service hours for higher ranks

For the past 6 months or more, our troop has been discussing the possibility of requiring boys with Star rank to earn their 6 hours of service time required for the Like rank using a sort of mini-Eagle-type of project. This would mean that a boy would need to recognize a service need, propose in writing a method of meeting that need, and after receiving scoutmaster approval either by himself or by organizing several other boys carry out the proposal. Afterward, the boy must present the completed project for final approval. The idea behind this is to prepare the boy for the more detailed work required for his Eagle project. My questions are:

Is this an allowable and acceptable requirement modification?

Has anyone else done this, or something like this? Does it work well?

What are y'all's thoughts on this?

I agree with quixote. The troop should be provided enough opportunities for the scout to comply with the requirement. I think the idea is to make it seem second nature for a scout to be envolved in the community. To want to pitch in whenever possible. This idea seems to make it harder for him. The Eagle service project should be significant as far as how much thought and planning goes into it. It doesn't have to cost a fortune or anything for that matter. But it should be an experience the scout will carry with him for a long time. The Life requirement just makes sure that the scout is putting in the time in service to others.

I was hoping that you more-experienced scouters would enlighten me, and I thank you sincerely. This is what I suspected, but I have no real knowledge of details like this. I am still awaiting training as a committee member, after having been a Den leader for 3 years. Where can I find such information as you have shared? I suspect that a "newbie" telling the scoutmaster and his assistants (most of them Eagles, which somewhat intimidates me) will not be as effective as something official - like policies...?

As I'm sure the other leaders will tell you, there is no documentation telling leaders how they can "add" to the requirements. The requirements are to be completed as listed. All of the training programs inform you that you have no authority to make changes and/or additions to the requirements (under regular circumstances). If you are looking for "that" documentation, find out who is on your District or Council Training Staff. If you are concerned about confronting these Scouters, don't be. They may be Eagles, but have they been trained as adult leaders. If they have, they know that they are not to change or add to requirements. If you are willing to confront them with some sort of written policy, then you ought to be able to confront them with this bit of knowledge. It's flat out wrong. If they don't get it, for the sake of your program, get your Unit Commissioner involved. If you don't know who that is, call the Council office, and ask to talk to your District Executive. They have that information. Do it now !!!!!!

anderson

The evidence you seek is in the manual titled Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures. This booklet is available for purchase at your local council service center.

As the other posters have said, no individual, group or unit may add to, or subtract from the advancement requirements as listed and described in the various youth handbooks, except the nation executive board.

Make sure your leaders understand this is a BSA national regulation not a suggestion or an option.

Bob White