Requirements for Family Campout

Does anyone here have requirements that the Cubs must do in order to go on campouts. IE Must attend 2 meetings prior to campout for the right materials and planning.

I have one Cub that has not been to a meeting since december and I told his mother about the Campout today. I kinda wish I hadn't, because he has missed 4 meetings and the B&G. She said that she had this problem or that problem for the last two meetings, but I am not too sure.

Any Advise

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its possible your pack has its own attendance requirements, but National does not impose any such requirement on a Cub Scout to go camping.

And I'm not sure why you want the boy to learn about materials and planning -- Cub camping is family camping. Its up to mom and dad to bring the right food and gear.

The pack leadership will do most of the planning, like where and when to go, activities during the campout, etc. In order to go pack camping, you need a BALOO-trained adult. He or she will be able to plan the campout and should be able to answer your questions.

I've been BALOO-trained myself, and I have also been a BALOO trainer, and I can tell you there's nothing in the BALOO syllabus about a minimum attendance requirement in order for a Cub to qualify to go camping.

My question is, should the Cubs have to come and attend the meeting prior to the Campout. I do not want him just showing up for the camping and not for the other stuff

The reason why I am asking is that, he has not been to a meeting since DEC. It is very hard to get up with his mother, seems like she is dodging calls. I talked to her as I made it a point to stop by her house and drop off the paperwork.

Not too mention this is the cub that one of the other parents bought a uniform shirt, asked me to get the stuff put on it, and let this cub useit during his time in Cub Scouts. We gave it to the mother with the understanding that if he wanted to leave scouts then we needed the shirt back.

I can only try so much to keep him in. I think my numbers of starting the year with 7, and still having 6, not counting this other boy, is pretty good for the Tiger Cubs.

I'm not sure what you are refering to. Do you have an informational meeting? Are you refering to activities other than actually sleeping in a tent?

Cub Scout camping is meant to be family camping with an emphasis on fun. There can be activities to teach them about things, but with the exception of Webelos, the emphasis shouldn't be on informational meetings and requirements. Cub camping is meant to keep them interested and let them have a taste of what is coming up in Boy Scouts. It should be focused on short hikes, games, some book requirements, campfire program and smores. The parents are responsible for equipment and setup. The Activities Committee is responsible for planning the campout.

Now your pack MAY have a requirement for a parent to attend an informational meeting. Depending on the campout, this may not be a bad idea. It sounds to me that you have more of a parent issue than a campout issue.(This message has been edited by Pack212Scouter)

I would say that the fact that they want to come camping is a sign that they don't want to give up on Scouts. IMO, as long as they don't give up on Scouting, Scouting shouldn't give up on them. I know that there may be attendance or participation requirements at the Boy Scout level, but at Cub level, any way to keep them involved is good.

NOW, that said, if you require that parents chip in to cover the cost of camping, or if you use your fundraisers to cover that cost and they don't contribute in a financial sense, that could be a different story, but you need to have a consistent policy on that. For example, our pack uses pack dues to cover camping costs, so if they paid the dues, they are in.

ALSO, once you get this boy and a parent on the camping trip, it may be a good idea to take the parent aside and discuss with them the reasons for their lack of participation. See what can be done about it and point out what the boy needs to do to advance...of course he may be doing advancement requirements on his own, but his den leader needs to be informed so that the boy's name can be submitted for advancement. But I'd say that this camping trip is the perfect opportunity to re-recruit the boy and his family and get them more involved.

Even if this boy has not been to a meeting since December, why would you want to punish him for it by refusing to allow him to camp with the Pack?

Cub Scouts is, or should be, EXTREMELY flexible. We should not be setting the boys up for failure. The Motto is "Do Your Best". That "best" will be different for every boy.

I once had a Tiger who was only able to attend a few meetings over the year. He had a slightly better record for outings because they were at a different time/day than the regular meetings. I never excluded him because of his lack of attendance. He has some problems, and is not the easiest kid to work with, but he is basically a good kid and the Scouting program is good for him. Every time he and his dad were able to make it to a den or Pack activity (including camping!) I would welcome them warmly. He is now a 4th grade Webelos and still chugging along!

Maybe the campout will encourage him to continue.

Now, if the parents show up without food, tents or sleeping bags because they haven't been paying attention that could cause a problem. But that can be solved with a credit card and the nearest WalMart.

OK. I see what everyone is saying. If he does come I will try to get him back into all of the activities. That is what I had been thinking, but I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

Another issue that I have is one of being able to contact the parent. I tried for two weeks to call her and no calls were returned. I was passing her neighborhood the other day and stopped in and finally got to talk to her. If this is what it is going to be like again this week, I fear that I may not be able to get the money for the campout. We are doing $10 a person, being that we have no stored funds, and we still have to buy food for the weekend. If I cannot get up with her I do not know how many to plan on. She didn't know if her husband was working that weekend. If he is then they are going to bring 4 people, whereas if he has it off then they will only be bringing 2. That is if they are even coming. All of that can be crucial to the meal planning.

I am not trying to drive them away, I just wish I could get a call back so I know how to make the plans. I think that if she is planning on attending, then she should let us know.

If she lets us know, then we can plan to accomidate everyone.

Does anyone else see my dillema???

I think we see your dilemma, but there are certain things that must happen in order to have a successful outing. One of those is to set a firm deadline for RSVP and money submission. Our troop says "we need to know by the Monday meeting prior to the weekend outing." THis gives the food person four days to buy the food based on a firm number. Those who back out after the deadline do not get a refund.

Yes, try to keep the lad involved, but it has to be a two way street and the parents need to do their part, or it won't work. If they won't make themselves available to receive communications, then there's not much you can do.

If you want to play, the first step is to show up.

You should have had permission and reservation forms sent out a while back (in person at den & Pack meetings, e-mail, and snail mail) with a hard cut-off date of at LEAST 1 week (perferably 2 wks so you can send out a packing/equipment list and activity schedule) before the campout.

It should be plainly stated in the original notices that anyone who does not turn in forms and money by the cut off either can not attend at all, or can only attend during the day & must bring their own food (depending on the facilities you have & the activities you will be doing).

I think I get what you're saying: you have a Cub who wants to do the "fun" stuff, but not do any work for it.

I guess I still don't see the problem with that. If the Cub wants to go camping and nothing else, his "punishment" (if you want to call it that) is that he doesn't advance, earn BLs, etc. When he sees or hears all of his buddies moving along, perhaps he will be motivated to do the same.

But keeping him away from a fun activity like camping isn't my idea of the best way to motivate him to advance. That's really his parents' problem, not yours, because they are Akela (at least until he gets to Webelos).

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it -- you did the best you could do. If they show up unprepared, too bad -- they'll learn to pay more attention next time.

OK I can see what everyone is trying to say.

Here is one question that I have though. What do I say if the parent does not pay what is needed or give me an accurate count of how many they are bringing. EX: They don't contribute any money, then show up with her and all three of the kids.

That is going to throw a big wrench into the works.

What do I do then?????

If the money is supposed to pay for a campsite, tell them they don't have a campsite since they didn't pay up-front, or send them to the park ranger to work out their own arrangements.

If the money is supposed to pay for a meal, you could ask them to pay up when they show up, or if you don't have enough food to go around, point them to the nearest McDonald's, etc.

But in the packs I've been involved in, the families were expected to bring and prepare their own meals -- the pack didn't do any cooking for the entire group.

So what exactly is the money for?