I found a whole list of these online one time - try googling "adult leader awards" and the like. Cute, cheap, not guilt-inducing.

My Pack gave adult leaders and committee members token gifts; a refrigerator magnet. The CC also had a printed thank-you note that resemebled an Old West "Wanted" poster.

I felt more appreciated by the round of applause we all got, tho.

This year, we went to Walmart and got some cheap bowls. Printed out a Cub Scout logo and used some sort of craft glaze my wife has to affix the logo to the bottom of the bowl. She oven baked the glaze in to waterproof it. We put a thank you card and a packet of Cub Scout popcorn in it.

Every leader, CM, ACM, CC, treasurer, and a couple others got one. Total cost was about $20.00.

One year, we were real flush with cash so we got each leader and volunteer a Cub Scout logo insulated mug.

I like to give something kind of useful and since my den was doing them, I got to choose.

We give plaques to den leaders and certificates to committee members at the Pack Graduation in June. The plaques run about $10 each and the certificates are about $2. Total cost is about 60-70 dollars. May seem like a lot but we feel that the uniformed leaders are worth it.

raisinemright: "This year, we went to Walmart and got some cheap bowls. Printed out a Cub Scout logo and used some sort of craft glaze my wife has to affix the logo to the bottom of the bowl. She oven baked the glaze in to waterproof it. We put a thank you card and a packet of Cub Scout popcorn in it."

Could you get more specific on this project? This sounds like a craft project we could use. (Ask your wife if she minds typing it out if you're not sure)

What kind of bowls, glass or ceramic? What sort of glaze is it? I could go ask the staff at Hobby Lobby, but they can be very hard to find, especially when I have questions.

Sorry for the delay. Been out of town. My wife e-mailed me the following about the glaze.

Folk Art brand Outdoor gloss sealer - at Joann's in with the paint and One Stroke painting supplies, it comes in small bottles (usually 2 oz)

Paint on several coats of gloss, letting it dry in between. If the item is glass, after last coat of gloss is dry, put item in cold oven, turn to 350 degrees, set timer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn off oven but don't open the door. Let the oven cool down before taking item out.

We had the Bears do the first painting of the pieces. She did final coats and baked 'em.

I created some awards featuring a Norman Rockwell scouter image and we printed them off on 8x10 photo paper. Everyone was very happy to receive these. E-mail me off list and I'll be happy to e-mail you one.

aprildriggers@sbcglobal.net

• 3 weeks later...

I need some help filling in the blank areas. We want to add some humor, but not offend anyone.

CC - Lifesaver award - Lifesavors

2nd yr Webelos Leader - ?? late all the time, but might offend him - crossing over to BS

2nd yr Webelos Assist - Nuts about Scouting - has 1 in Cub and 1 in BS doesn't know if coming or going

1st yr Webelos Leader - extremely patient ??

Bear Leader - rope award - ties up loose ends and twirls hair when nervous

Bear Assist/Sect - Brain award - misspelled Cubmaster's name Brian

Wolf Leader - Hot Dog award - insisted hot dogs had to be grilled at Pinewood Derby, so he grilled all of them

Wolf Assist - just signed up, so WELCOME on a 2x4 - Welcome aboard

Tiger Leaders - HERO cookies for surviving the year with this energetic bunch