Pack Commitee and Politics????????????????

A series of questions, But a bit of background first. My son is a tiger in a very small pack, 15 boys total. The tigers make up half of that number. To put it mildly I was very dissatisfied with the program and leadership and as a result became involve. I help lead the tigers, but my title is assistant cub master, I am not sure why I was appointed that. I have attended all of the position specific training at the district level, attended the last Council Scout university, as well as, Baloo training.

I am on the Pack Committee but have some questions about how it should function. The last meeting I had proposed some meeting topics, field trips and had completed the research to answer any questions that could arise, along with tentative itinerary's for the field trips. I prepared packets with the information including the plan for the meeting prior to the trip. The Cub Master and I had corresponded by email about my work and he seemed enthusiastic about it.

The meeting came 5 committee members showed up. Each time I went to propose and idea one committee member said "I am not going to do that." With that the museum trip died, the earth day participation died, the fishing derby died. It was never voted on or any thing. Interestingly the Emails to the Cub Master have gone unanswered, and when I ask to speak with him after the meeting he disappears before I am done with the boys. I am not sure what I did wrong, if anything. I thought that I was thoroughly prepared.

So is it time to move on?

Hi and welcome.

Well what you describe could be "politics" of sorts (maybe there are some issues you didn't know about, and you inadvertently stepped in something nasty). OR it might be burn-out. Maybe some of these leaders see your list of "great ideas" as "more work" for them! Small packs in particular are prone to this because there are fewer adults to share the load. Even large packs often end up relying on a fairly small core of people to get things done, and that core tends to be 2-3 people in small packs. And maybe they've had people show up, propose a bunch of new stuff, and then drop all the work in their laps, in the past.

Not saying that the response you got was an appropriate one; in fact, it is rather sad. But understanding where they're coming from will help you regroup and re-focus more effectively for the next effort.

If tigers make up half the pack then you (tiger parents, not just you) have an opportunity to reshape things fairly dramatically and fairly quickly. Just step up, en masse, to become leaders. Then you'll find you have a lot more support for your great ideas. Also help recruit another enthusiastic group of new tigers for next year, and between your 7-8 wolf families and the 7-10 new tiger families, you'll be the overwhelming majority of the pack.

Good luck, keep thinking positive thoughts, and have fun with your Tiger Cub!

Thank you for your response.

As far as any additional work for the member protesting. It would mean none. To this point the CM and I have done the majority of the work. Not a complaint, I would not trade scouting experiences with my son for anything.

Lets face it I can take him and his buddy to the museum or fishing. I would like to do it in the context of scouting.

I have fond memories myself.

Why don't you just put the activities on the calendar as Tiger Den activities, since the Tigers are half of the pack anyway. You can put out word that the older boys are welcome to come as guests of the Tigers.

When the committee member said "I am not going to do that", did you ask him why??

DenZero is right, if you want to do an outing, ask one of the Tiger Teams to coordinate it as a Tiger den outing (you ARE using Shared Leadership as shown to you in training, right?). It does not have to be approved by the committee. Contact your Council office to find out their policy on when Local Tour Permits are needed. You might not need to file for in-area day trips.

Den Zero has my vote. Areeely small pack might operate as one Den, and go every where as a bunch, but you, Base, have got at least two Dens. Take the Tigers and their partners and "Go See It". Don't talk disparagingly of the other folks in the Pack, just set a good example. And when you come back to the Pack meeting and talk about the fun ya'll had, see if things don't change a little.

Good advice all.

We have been handing out patches and the pack/den meeting for events we have attended. Attendance at events has picked up including the two weeblos coming. The expressions of the boys who didn't go is kinda sad. We also email pictures to the entire pack of the event.

Poison words would certainly poison the experience for sure.

Far as why the I didn't ask why? I was not given an opportunity once he spoke the CM quickly moved on. An avoidance technique I imagine.

Well I imagine the Tigers will just have fun doing our thing and invite the others along.

My questions are:

How long have the other leaders been in the Unit? How active are the others Leaders in the group? I have noticed that some leaders are just plane out stubborned. They don't want to do anymore than they have to.

Did you bring your ideas to the table as "look what I have done" attitude or "I have some ideas I would like you to look at" attitude.

I really can't relate to your situation because my unit has the mentality to work with everybody and really consider ideas.

What is your current schedule look like? Are you over stuffed with activities as it is?

Did you get on somebody's bad side? Most packs are tight nit family's and if you get on one persons bad side you get on everybody's bad side.

Last but not least....... have you ever thought about going to a different unit or starting up a new one?