Earning Badge - upside down (the badge - not the kid)

One of the things our Pack does that I don't understand is when we award boys their rank, they use the parent's pin to pin it to the uniform but pin it upside down. When they do their next "good deed" then they can turn it right side up. It seems like, to me, that this process is putting an extra requirement on the boys that they don't have to do. Does anyone else do this?

Many, many years ago, when Bobcat was recognized with a round pin, the tradition was that it was pinned on upside down until you did your first good deed. I did something like opening the door for my mother and flipped it around.

Is it in the program? No. Does it cause harm? Nah. The boy has his badge, what's wrong with a little encouragement to do something nice.

We did this when I was Cubmaster. Before me they used to turn the kid upside down. That is against GTSS, so I dont suggest that

I don't see it as adding to the requirements as they have earned the badge and has been presented with it. Since Mom or Dad is going to sew it on, they can be the judge if he did or not do the good turn. Does it hurt to Do a good turn daily?

Our pack did this until this year. The reason that we are stopping is because of the pin use. The parents almost never did anything with the pin except toss it in a drawer and these things are not cheap. Actually...that brings me to the actual reason for ending it...for several boys the parents just left their rank pinned on with it. We even have one boy with ALL FOUR rank badges attached with parent pins! We are hopeful that by not providing this easy out it may get a few more badges properly attached.

current one does if he's reminded. I like it and don't see it as adding to the requirements. The boy gets the badge and nobody's going around quizzing him after it's sewn on whether he did a good deed first or not.

Edited to add that we don't give parent pins, we just use a safety pin.(This message has been edited by AnaMaria)

Our pack does this as well. We use a safety pin, so the expense isn't an issue.

We're asking the parent to sew on the patch, I think it's ok to ask the Scout to actually do something nice. Cub Scouts should be doing something nice to their parents' satisfaction on a pretty regular basis, anyway. I think of it more as an encouragement to do a good turn daily, and I don't really see it as adding to the requirements.

Our Pack only does the Bobcat rank upside down and we use safety pins.

I think the most important part of this is that it leads to adults telling the boys stories of how the same thing was done when they were a Cub Scout. I actually pulled my entire Tiger den aside at the den meeting before the Pack mtg they would get their Bobcat and told them the history, tradition, and the story of when I recieved my Bobcat. We sat in a circle and it was like a campfire story. It was a great connection for them.. and they actually could see me (their adult leader that is twice their size)as a young boy with a fresh blue uniform shirt back many moons ago... and how they are continuing on the tradition.

This opportunity to connect generations is too valuable to miss.

Our pack does it too. It has no logic or policy behind it. It is a tradition going back more than a generation, since whenever I object, the answer I get from the male leaders is, "That's how it was done when I was a kid."

Yes, it's adding to the requirements, yes I hate it BUT any display of good manners by a boy can be termed a "good deed" so it really becomes meaningless and I've learned to pick my battles.

Nope, not adding to requirements because the boy does not HAVE to do a good deed in order to earn the badge and have it awarded to him. He has already earned, and been awarded the badge.

This is simply a ceremonial way of reminding the Cubs that they have PROMISED to "Help other people".

How can that be a bad thing?