Belt Loops & Pins

Beagle

I see where you are coming from now. I was just bringing out the point that as leaders and parents, we should let the boys know that they will have to re-earn the award.

The BL's have three requirements. That is not very many. It makes for some effort required, but not so much as to discourage the boys.

Don't forget, there are other award that one can work for other than just the BL's. Outdoor activity, crime prevention, and things like that. Something that I have been working on with the summer months coming up soon, the LNT program. I am try ing to get the boys (Mostly Tigers and 1 Wolf) to understand the LNT and how we should treat the outdoors.

I look at all of the awards and programs when I try to plans meetings. But sometimes I have to just come up with creative ideas for crafts and just let the boys HAVE FUN, with a purpose of course.

Yep, read the fine print.

Belt Loops and Pins CAN be earned more than once, and the Pack does the Cub a diservice, I feel, if they can't award them when earned.

I have seen Cubs wear a belt over their shoulder, bandolier style, to accommodate all their BLs!

Now, although the Manual doesn't stipulate, I feel it is reasonable to limit the BL to once a year, but the Alpha Cub can do alot each year!

Frinstance: Tiger to Web 2: 5 years. Attend Cub Scout Day Camp each summer, earn the Archery BL automatically each year, at least 4 BLs (maybe the W2 bridges over and doesn't do CSDC the last year?). The Archery Pin takes a little more effort (at our CSDC, you come in at 6am and do all the extra stuff).

Same with each Sport. Cub can earn a BL each season. Learn alittle more each year, work up to the Sport Pin.

Just as I was talking about, here is a list of the belt loops that it asks for to be earned as a Webelos Scout

I understand that some of these may be sports that are grouped as optional, but these are a starting point.

Swimming

Art

Physical Fitness

Citizenship

Computers

Communicating

Math

Heritages

Geology

Wildlife Conservation

Language and Culture

Chess

Science

Weather

Astronomy

Music

Geography

Map and Compass

Hope this list helps

Goldwinger,

You learn lots from the BL. Because of growth and maturity each year, even in the sports, a boy will improve his game. Don't forget the Academic BLs. There is going to be a lot more learning going on as a Webelos then the boy got from doing a BL as a Wolf.

LisaBob said "In our pack the tradition was to acknowledge that the boy had re-earned a beltloop as part of earning his webelos pins, but we did not pay for the duplicate beltloop. Instead we used the small (and much cheaper) "rocker" segments that they could put on the red vests. This seemed to work well for all involved."

This is a super idea--if you are in a Council that uses rockers for activities and if they make them available for the Sports and Academic program. Unfortunately, not all councils use this program. My courrent council does not. My previous council did but not for the Academic/Sports program which was a lot younger at that time.

SctDad said "Don't forget, there are other award that one can work for other than just the BL's. Outdoor activity, crime prevention, and things like that. Something that I have been working on with the summer months coming up soon, the LNT program. I am try ing to get the boys (Mostly Tigers and 1 Wolf) to understand the LNT and how we should treat the outdoors."

Yes, we need to remember all the additional extras that all ages of CS can earn. Too many get ignored.

Each Pack is allowed to set their own guidelines on many aspects of the program, including the BL/Pin program. I believe that is so each unit can do what works for their area and situation. Many low income areas can not afford to buy the same belt loops over and over.

However, I don't think you are allowed to prevent a boy from earning a BL only once. You can set guidelines on how often a BL will be awarded. In our pack, this is part of the information given to parents when their son joins. We do have to frequently remind them of this, because they forget. But it is in writing, so they can't say they weren't given the information. We award a BL once unless he is earning it again as a Webelos. Because I feel that if something was repeated because it was required for the Activity Pin, the boy should get the recognition. This is my personal opinion and no Committee Member has objected to the policy. We do not let them wear extra BLs that don't fit on his belt around his waist. He has to decide which he will wear and which he will keep at home.

The Wolf Elective saying to earn one of the shooting BL has never been an issue because we have rarely had a Tiger attend DC. They mostly join in the fall so attend their first DC as a Wolf.

