I certainly agree that the punishment described for the prank calls is too excessive. Aside from the question of compliance with BSA regulations on rank and merit badges, what is the point of such severe punishment? A five hundred word essay is a lot, and probably proportional to offense, as described in the post. Have these kids been turned off on scouting? Are they still part of the troop? I wonder.

If you read my post, I said the the Scouts came up with their additional punishment. I as Scoutmaster said ok. BSA policy on Merit Badges says that a Merit Badge is earned when the Scoutmaster signs it. Also, that Scout Spirit has to be signed off by the Scoutmaster or the rank has not been earned. I feel that the Scout Spirit of these young men is not up to what it should be at this time. As for these young men being turned off Scouts, quite the contrary, they are more dedicated to the ideas of a good scout then before. I did have them write the essay, but better that, then send them home or lose my temper, which I did not. REMEMBER, we are building good citizens here.

Dancin

Mr Fox,

i appreciate if you could site your references on your 2 points.

In fact the Advancement Procedures Policyies and procedures says something quite different than what you site.

The MB is earned when the MB counselor signs it, and no where in a scout resource does it say the SM is the only person to sign scout spirit. Iin addition the Boyscout hasndbook gives the requirements for scout spirit and it refers only to living the oath and law in your everyday life.

Bob White

Gentlemen,

I believe a true man can admit when he is WRONG. I have given this issue much thought and agree with you. I will issue these scouts their advancement. Thank you for your imput. I do fell that we all need to follow the WHOLE Scouting program, not just parts.

In Scouting

Dancin