Requirements for Family Campout

The money is to pay for the food for the trip. I think that it is just easier then trying to have everyone prepare their own meals and stuff. Maybe next time we will have evryone prepare their own meals.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've done camping both ways. Families prepare their own meals, pack meals, and in between. We've actually been moving more towards pack meals because it seems to significantly increase attendance. We set a deadline for fees for every campout. If your not paid by then usually you can't camp, although we may make an exception if it is to cover site only. In all cases, if they attend and don't pay for the campout, they either need to ask for financial aid (or we offer if it is obvious) or pay their balance before they can attend another event. Last year we set a goal of each event paying for itself and it has been pretty successful so far.

So what i might be gathering is that we should set a deadline for the dues and registration for campouts and trips. Say 2 weeks in advance.

I think this would work and I might start doing this. sounds like it would make some people commit to a little more than just maybe's

and may make planning better.

Yep. Depending on the campout we usually make the deadline 2-4 weeks in advance. And while it does slightly reduce your last minute participants, it very much increases attendance. People are much less likely to not go to something they have already paid for rather than something they have not paid for yet.

I think that setting a deadline is a fine idea.

For our pack, we don't require a deadline. We just get an estimate from each family and buy food appropriately. It may depend on how many people normally come and how flexible you can be. We usually do only one pack meal and just ask for three dollars per person at the meal. If it doesn't come out exact, it's no big deal. We'll supplement with popcorn money.

Sctdad, you don't mention if your Pack has a BALOO-trained leader. A BALOO-trained leader is a requirement in order for a pack to go camping.

In BALOO, a leader will learn the nuts-and-bolts of planning a pack campout, but I must admit, I don't think it goes into great detail re: camping fees.

Yes we have a BALOO trained person going, the CM is BALOO. He has let me do most of the planning due to the fact that I will be taking over as CM next year (Probably this fall) and he wants me to learn.

I already have all the paperwork approved by the council, so everything is in line with the regs. I have also already checked on campsite inspections, they are not needed since this is a city nature center and it is consistantly inspected by the council.

Being Cubmaster and being the BALOO trained leader have absolutely nothing to do with one another. Just because you will be taking on the CM position does not make you automatically BALOO trained.

The BALOO trained leader is the one who is supposed to be planning and running the campout. That is what the training is for. Many of the questions you have had about the campout are covered in BALOO training.

You need at least 1 other (perferably 2 or more) person in your Pack to take the BALOO training. If not, when this CM leaves, your Pack will not be able to do Pack campouts.

I ubderstand that being CM and BALOO training are not the same. It is just that my district has not had BALOO for me to take this year. I do plan on taking it as soon as it becomes available.

I was simply stating that the CM is letting me plan this trip and he is there if I run across any problems.

The problem is that since you are not trained you are not the one who should be planning this trip - Your Cubmaster should be. What ever his excuse or problems might be, it is not right to "let you plan the trip" when HE is the one who is trained and SHOULD be doing it.

BTW - BALOO training is a National training. You will get the same training where ever you take it. You do not have to take it in District, or even in Council.

Just take it ASAP.

ScoutNut, I have to disagree with you:

"BTW - BALOO training is a National training. You will get the same training where ever you take it. You do not have to take it in District, or even in Council."

In our council, BALOO training consisted of how to fill out a trip permit, making a hobo meal and listening to a guest speaker talk about camping with Boy Scouts in a primitive site where you had to pack out your own poop. I hope that this isn't the National standard syllabus.

Nothing I've seen in BALOO material I received covered the logistics of planning a campout, the advantages/disadvantages of communal meals, etc..

Best bet - go to roundtable & ask around. Call your Roundtable Commissioner a week or two in advance of the next meeting & see if he can hook you up with some pack leaders who put on a good campout. Roundtable's also a good place to get advice on scouts/families that only show up for events, but otherwise don't participate.

NC

There is a national syllabus, but I am not going to say that all districts/councils follow it. We do talk about the requirements that our council has, but if you come from a different council, we just say that you may want to check with your council , It only focuses on taking your cub scout pack outdoors and activities for a cub pack to do in a safe manner. I've had conversations during the lunch prep about pack cooking vs family cooking, We have a assortment of different styles with our packs. I prefer den cooking. that way if one family does not have cooking gear, they dont feel left out, but takes away the headache of trying to get 120 people fed

Our schedule does talk about planning, but nothing about primitive camping. We would have a hard time getting some of the parents to do that :). Anway, save that for boy scouts

60 0700 0800 Setup

Registration

Gathering Activity

15 0800 0815 Opening Assembly

25 0815 0840 Aims and Purposes

45 0840 0925 Planning

15 0925 0940 Break

30 0940 1010 Lunch Prep

45 1010 1055 Equipment

15 1100 1115 Campfire Planning

30 1115 1145 Lunch (quick break)

15 1145 1200 Campfire

45 1200 1245 Health and Safety

45 1245 1330 Program

15 1330 1345 Break

10 1350 1400 Round Robin,

Intro and travel

20 1400 1420 Round Robin, Session 1 Fire Safety, Stoves, Lanterns

20 1425 1445 Round Robin, Session 2 First Aid & Sanitation

20 1450 1510 Round Robin, Session 3 Nature Hikes & Games

20 1515 1535 Round Robin, Session 4 Cub Scout Cooking

10 1540 1550 Wrap Up

10 1550 1600 Recognition

Thank you all for your input. Even though we are getting off track. I have been looking at the council site and asking about BALOO training.

Anyway. I have things planned. Everything is set and ready to go. I have my tour permits, no inspection needed because it is an approved council site.

I was just looking for some help with parents who make no contact for 2 1/2 months and when we do get to talk to them they are about going caming and not the meetings.

Anyway on that subject, I tried calling the parent today in reference to getting the money for the food. No contact. I left a message. I can pretty much plan on not hearing from her, she has never returned a call. I have put my effort foward. Is there anything else I should do? I cannot spend the last two days trying to track her down when we have things to do for this trip and I have stuff to do for the house.

I am just afraid that if I do not HUNT her down, she will blame me if they do not go.

Any Help???

Let her blame you if it comes to that. You, and probably everybody else, will know that's just silliness. You've done what you could to contact her and she did not follow through. Oh well. And don't be surprised if you lose this scout over the summer - by them not coming to meetings and not returning calls they are signaling (pretty clearly) that they aren't interested in the program.

About the only thing I'd suggest is to make sure you have enough food on hand that if a couple of unexpected "guests" show up, nobody goes hungry. I'm kind of doubtful this parent will bother to attend based on what you wrote, but who knows who else a family might drag along at the last minute. It happens.

Have fun this weekend.

If I had enough food for her and her family, I'd let her eat. If I did not then I would send her down the to the street. You have been very accomodating, probably to much so, and she has not respected your time or efforts. So what if she blames you, your not her personal concierge.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but this touches a nerve with me right now