Combined Pack Activities

Has anyone ever done activities that involve more than one pack, on something that is not a district or council activity.

We live in a small county and there are three small packs in our county. There is one that does not participate in many district activities and they tend to do their own thing. The other pack that I have made contact with seems to be very interested in combined activities. One of the leaders seems to want to get together and do things like camping trips and the such.

Has anyone tried this before. Is there anything that I should be aware of. Or is this a good idea, providing multiple leaders and training.

Just let me know.

I think combined activities are a great idea.

My pack hosted a smaller and newer pack at a family campout about two years ago. The smaller pack's leaders had the needed training, but didn't feel 100% confident about camping "on their own." The campout was a great success.

I'm looking to invite an inner-city pack that doesn't have much of an outdoor program on an outing or two in the spring when the weather warms up.

I can see some logistical benefits and challenges (food, transportation, independent tour permits), but it's nothing that can't be worked out with some careful planning. As long as no one winds up taking advantage of someone else's adult leadership, it should be a great opportunity of boys and adults.

On a semi-related note, we have our own PWD track and regularly share it with other packs, but we've never considered a combined event due to our pack's size.

Most councils would consider a planned activity involving more than one unit a district or council event. You pretty much want them to because your liabilty insurance does not extend past your own unit. I would recommend you talk to your local professional before you plan a multi-unit event.

With the planning that we would be doing, we would ask that both packs have their own Tour Permit, just to make sure that the insurance covers everybody. But that is something that I would have to take up with the DE just to make sure.

As for the PWD, we have small packs, so that shouldn't be an issue(This message has been edited by SctDad)

We have done a tri-pack "Chariot Race" for years. Boys build chariots out of cardboard boxes and pull them with ropes. Great fun and the boys get to compete against some else for a change. They love it!

Our webelos recently participated in a Klondike Derby with webelos from another pack. Although the Derby itself was a District event, our Pack organized a series of practice sessions and invited the webelos from the other pack to practice with us. It all worked out very well and our boys got to know boys that might be crossing over into our big brother troop, as they will.

YIS

Mike

The only thing I have combined with another pack on has been PWD because we have a track and they did not. It is easier when both packs are small, to have them come race with you then set up the track twice. I think doing things with another small pack would be a good idea and build relationships. This could benefit small packs, especially those that do not have a troop affiliated with it. And it would help your affiliated troops growth.

However, I have invited other Webelos Dens (from other packs) to join my Webelos for activities. I like to do this with packs that have only a few Webelos because it is sometimes harder for them to complete certain requirements. But I also doso because it is more FUN to do activities with a group.

I have had boys join my den to do Scientist (I do it all in a 1 day workshop) and Aquanuat (it's more fun with a group). I have never had any takers on the Webelos Only Campouts yet and had not considered the insurance issue. From now on, I will make sure the invited pack has insurance and will include them on the trip permit. See, even us experienced Scouters can learn from this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had success having joint activities when one of the packs is very large and the other is very small? I'm afraid that our small pack would be lost in the noise at events sponsored by the large pack, and the small pack doesn't really have the resources to host the large pack.