SSScout said that their boys go to DC early each day to earn the Archery Pin. That surprised me. I am courious as to why since at our DC we have(not every year, but some) had the boys earn the Archery Pin during regular DC hours. They get to shoot every day--both Archery and BB Guns. Maybe at SSScout's DC there are too many kids to shoot daily. I know my son never got to do that at DC.

Here is a complete list of belt loops and pins showing which Webelos activity pins they are associated with and whether they are optional or required:

Academics

---------

Art BL - Artist (optional)

Astronomy BL - Scientist (optional)

Chess BL - Scholar (optional)

Citizenship BL - Citizen (required)

Collecting BL - N/A

Communicating BL - Communicator (optional)

Computers BL - Communicator (optional)

Geography BL - Traveler (optional)

Geology BL - Geologist (optional)

Heritages BL - Family Member (optional)

Language and Culture BL - Scholar (optional)

Map and Compass BL - Traveler (optional)

Mathematics BL - Engineer (optional), Scholar (optional)

Music BL - Showman (optional)

Science BL - Scientist (required)

Weather BL - Scientist (optional)

Wildlife Conservation BL - Naturalist (optional)

Sports

------

Archery BL - N/A*

Badminton BL - Sportsman (optional)

Baseball BL - Sportsman (optional)

Basketball BL - Sportsman (optional)

BB Gun Shooting BL - N/A*

Bicycling BL - Sportsman (optional)

Bowling BL - Sportsman (optional)

Fishing BL - Sportsman (optional)

Flag Football BL - Sportsman (optional)

Golf BL - Sportsman (optional)

Gymnastics BL - Sportsman (optional)

Ice Skating BL - Sportsman (optional)

Marbles BL - Sportsman (optional)

Physical Fitness BL - Sportsman (optional)

Physical Fitness PIN - Athlete (optional)

Roller Skating BL - Sportsman (optional)

Snow Ski and Board Sports BL - Sportsman (optional)

Soccer BL - Sportsman (optional)

Softball BL - Sportsman (optional)

Swimming BL - Aquanaut (optional), Sportsman (optional)

Table Tennis BL - Sportsman (optional)

Tennis BL - Sportsman (optional)

Ultimate BL - Sportsman (optional)

Volleyball BL - Sportsman (optional)

* The Archery and BB Gun Shooting belt loops are not specifically listed as counting toward the Sportsman pin, but our pack gives credit for them.

Looking at it another way, here is a list of all the Webelos activity pins showing which belt loops and pins they are associated with and whether they are optional or required:

Physical Skills Group

---------------------

Aquanaut - Swimming BL (optional)

Athlete - Physical Fitness PIN (optional)

Fitness - N/A

Sportsman - 2 BLs for individual sports (required), 2 BLs for team sports (required)

- Individual sports include Badminton, Bicycling, Bowling, Fishing, Golf, Gymnastics, Ice Skating, Marbles, Physical Fitness, Roller Skating, Snow Ski and Board Sports, Swimming, Table Tennis, and Tennis.

- Team Sports include Baseball, Basketball, Flag Football, Soccer, Softball, Ultimate, and Volleyball.

- The Archery and BB Gun Shooting belt loops are not specifically listed as counting toward the Sportsman pin, but our pack gives credit for them.

Community Group

---------------

Citizen - Citizenship BL (required)

Communicator - Communicating BL (optional), Computers BL (optional)

Family Member - Heritages BL (optional)

Readyman - N/A

Outdoor Group

-------------

Forester - N/A

Geologist - Geology BL (optional)

Naturalist - Wildlife Conservation BL (optional)

Outdoorsman - N/A

Mental Skills Group

-------------------

Artist - Art BL (optional)

Scholar - Chess BL (optional), Language and Culture BL (optional), Mathematics BL (optional)

Showman - Music BL (optional)

Traveler - Geography BL (optional), Map and Compass BL (optional)

Technology Group

----------------

Craftsman - N/A

Engineer - Mathematics BL (optional)

Handyman - N/A

Scientist - Astronomy BL (optional), Weather BL (optional)

"This is a super idea--if you are in a Council that uses rockers for activities and if they make them available for the Sports and Academic program. Unfortunately, not all councils use this program."

There are several patch companies out there that you can purchase segment patches from. Welsh Industries has a good selection and you can mix and match.

