Blue and Gold Success

Well we had our B&G ceremony Last night. Things were pretty good for the most part. We had one out of the three guests show up. It was the mayor. But he had to leave early because of another commitment. Oh well. The Sheriff could not make it because of a telephone emergency at the dispatch center. The other called me last week and let me know.

Other than that everything went pretty well. The Pot Luck style dinner was good, there were a lot of good eats. The Cubs enjoyed themselves. The parents liked the show. The only real disadvantage is that we will be eating baked mac & cheese for about a week.

I thnk things went well.

Anyone else have any luck with their B&G

Hi SctDad

Glad to hear your Blue & Gold was a success.

We held ours back on February 10 and Im happy to report ours was very successful as well.

I had written on another thread that we were using the Chinese New Year theme. We had Chinese food delivered (they gave us more than we ordered so we had plenty for folks to take away). There were also theme decorations and activities.

The boys put on some great skits; one brave scout even came on stage in his boxers for one skit. We leaders even took turns telling corny jokes.

We did award presentations. The awards were given in decorated Chinese take-out containers. Leaders were recognized for their work. Six boys received their Arrow of Light and we incorporated the Webelos Is into the ceremony, kinda passing the torch. Our Committee Chairperson also received her Wood Badge beads in a nice ceremony.

The highlight of the evening was a Chinese Lion Dance performed by a local Kung Fu academy. After the Lion Dance some members of the Academy demonstrated various training exercises. They had one little boy using a sword that was pretty neat.

We had about 118 people attend, scouts and their families. How many people attended yours? The reason I ask is that we had talked about a pot luck dinner but figured that to cook for such a large crowd would be time and cost prohibitive so it was just as easy and cost about the same to arrange for the food from the outside.

Wish we had thought about inviting the Mayor! We have just gone from a town form of government (Board of Selectmen and Town Meeting) to a Mayor and City Council (though we still refer to ourselves as a town) and it would have been nice to have the new Mayor in attendance.

YIS

Mike

Mike

I like your idea of the Chinese New Year and how you did your stuff.

We also went through and got some donations from Wal-Mart and I was able get some door prizes for the boys. I was expecting 10, but I think I may have lost one. So I had one things left over. The Cubmaster was looking at the insulated coffee mug and made a comment that it was nice. So since no boy picked it, I gave it to him. I thought that would have been better than trying to save it for later.

I would say that we had about 35 people there. We are a small pack and we are trying to rebuild our ranks. The potluck thing worked out pretty good. I think to make things a little easier, next year we might try something like the Golden Corral. Let them cook and clean. Not to mention there will be plenty for all to choose from.

SOunds like yours was a great success too. I do not know how we would have fit everyone in if we had that many. I know that there would not have been enough seats.

Anyway here is to another year, and hopefully things start picking up.(This message has been edited by SctDad)

I wish you well in the coming year.

Im happy our B&G went well but then I think how are we going to top that next year?

Were going to lose three active leaders and their spouses at cross over this year, maybe four if our Chairperson decides to cross over with her son, so I hope we can get some folks to step up to the plate and keep the positive momentum going. Keeping my fingers crossed!

YIS

Mike

Our Blue & Gold was yesterday. We had expected 80 people, had about 65 show up. That's not bad for a Pack with just 18 boys. We did a Wild West Theme w/ parents bringing potluck dishes based on that idea. As always, our Guys Cake Bake was a big success...the fan favorite award went to the "Buffalo Chip" cake LOL.

We had Bull Roping (wooden bull), handed out awards, the Den Chiefs did a Skit, the boys shared stories, etc. We also presented rank to our Tigers (with our Painted Tiger Ceremony) and to our Webelos I's (Way of the Webelos). We were originally going to do an Arrow of Light for our single Webelos II, but he (and his whole family) have been sick with the flu. So, that's been rescheduled to next week.

Glad to hear others' success stories.

YiS

Michelle

OK, I give up. What is 'Way of the Webelos'? I did a search and didn't find it. Always looking for something to spice up our ceremonies.

We had an Old West B&G planned for this past Friday, but we had a snow day at school and we use the school Auditeria (hybrid auditorium and cafeteria). Now we have to merge our B&G with our Arrow of Light in mid-March. We have some games planned by our Webelos II scouts with a Western theme. The only one I have heard about, so far, is Cemetery golf in the Boot Hill Cemetery. I also borrowed the Lasso Pencil Holder for a craft station for the boys. During setup between awards and the games, I am going to do a mini-magic show related to ropes (loose rope/stiff rope, cut scout in half with rope, and disappearing bandana/banana). This will get the parents out of their seats to participate in the games/craft stations. We hope to have some fun with it.