So the requirements for the Art Loop go like this:

REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ART ACADEMICS BELT LOOP

Complete these three requirements:

1. Make a list of common materials used to create visual art compositions.

2. Demonstrate how six of the following elements of design are used in a drawing: lines, circles, dots, shapes, colors, patterns, textures, space, balance, or perspective.

3. Identify the three primary colors and the three secondary colors that can be made by mixing them. Show how this is done using paints or markers. Use the primary and secondary colors to create a painting.

So anyone want to tell me what #1 means in layman's terms -- I'm not an artsy-fartsy person... creative? Yes. Artsy? No. I have no idea what that means.

For #2 is this just any drawing in general?

How have any of you helped your scouts earn this loop?

I think that you may be on the right track for the belt loop. I think they mean how do people use art to show things. Computer graphics, hand drawn, things like that.

Just a word to the wise. If the Cubs are not Webelos, you might want to wait. If I remember correctly, the Art Belt loop is something that they need to earn as a Webelos Scout. I aksed my DE and they said that it is best earned then

The art belt loop is one option to use toward the webelos artist pin; however, the belt loop is not a required element of that pin, and the pin itself is also not required. Additionally, boys can also re-earn the belt loops as webelos (though your pack may not wish to re-award the actual metal loop since they get expensive and after all, at the webelos level the boys are focused more on those webelos pins than the loops anyway). And of course not all cubs are going to stay with the program through webelos.

So go for it! They can always come back and do a more advanced version of the loop later if they wish to!

As for #2 - we had the boys look at pictures of some famous paintings of various types to identify how fairly basic shapes were used to create more complex scenes. Then we set them to giving it a try. Several of them seemed to especially enjoy a more abstract style. And since drawing stick figures is a challenge for me, I managed to get the boys' school art teacher to come in and lend a hand with this one. Or maybe you have a more art-focused parent in your group - doesn't always have to be you!

Have fun, good luck with it.

Well, there's art and there's ART...

I always thought a master carpenter or mason created art...

I think Req. #1 means to think about materials and tools: Clay, paint, marble, paper, pencils, charcoal, glue, magazine pictures (think collage), cloth, crayons, chalk, speedball pen nibs, brushes, tile, dirt...etc. etc. usw.... are there any limits? Anything that cannot be used? Think Christo...

And I second Lisabob. Go to the library and find some books of pictures by the masters, Durer, DaVinci, Heinrich Kley,even Rockwell.

Look for the "Golden Rectangle" and other shapes in the overall composition.

Have fun.