pack dues at recharter?

we recharter in the spring march/april and have collected everything at this time (bsa fee/boys life/pack dues)

someone suggested collecting bsa/boys life at recharter then pack fees when the scouting/school year starts.

what does your pack do?

This is the first year my son's pack has collected any pack dues. They collect the dues monthly along with anything else. the dues basically cover awards. We should have rechartered in December, but have not yet and are still chasing people down for their fees. If we survive this year, we will be making some changes for next. (I hope)

As a single parent, I would like the option of spreading out my fees.

at re-charter. That's now Jan 1 for us. I think we're charging $45/yr (includes Boy's Life) for new guys and $5 or $10 less for renewals.

We don't have any additional Pack fees. The dens I've been involved in have not collected any monthly dues.

Ditto to Bob White's procedure. You pay for prorated BSA registration and Boy's Life when you join. Optional to buy a handbook from us, ends up being around $15.

After that we budget for recharter fees, new handbooks, neckerchiefs and everything else we need to run the pack. We raise enough in popcorn to cover $115 per Scout per year. Parents only pay if they don't fundraise enough to cover that amount. 90% of our boys manage to cover their portion. Parents have the option of monthly installments of $10 a month.

Our Pack charges an annual dues of $60 in at the fall roundup. Out of this we cover charter for new boys, recharter in January, awards for the year, Boys Life, Den Leader books, and some basic supplies for dens. If the boy joins after September we prorate the Pack portion. If the boy joins after January we prorate the Council portion also. Boy can ue their Scout account (money from popcorn sales, etc.) to pay for membership dues. If next year's are paid by April they get a $10 discount.

• 2 weeks later...

Annual dues at recharter, $45. In addition to Boy's Life, it also covers next year's handbook and neckerchief. We don't have weekly or monthly dues, but I sort of wish we did. Of course, my idea of what scouting looks like is shaped by Follow Me, Boys, and may not be accurate in this day and age.

Charging an annual fee would not work in our area. We have a lot of single parent families and low income families. So if you are going to try doing this type thing, make sure the area you draw your boys from is not low income. We have trouble just getting everyone to pay monthly dues.

I sure wish we could collect all our money from popcorn. This year we did really well on popcorn and then have over $800 still owed the pack. And popcorn sales ended in Nov! We also have a number of families that just will not participate in sales.

We collected fees at the beginning of the school year. The council office would prorate for the new kids, the rest would be due in at recharter time and the Pack kept the money in the treasury until then. Too much of a hassle for our feeble brains to figure out prorating.

Popcorn sales were always very successful, so no pack dues were ever collected. Nor were there any extra costs. As I recall, registration plus Boy's Life was about $21 at that time.(This message has been edited by molscouter)