Suggestions for Arrow of Light scout outing requirement?

I have to Webelos trying to finish their Arrow of Light badges, and their last requirement is the attendance at an indoor and outdoor scout event. We went to a Court of Honor for the indoor one, but there just aren't any outdoor oriented activities that I can find.

Does anyone have any ideas for things we could do? I've got about 4 weeks to find something.

Just guessing here, but I'm betting you don't have a "big brother" troop connected to the same CO, or feeder troop, one where your Webelos traditionally bridge over to. We are in the same boat. These would be your first place to look.

Next place to look is at Council or District events. At our district Spring Camporee, Webelos can attend during the day, and if they secure their own campsite and appropriately trained leaders, can camp overnight. We have a troop that hosts a Webelos Activity Pin college, most of which takes place out of doors.

Next, ask your DE. CS-BS events help bridge the gap, keep younger boys interested, which helps with youth retention. DE's like retention, it helps them keep their jobs. So it would be in his best interest to see your boys bridge over smoothly to the next level. He should get you in contact with a nearby troop who's future is dependent on Webelos moving up.

I know these are vague ideas, but I don't know specifics about what your Council/District or nearby troops offer.

I cannot imagine that any troop would not welcome a webelos and his supervising parent of course on any campout. Of course if the troops your talking to are not camping then they are not the sort of troop one should be joining. We had 3 prospects on our trip last month and expect more this month. Unless the troop has just too many members WEBELOS crossing over is a major recruiting tool.

Here in NC, we have a OA sponsored Webelos weekend. They provide the activities, the scouts must provide the camping supplies and food. The cost is just $5. and if the Webelos want, they can have the OA will be doing a crossing over ceremony there for free and cross the webelos into their new troop.

Maybe talk to the OA in your area.

We also have a Council wide Webelos Woods program(but it's not OA here) every year in the late summer early fall at our Council Main Camp. Last year we "hosted" for two large Packs - each one larger than our Troop.Check with your Council to see if there is something similar for your Pack for next year.

But if you have Webelos who need to camp - and might be looking for a Troop - ours would consider having a special overnighter (since you only need one night). Lots of Troops would probably be willing to do what it took to help you out in this issue. If you have an associated Troop and they aren't helping you it might be time for a cup of coffee with their SM.

If you'll put up a general location - one of us might even PM you to set one up.

I'm in SW Missouri.

.the Webelos can't camp in tents under 40 deg. F though cabins would be fine.

I too have not seen this in writing. Elyria, this is probably a local rule (and not necessarily even a bad one, but just FYI).

But let's stay focused. A boy does NOT HAVE TO CAMP in order to earn AOL. He does, however, need to visit a boy scout oriented outdoor event. "Boy scout oriented outdoor event" is not defined in the webelos book so there is considerable latitude in terms of what a den leader may accept. Just last weekend our troop did a "winter survival" camp out and invited quite a few webelos out for the daytime. All you need to do, cineburk, is contact local troops, find out what they have coming up, and ask to visit for the afternoon/day/weekend.

Unless you know there is a district event coming up very soon, do not wait for that - it could be months! Your DE can help you get contact info for local troops, but he or she probably has no idea what the troops are up to this month - so ask them directly instead.

Edited to add: in a pinch, I have heard of some webelos visiting a troop meeting where the troop did some dutch oven cooking outdoors as their "outdoor event." If none of the troops have anything appropriate in the works for the next couple of weeks I suppose you could ask whether they would be willing to do an outdoor cooking activity for your webelos to attend.

(This message has been edited by lisabob)

Greetings Cineburk,

Maybe too late but

Dont know what neck of the woods youre from (my plug for the usefulness of profiles) but here in New England we have a lot of Klondike Derbies going on about now.

These are troop events but Webelos can participate. It takes some prep work to participate on your own (you need a sled for one thing) but you probably could find a troop that would let you tag along as a good turn to potential recruits. There can be camping involved but the actual event takes place over the course of one day.

YIS

Mike

I agree with Lisabob.

"A boy does NOT HAVE TO CAMP in order to earn AOL. He does, however, need to visit a boy scout oriented outdoor event. "Boy scout oriented outdoor event" is not defined in the webelos book so there is considerable latitude in terms of what a den leader may accept."

Any outdoor event is acceptable as long as it is done with a bonafied troop. My Webelos have several times participated in an annual outdoor service project in our community where we work to clean up a local river (and its tributaries). We go with the Troop and help clean up a local park that is next to the river.

I think someone mentioned a troop setting up an outdoor activity during a troop meeting. This could easily be done and most troops want to recruit Webelos and should be willing to set something up. This would not, however be able to do double duty and count as both a troop meeting visit and an outdoor activity with a troop.