The Cubmaster and Den Leaders serve at the pleasure of the CC and the COR. If the CC is happy with the job that you son is doing, then he should be secure.

If a Den Leader is jockeying for a "higher" position, maybe he shouldn't be involved. Some consider that Den Leader is far more important than Cub Master because he has the most contact with the boys.

Forty years later, I still remember my Den Mother but couldn't tell you my CMs name if my life depended on it. I'm pretty sure that I never even knew his name.

• 1 month later...

I could start a new thread, but this seemed like a good spot to ask if there is any statute of limitations on receiving knots.

My former pack didn't put a lot of emphasis on it until near the end of my tenure. I also get a sense that some of my fellow ASM's think they're a little showy for adults to were. However, after recently completing my leader specific and outdoor training and preparing for Wood Badge in the fall, I'm thinking that I would like to put in for them if it's not too late.

Specifically, I'm pretty sure I'd qualify for the Tiger, Den, and Webelos Leader awards. Would I go back to the pack and submit them or go through my troop committee?

For the CUB SCOUT Leader Awards, each section, Tenure / Training / Performance, must be signed off by your PACK Committee Chair or Cubmaster - NOT the Troop Committee Chair.

You must have a separate year of tenure for each award.

Most of the Training requirements for each award must be must be fulfilled DURING the year of registered tenure for EACH award. That means that EACH year you must have attended a Pow Wow or 4 Roundtables.

In addition you must have taken Den Leader Position Specific training for each award level and, in order to receive the Webelos Den Leader Award, you must have also taken Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders (OWL, WLOT, or whatever combo of letters your council calls it) (NOT IOLS).

Unless the requirements have recently changed (quite possible), training for your position need not be completed during your tenure in the position for which you are applying for a knot.

Only attendance at Pow-Wow, U. of Scouting or RTs must be completed during your tenure of service in the position. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong . . .

That is why I stated "MOST" and not "ALL".

Fast Start, YP (which should be renewed periodicaly), and NLE, can all be done at any time. Even Position Specific, and OLSWL, can be done at any time, although MOST do it when they move to the specific level.

Although, I would have to say that the training would all have to be done either during, and/or before, the period of tenure for the specific award. If you did not take any training until your last year of Cubs I do not feel it would count toward being considered a trained Tiger Cub Leader.

Thanks all for the input. Since I haven't seen it elsewhere and no one here has mentioned it, I'm going to figure there is no reason I couldn't put if for awards now for a position I held a few years ago. That is assuming I properly completed all requirements and the current committee chair was willing to assist.

Your husband is wearing the Cubmaster patch that over 95% of the parents in the Pack will never think of wearing. They want everything for their sons but will not take the time, from their busy schedule, to help their own son. Your husband is taking the time and your son will be better for it. The other parents owe you and your spouse a great deal.

Yes, he needs the get the trained patch. Yes, Woodbadge should come.

But first he stepped forward to take a big job on. That is something most parents never do.

Hello David,

I'm not sure that your question has been explicitly answered. There is, to my best knowledge, no "statute of limitations" on training awards and whenever you document that you have met the requirements, you can receive the award.

There are some limitations on some other awards:

1) The most often encountered is that one cannot meet Eagle Scout requirements after age 18. Also, the Board of Review is to be held within 3 months after the boy's 18th birthday. Between 3 months and 6 months, an explanation from the Scout Executive is required for the delay. Longer than 6 months, permission from the National Council is needed. In some few cases, this permission has been granted several decades after the 18th birthday.

2) Wood Badge tickets must be completed within 18 months of completing the course. Additional time up to 6 months may be granted by the Scout Executive

3) National Court of Honor awards (Heroism Award, Honor Medal, Medal of Merit,) must be submitted within 6 months of the incident or action. Additional time requires a letter of explanation from the Scout Executive.

Absent some such explicit limitation, I would argue that there is no limitation.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry about knots on your shirt, as long as you are trained, as stated above and you do your best to put on a good program that's all that matters. There are several that are not just attendance or position knots but you have to go through specific training to get, for example, the Webelo's knot, to get you have to complete OWL training, which is 2 day long and includes spending the night, at least in our area, OWL is hands on and I thought well worth the 2 days. This knot means more to me due to the training required to be awarded it.

One thing I found that "dresses" up the uniform, in my district when attending the Round Table we get a patch, again it is really just for attending, you get one patch for every 2 meetings attended. I have that hanging on a pocket flap. Other pocket patches for things like camps, etc.

Remember we do this for the kids, so as long as you put on a good program you're good

ManyHats,

Tell your husband to stop worring about it. Yes, in my neck of the woods we have leaders with a chest full of knots but I promise that doesn't mean they are better leaders than those of us out in trenches.

I hate to say that because adult leader reconition is important but around here some of these guys are refered to as "Man Scouts". These are guys that jump into jobs, earn the award and move to the next job, whatever it is to start working on their next knot.

I have to confess that I have been presented several "knots" myself and many more I refused to sign the paperwork for as they are not important to me. I wear only one on my uniform and that is my red, white and blue knot which represents my Eagle award.

With that said, I would highly recommed your husband look at the requirements for these awards because IMHO the requirements for these awards should be the step by step for sucess of every leader to run a great unit.

Have fun and keep moving forward with the scouts in mind.

(This message has been edited by awesome1_in_cc)