"The Wolf Elective saying to earn one of the shooting BL has never been an issue because we have rarely had a Tiger attend DC. They mostly join in the fall so attend their first DC as a Wolf."

I am not sure I understand. A Tiger can not earn a Wolf Elective. It does not matter if he attends Day Camp or not. A boy must be a registered Wolf Cub Scout to earn a Wolf Elective.

A Tiger who joins in May/June after graduating from kindergarten, can attend Day Camp that first summer as a Tiger. He can NOT get credit for any Wolf Electives during camp however. Tiger Electives - Yes, Wolf Electives - No.

If a Tiger joins in September/October, while he is in 1st grade, at the end of 1st grade, or June 1st, he is no longer considered a Tiger. He graduates to a Wolf Cub Scout. If, as a Wolf Cub Scout, he attends Summer Camp that summer after 1st grade, and does Archery and/or BB's, he can count them toward his Sports Wolf Elective #20c or #20n. He can not be awarded an Elective Arrow Point until after he has earned his Wolf Rank Award, but he CAN work on Electives any time after becoming a Wolf.

Some councils also have various events during the year that include archery and/or BB's.

"SSScout said that their boys go to DC early each day to earn the Archery Pin. That surprised me. I am courious as to why since at our DC we have(not every year, but some) had the boys earn the Archery Pin during regular DC hours. They get to shoot every day--both Archery and BB Guns."

Every District, in every Council, runs their Day Camp differently.

At my District's Day Camp we only have archery, no BB's. Depending on when we can get a range officer, we might not be able to have it every day.

At one of the other Districts, they do not hold a traditional Day Camp at all. They hold various event/swimming days, with no shooting sports at all.

ScoutNut, I was afraid I had not made my comments clear. Let me try again. My original statement was

"The Wolf Elective saying to earn one of the shooting BL has never been an issue because we have rarely had a Tiger attend DC. They mostly join in the fall so attend their first DC as a Wolf."

"I am not sure I understand. A Tiger can not earn a Wolf Elective. It does not matter if he attends Day Camp or not. A boy must be a registered Wolf Cub Scout to earn a Wolf Elective.

A Tiger who joins in May/June after graduating from kindergarten, can attend Day Camp that first summer as a Tiger. He can NOT get credit for any Wolf Electives during camp however. Tiger Electives - Yes, Wolf Electives - No."

I was saying that my Pack rarely has any Tigers in June, so we don't send any Tigers to DC. Therefore there has never been an issue about Wolves 'having to receive a 2nd BL" because the Elective said he earned it. The only time I have known of flack about not receiving duplicate BLs is after parents find out that Webelos do receive a 2nd BL (our Pack policy because it was part of a requirement).

I was not saying that Tigers could earn Wolf Electives. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Thanks for explaining!

Of course, your Wolf Scouts could earn the shooting belt loops at their first Day Camp, apply them toward the Wolf elective, and then earn them again at Day Camp the following year as a Bear, and then again for a third year as a Webelos!

We don't sweat the extra belt loops. If the leaders send in the request, the Pack will purchase them. We have never had any one really abuse our "open loop" policy yet.

I am posting to this thread because it's the most recent and becasue for some reason, I'm unable to open a new thread... does anyone know how I can get a message to tech support? I've been trying to post a new thread for a week and keep getting this error message:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]

Line 1: Incorrect syntax near 's'. 

/forums/post_library.asp, line 91

• 1 month later...

There is no time limit for completing the requirements for a specific belt loop or pin except they have to be a cub scout when they earn them.

I think the boy should earn a belt loop once then move on to the pin, but I like having the boys earn it once as a younger scout (Tiger, Wolf, Bear) and then again as a Webelos. There is a big difference between how a Webelos completes a project and how a wolf does. For example, a wolf explaining the regulations for fishing wouldn't be quite as detailed as a Webelos. When my wolves demonstrated how to properly bait a hook I assisted them a little, but the webelos did it on their own.

I think it is wrong for a boy to earn one belt loop repeatedly and not anything else or at least move on to earning the pin. The whole purpose of this program is to help the boys to explore their world and to challenge themselves and to prepare them for earning boy scout merit badges.